Has anyone compared the AT AD2000 to the HD600, K701 or Lambda Pro?
Dec 22, 2007 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

wae5

500+ Head-Fier
Recently, I picked up AD700s and think they’re an excellent classical phone (and a good alternative if you want K501s but can’t find them) so naturally I’m curious about AD2000s but before I spend $500, I’d like to know if anyone’s compared them to HD600s, K701s or Lambda Pros which I own and are willing to share their impressions with me? The best possible response is: You already have excellent classical phones so forget about them.

Dec 22, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 21
Meh, you have a Lamda Pro. If you want improvement, get a better source, better amp, nicer cables...e-stats are technically the best for classical, if you feed them everything they want.

Dec 22, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 21
I did a short review here.

I've since sold the HD600s since I don't like their sound. Unfortunately, I can't give you more impressions concerning your question as I have not listened for an extended period to electrostatic systems.

I would be careful about "upgrading" to something that's worse than your current system, though.

Dec 23, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 21
I've actually heard all those headphones except the AD700s, but in order to help you out, we need to know what other gear do you have or are willing to get if you upgrade to other headphones. Since you have the Lambdas, you're really just thinking the 2000s, 600s, or 701s, right? All are potentially excellent for classical music, but you have to think of the whole system (source, amp, etc) or what could be a great headphone could end up sounding not so hot.

Dec 23, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 21
Thanks MaloS for your comments. I bought Lambda Pros in '83 but this hasn't deterred me from appreciating other phones. I enjoy the sound of new phones but sometimes don't keep them because they sound too similar to my other phones. This was the case with DT880s. I'm trying to get opinions on the AD2Ks because the AD700s are even better than my much loved K501s with K701 pads so I'm curious how AD2ks sound but want to avoid them if they sound very similar to phones I already own.

Dec 23, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've actually heard all those headphones except the AD700s, but in order to help you out, we need to know what other gear do you have or are willing to get if you upgrade to other headphones. Since you have the Lambdas, you're really just thinking the 2000s, 600s, or 701s, right? All are potentially excellent for classical music, but you have to think of the whole system (source, amp, etc) or what could be a great headphone could end up sounding not so hot.

I really should do my profile. I listen to these amps: LD MKIV SE and Minibox-E+ plus several others. Sources are Sony X222ES and SCD-CE595 CD players. Phones are Lambda Pros with SRM-1/MK-2 amp, HD600s, K501s with K701 pads, K701s, SR60s, MS1s, PK1s and AD700s. I auditioned and returned SR325is and DT880s. I have no special cables and listen mostly to audiophile classical CDs (Telarc, Reference Recordings, BIS, etc). I may audition the new LD MKV amp but warned David I may return it. If I have Lambdas why have anything else, right? Well, I like discovering the sound of new equipment and heaphones and amps allow me to do this relatively cheaply.

Dec 23, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 21
You seem to have all the headphones you need. I'd suggest a trip over to the amp forum as that seems to be your weakest link. You'll be amazed at how well the 600s and 701s scale if given the right stuff.

Dec 23, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 21
I'm not looking for better, just amazingly different. I love listening to phones that I haven't listened to for many months and rediscovering just how good they are and why I kept them in the first place. I rarely buy phones I can't return but the AD2ks are an exception so I want to look twice before I leap and so far I think I'm going to walk away because they may not be much different from my other good phones. And the Mac Mini is another itch I'd really like to scratch.

Dec 23, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not looking for better, just amazingly different. I love listening to phones that I haven't listened to for many months and rediscovering just how good they are and why I kept them in the first place. I rarely buy phones I can't return but the AD2ks are an exception so I want to look twice before I leap and so far I think I'm going to walk away because they may not be much different from my other good phones. And the Mac Mini is another itch I'd really like to scratch.

Try talking to ASR in PMs. He heard all of those headphones I believe, and owned most of them.

Dec 23, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Recently, I picked up AD700s and think they’re an excellent classical phone (and a good alternative if you want K501s but can’t find them) so naturally I’m curious about AD2000s but before I spend $500, I’d like to know if anyone’s compared them to HD600s, K701s or Lambda Pros which I own and are willing to share their impressions with me? The best possible response is: You already have excellent classical phones so forget about them.

I have owned all of the dynamic phones mentioned, and I currently have the old original Lambda, although not the Lambda Pro. As concerns the AD700/AD2000, the latter has a similar signature, but more refined sound. I did a classical review a while back with a bunch of the better dynamic cans. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/cla...winded-195589/ The AD2000 had strengths for sure, but overall I much prefered the HD600. The Audio Technicas just can't reproduce the fine harmonics of a violin, and the midrange has an elevated "honky" sound. The AD2000 have a wonderful deeeep bass, and I found them very comfortable.

If I were you, I think I would concentrate on your Stax rig. FWIW, I have gotten really fantastic sound out of my vintage Stax (SRX-MKIII, SR-5 and Lambda) with the adaptors and a vintage tube amp. Surprisingly, the two best sounding amps that I have tried are an old single ended modded and upgraded Magnavox EL84 console amp, and my current amp is an old early 1960's vintage Grundig PP EL84 console amp. The Grundig amp/SRD-6 combo beats my SRM1-MKII Stax amp for both detail, openness and dynamics.

Good luck!

Dec 23, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #11 of 21
I currently have the AD2000, HD600, K701 and a Headphile-modified Lambda Pro. I've heard a demo AD700 a few times, but not with my own gear.

AT-HA5000 > AD2000
Raptor > HD600, K701
KGSS > Lambda Pro
Source: Chord DAC64

The AD2000 is more refined and better-balanced than the AD700. I think the AD700 is not bad for its price, and it is surprisingly decent with a modest amp and source. It doesn't scale much, though, and lacks bass quantity and bass details compared to the AD2000, among other things. I also thought the AD700 construction to be a bit flimsy and plasticky.

The AD2000 can easily compete with the HD600 and K701, but I don't think it does well with classical music. It is more forward-sounding, like Grados, and has a smaller headstage and soundstage. I use the AD2000 mostly with pop, female vocals, electronica and some jazz.

The Headphile Lambda Pro has very good clarity and details. Bass impact isn't great, but it compares OK vs. the K701 and less well vs. the HD600 and AD2000. Soundstage isn't very large, but imaging and separation are good.

Of the four, the K701 would be my pick for classical music, primarily due to its expansive soundstage. There are areas where the HD600, AD2000 and Lambda Pro are superior, such as bass impact, details and texture, so it might be dependent on specific preferences.

Dec 23, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned all of the dynamic phones mentioned, and I currently have the old original Lambda, although not the Lambda Pro. As concerns the AD700/AD2000, the latter has a similar signature, but more refined sound. I did a classical review a while back with a bunch of the better dynamic cans. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/cla...winded-195589/ The AD2000 had strengths for sure, but overall I much prefered the HD600. The Audio Technicas just can't reproduce the fine harmonics of a violin, and the midrange has an elevated "honky" sound. The AD2000 have a wonderful deeeep bass, and I found them very comfortable.

If I were you, I think I would concentrate on your Stax rig. FWIW, I have gotten really fantastic sound out of my vintage Stax (SRX-MKIII, SR-5 and Lambda) with the adaptors and a vintage tube amp. Surprisingly, the two best sounding amps that I have tried are an old single ended modded and upgraded Magnavox EL84 console amp, and my current amp is an old early 1960's vintage Grundig PP EL84 console amp. The Grundig amp/SRD-6 combo beats my SRM1-MKII Stax amp for both detail, openness and dynamics.

Good luck!

I know "search" is my best friend but I must have overlooked it. In any case thank you for clearing the cobwebs from my mind and saving me $500. The check's in the mail.
biggrin.gif

I share your enthusiasm for K501s. After hearing them I immediately ordered a second pair which is safely boxed away waiting for that inevitable rainy day. I use them with K701 pads which brings out the bass. They remind me of planar screens without a subwoofer. One reason I wanted to hear AD700s is I had a hunch they could be a reasonable substitute for those who'd like to have K501s but can't find them. My intial impression is they're as good as the K501s with slightly fuller and more extended bass. Another thing good about AD700's is they're the only phone (besides other ATs using the same type of pad) I know of that have easily adjustable earpads. I add thin pieces of foam to change the thickness.

BTW, I don't know what these adaptors are that you're using with your Stax phones. Are they transformers that permit Stax earspeakers to be used with non Stax amps? Do you think they'd work with my low output (.3 watts) LD MKIV SE tube HP amp?

Thanks again for all your help,

Bill

Dec 23, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

I know "search" is my best friend but I must have overlooked it. In any case thank you for clearing the cobwebs from my mind and saving me $500. The check's in the mail.
biggrin.gif

I share your enthusiasm for K501s. After hearing them I immediately ordered a second pair which is safely boxed away waiting for that inevitable rainy day. I use them with K701 pads which brings out the bass. They remind me of planar screens without a subwoofer. One reason I wanted to hear AD700s is I had a hunch they could be a reasonable substitute for those who'd like to have K501s but can't find them. My intial impression is they're as good as the K501s with slightly fuller and more extended bass. Another thing good about AD700's is they're the only phone (besides other ATs using the same type of pad) I know of that have easily adjustable earpads. I add thin pieces of foam to change the thickness.

BTW, I don't know what these adaptors are that you're using with your Stax phones. Are they transformers that permit Stax earspeakers to be used with non Stax amps? Do you think they'd work with my low output (.3 watts) LD MKIV SE tube HP amp?

Thanks again for all your help,

Bill

I'm glad you like the K501 as well. I haven't been using mine lately, even tried to swap them toward a Stax SR-303 a while back. I think I'll get them out again over the holidays.

The AD2000's were not my favorite for classical music, but they did have their strengths. They were nice to wear and I wanted to like them, but the midrange coloration bothered me, and I missed the fine detail that the AKG's (esp) and Sennheisers give. Overall, I do not think that the AD700's are quite in the same league as the K501, but they have deeper bass and are so much easier to drive.

The Stax adaptors are transformer boxes that hook up to speaker terminals on an amplifier. They sound great if you have a detailed amp with a good soundstage. Your headphone amp won't do it, but it could serve as a nice preamp for a larger tube amp with perhaps about 10 wpc minimum. The old 15 wpc Magnavox tube amps with simple mods are fantastic for driving the Stax transformers. The difficult thing these days is to find a Pro Bias transformer. The older Normal Bias transformers are very common.

Good luck!

Dec 23, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surprisingly, the two best sounding amps that I have tried are an old single ended modded and upgraded Magnavox EL84 console amp, and my current amp is an old early 1960's vintage Grundig PP EL84 console amp. The Grundig amp/SRD-6 combo beats my SRM1-MKII Stax amp for both detail, openness and dynamics.

You HAVE to post some pics of these vintage beauties in the STAX thread. Please
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You HAVE to post some pics of these vintage beauties in the STAX thread. Please
biggrin.gif

OK, I will do that over the holidays. The Maggotbox is kind of cute but the Grundig is not pretty to look at. I am going to make a nice wooden base and order a new Hammond cage for the Grundig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back