Has Anyone Built this DIY MP3 Player
Jun 2, 2006 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ppl

Building amps and assuring water resistance.
Hear is an interesting project it appears to be an Audiophile grade MP3 player available in severial states of compleation from PCB only to complete kit
mp3_pcb_kit.jpg

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 23
Looks pretty cool. Luckily I lack the technical know-how and ability to make one, so that saves me some $.
icon10.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 23
the Reason i was atracted to this project is it is somthing you can not buy ready made. Sure its bigger than an ipod however dose an ipod use a 24 bit DAC similar to the DACs used in most mid to high end DVD players! No. Anyway the compleated board looks like somthing to play with as the fpga is preprogramed and the firmware is in the plublic domain and it looks like its farly easy to use with windows. The unit is also quite large.

Battery life is claimed to be between 6-9 hours with 4 1500 MAh
Sise AA NI-MH. an IDE connector will fit standard 2.5" hard drives and you can use windows to format the HD (FAT32) and also transfer MP3 files.

The new hammond cases look custom made for somthing like this and the new hammonds feature a battery compartment. first is the new 1455A series or
R250_ExB.jpg

this should be a great project althought it could have used a USB as opposed to a serial port as an interface

Update it appers that one builder added USB support

Jun 3, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 23
Whoa, that's an amazing piece of hardware.

Seems to me that it'd be perfect for installing in a car. You could stealth it in there and no radio thief would have any idea what it was.

Kinda wish I hadn't sprung for the iPod interface now... this is a better solution.

Jun 3, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 23
Hey,

This might not be a bad idea. After all, many of us keep most of our music that we listen in mpeg3 form. With the advent of FLAC format, we don't really need CDs anymore except for backup/original purpose.

I really like the gentleman who built an audio component. I think it is about time where Audiophile MP3 Component Player come into the market. (I don't really hear much difference from CDs and MP3. ... Only little. Nothing I can't live with.)

T

P.S. 160GB!!? Wow!

Jun 3, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 23
I wonder if it can fit into a 1455N1601 case...

EDIT: Crap it's 1.905mm too wide to slide into the case. Maybe a little shave will make it fit

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #10 of 23
Audiophile MP3 - There is no such thing.

That's the reason I like the ipod - 2 armv7 cpus onboard, which can decode about anything. Very flexible. Even if the DAC is not absolute uber high end.

Jun 3, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by barkas
Audiophile MP3 - There is no such thing.

That's the reason I like the ipod - 2 armv7 cpus onboard, which can decode about anything. Very flexible. Even if the DAC is not absolute uber high end.

well, gee. I can't tell the difference between the CD and lossless mp3, but if you can, all the more power to you.

Jun 3, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 23
There is no lossless mp3. I concede, as you go up the bitrate ladder, you might not be able to notice the difference. IMO 320kbit is the highest specified, though.

EDIT: badly encoded (bladeenc for example) 128kbit mp3 sounds really bad

Jun 3, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by barkas
There is no lossless mp3. I concede, as you go up the bitrate ladder, you might not be able to notice the difference. IMO 320kbit is the highest specified, though.

EDIT: badly encoded (bladeenc for example) 128kbit mp3 sounds really bad

320 kbps is the highest specified, but with some programs I beleive I've seen 560 pop up. But once you get to 320 kbps you might as well go to FLAC.

Jun 3, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #14 of 23
Yes the firmware is this projects major issue however im sure a codac can be found to play wave files because with the possibility of over 100 GB of storage available relitivly cheep just think of how manny lossless CD's you can pack into that and its transportable from the Home to the car to the Beach? all we need is for some sharp software code writer to do somthing like a Rockbox firmware update. also the use of a free codac limits what can be decoded so perhapps paying whatever licence needed for the codac you like.

Jun 4, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #15 of 23
Well, I read most of the pages at PJRC. Looks pretty straight up. Is anyone thinking of building? The price looks like it will end up in the 300 dollar range. I am not intimidated by the build, but the computer stuff has me stumped. I wonder if I could build the thing correctly only to be buttonhooked by the weak geek syndrome! Man... That's the only thing that has me thinking twice.......100GB.........Sigh..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back