has anyone built DIY unbalanced interconnects using Belden 89259 and Mogami 2534?
Aug 9, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any comparison?
Thank you very much
ps. I searched the board and AA but nothing came up.

It so happens that Neglex Quad, 2534 is my all-time standard interconnect.
I have used it extensively un-balanced and have found that when it is not optimum for a combination it is almost always subtractive, never additive to the source.

It is a bit more work to put together a set of cables with it, you can't rush the process. At least I can't. I trim back the spiral copper shield on the terminal or out end, grounding only the source end. Use heatshrink at the trimmed unshielded end over the cable to ensure no shield strand gets a stray ground.

I paralell the two pairs, blue-clear, blue-clear. I start, using about 1/2" (12.5mm) wire, I strip & twist the clear together about 1/8" (3.1mm) and tin them, then the same for the blue. Good soldering is a must, that needs not be said I suppose. Just make sure the wire is contacting metal on the plug or jack before soldering. These are small stiff wires so patience is helpful.

Most of my gear is Vacuum Tube and thus fairly high impedance. The cables have a very low (rf) noise floor and an excelent frequency balance. Conventional thinking seems to lean towards coax for high impedance but I haven't found anything I like better over all.

I would call them warm to neutral, if you have a source that is too zingy or hot at the top the 2534 won't help. They may smooth it out, but they aren't going to hide it. They just aren't peaky or rolled off to my ears. I think they come out at around 110 ohms impedance.

They were in vogue years ago. I think they were written up in Audio Amature or Glass Audio in the late 80's (my memory ain't so good anymore) Old Colony Sound Labs used to sell it by the foot. It's still easy to source.

They do need to break in, but you won't suffer if they are not.
Give 'em a try I don't think you will be dissapointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back