Has any E-mu given you trouble with gaming?
May 2, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
But now I'm pretty much happy with the a2/0404 combo. Except the drivers were like hell to get working together.

I thought I would have this problem, I installed my 0404 when I had the day off from work the next day. I was prepared to spend all night getting the two cards to play nice.

First I ran Driver Cleaner and wiped everything Creative related, then installed the Audigy 2 from scratch with the latest drivers.

Then I installed the EMU off the cd but chose NOT to overwrite. After I was back in windows I installed the driver updates.

I rebooted and prepared for BSOD or other issues I had read about. Set Winamp to the EMU, worked fine, played a game with the Audigy........worked fine.........

No problems at all, I think the key was not overwriting the drivers on the install of the EMU.

May 3, 2005 at 12:45 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabbe
Also checking that the windows sound acceleration settings are not at maximum for playback is a good thing to check.. I use standard which seems fine.

My cut out appears to be gone! HOLY HELL IT WAS THAT SIMPLE

ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

May 6, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #34 of 44
Good for you Cthulhu.. I found out that reloading the patchmix session helps A LOT.

I could play rome: total war for a long time (30-60mins) without any cutoff after I reloaded the session. I've now experienced only 1 cutoff when playing right after session reload.. and I've played many hours. That's pretty good.

I've talked about this issue in the productionforums and the emu guys know it. The "fix" won't be in the next driver version though.. too soon. But they're working on it.

It definitely has something to do with patchmix and the drivers. The windows sound acceleration thing didn't fix this for me.. with basic acceleration stuff gets even more screwed.. the standard (recommended) acceleration seems to be the best. But reloading the patchmix session really helps a lot. I recommend trying it if you guys have problems.

May 7, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #35 of 44
worked fine for UT2004 and Counter Strike 1.6
worked fine for Mabinogi
worked fine for White album, Air and Kanon
worked fine for Melty blood / Re.Act and Eternal Fighter Zero

had some issues playing the BGM properly with Party's Breaker, got it fixed eventually but forgot how.

ayanami ikuseki keikaku -> major problems playing the BGMs. had to turn down hardware acceleration with dxdiag and worked fine afterwards.

note that i havnt used 3d mode with those FPS games

May 7, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #36 of 44
I had problems when playing mafia, yet other games such as max payne 1/2, nfs underground and others worked fine.

a few weeks ago I steel had my audigy2ZS, so I just had a digital loop-back from the audigy to the 1212M, and it was the best sound I have ever heard in games.

now I have no problems, yet I found out that a digital loop-back using the onboard realtek chip works great for games.

May 7, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
...Running an Audigy 2 to the EMU 0404 is a much better, if not a perfect solution.

Since the Audigy output is 48 khz, unless you run the EMU at 48 you will always hear this faint distortion in the background no matter what you do.

If you set the emu to 48 khz, then you run into the problem of music being 44 khz, so then you can resample to 48.......but that uses CPU cycles.

Has anyone else noticed this faint distortion in the background?

May 7, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJackSkanz

I have, and it doesn't matter what the external digital source is. Xbox, PS2, or my motherbard's Soundstorm, they all gave me these odd and very distracting crackles. Setting PatchMix to use the external clock on the S/PDIF signal lessened it markedly, but it persisted still. Setting it to use the internal clock at 48kHz seems to have fixed it completely for me. I don't use my PS2 terribly often (currently it's the only external digital source as my Xbox and Soundstorm are connected to my Dolby Headphone setup), so just leaving PatchMix at 44kHz all the time and switching to 48kHz when I play games on the PS2 is no big deal.

May 7, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJackSkanz

It is not faint. It's absolutely enormous 44->48khz distortion. That's why I have to use 48khz when I play games through the A2. You'd think that the 0404 could resample it to 44 khz without problems, but I can't. Sounds horrible.

May 7, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #40 of 44
Does this distorstion happens with the 1212m to ?

May 8, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #41 of 44
yes it does.

I had to switch to sample rate to external whebn using the audigy input, and the realter 650 input as well.

May 8, 2005 at 9:12 AM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
It is not faint. It's absolutely enormous 44->48khz distortion. That's why I have to use 48khz when I play games through the A2. You'd think that the 0404 could resample it to 44 khz without problems, but I can't. Sounds horrible.

Yeah perhaps I understated with the word faint, it sounds especially bad when you walk on glass in CS : Source, and the title music for Silent Hill 4 was completely screwed up, bleh.

May 8, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #43 of 44
never had any problems. then again my pc uses well known components which has stood the test of time (like abit nf7-s rev2 motherboard is so stable and good) and windows xp is installed with sp2 preconfigured in the windows cd and i tweak a lot of services. always helps when playing games and getting rid of problems.

anyway never had problems with my 0404 appart with my TV card which I had to take out (never used it anway).

games that I play:
Counter Strike (1.6)
Half Life 2
Doom3
Warhammer 40000 dawn of war

when playing CS i use ventrilo voice communication as well with my usb mic. no problems. all sweet here
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back