has anyone compared the k81dj and the k240s?
Oct 9, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #17 of 29
I own them both.

It really is a no brainer: the K240S walks all over the K81DJ.
It is LEAGUES ahead in terms of sound quality.

The K81DJ has exagerrated lowbass, and its bass is bloated, inaccurate, inarticulate, loose, boomy. The low notes of a bass guitar are perceiveed as a single continuos thundering vibration. It is hard to discern the notes.

Mids are ok even though they lack airyness, detail resolution is ok but nothing to write home about.
Highs are ok but sound a bit dry and lack top extension.

Seal is good and isolation is good too.
Comfort is so-so

K240s has better comfort, better lows that are much more controlled, not exagerrated, well articulated and detailed, better mids that are more airy and with better detail resolution, better soundstage and better highs without that K81 sense of dryiness.

Oct 9, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #18 of 29
WOAH! Some MAJOR BUMP there dude hahah..

Anyhow, thanks for that, but I don't get why the OP was even asking this, the K240s are miles ahead in the price too, or aren't they? {Memory is not my strong side}

And by now, its known that the K81DJ is a bass-heads headphone..
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #19 of 29
hehehe old thread of mine. Ive had both. I would have enjoyed the k240s more probably if I kept them. the 81dj is too muddy for me. I prefer my px100s with treble booster on the ipod to the dj. The k240s needed more power than I had at the time so I returned them. Costwise, the k240s is 89 bucks, not that much more expensive than the dj

Oct 9, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #20 of 29
I use them for a while now and after removing of screen foams bass become more controlled and tight, not ideal but much better. Also EQ settings will help a lot, IMO.
I think they are very good portables, especially for public / streets use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 81dj is too muddy for me.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #21 of 29
oh, for some odd reason i remembered they are much more costy.....

My bad
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by P.F. Jo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOAH! Some MAJOR BUMP there dude hahah..

Anyhow, thanks for that, but I don't get why the OP was even asking this, the K240s are miles ahead in the price too, or aren't they? {Memory is not my strong side}

And by now, its known that the K81DJ is a bass-heads headphone..
biggrin.gif

last time I checked (it's been a while) but the K240s can be had for ~100 or less, and my K81DJs cost me 60 after shipping (but this was on ebay).

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #23 of 29
Myy K81 are modded, with foam disc removed, and with bluetak inside the earcups, and I have burned them with 200 hours of pink noise... But still my unmodded K240s are SO MUCH BETTER... Both are bass heavy cans, but I think there's a boundary line where bass becomes simply exagerrated.

The K81 is beyond that boundary line IMHO. And if it's not fun in my book to have excessive bass, it's even worse to have excessive bass of poor quality. You just have this thick layer of growling unarticulated lowbass that intrudes in the mid frequencies.
It becomes really annoying after a while.

The K240s on the other hand really deserves the nickname groovalizers. After a short burn-in with pink noise (about 40 hours) they sound very good with a fantastc detailed, airy midrange, strong punchy, articulated bass and nice highs that are just a little tiny bit recessed but always well heard.

They are equally easy to drive, more or less.
So really no comparison between the two imho.

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
last time I checked (it's been a while) but the K240s can be had for ~100 or less, and my K81DJs cost me 60 after shipping (but this was on ebay).

Last time [size=medium]I[/size] Checked, I've addressed the issue you pointed out:

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.F. Jo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, for some odd reason i remembered they are much more costy.....

My bad
wink.gif

Next time [size=medium]YOU[/size] check, make sure you checked throughly enough.

Thanks,

-Jo

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by aych /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the k240's perform way better recabled. btw. can someone point out a thread to blutak modding and other mods? thanks

sure, just click HERE !
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman8485 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dj's have a hell lot of bass and a pretty sweet midrange. Kinda lacks the treble for rock though, unless you mod them with silver cables.

silver cables ? and where to grab em ? Ebay ?
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i guess K240 are not the right one for portable...get K81dj or K518dj then mod it (bluetak mod + removing foam) & recable it...
wink.gif

...and add some serious amount of EQ.
After you've wasted so much time with the Krap81 take a hammer and a drilling machine and treat them like they deserve and afterwards throw them into the river and watch them swim and sink.
This way you'd have some fun in the end ......

There's a reason why the OP had to bump the thread several times without getting responses.The question (not the person, so please don't take offense) was just so mind-blowingly stupid ............

The K240S are decent mid-fi cans in the fun department, and the K81 are so unbelievably bad, I mean I'm lacking words that are not immediately asterisked here ..........
-------------------
O.K. O.K. I was kidding.I just happen to detest the K81s.To each his own I guess and the Omega for me please.

And yes, I have thrown a Krap81 into the river.That was certainly the best part of the experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back