Has an artists behaviour ever turned you off their music?
May 18, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #62 of 172
Modest Mouse. I was never a big fan of their music, but when the lead singer was accused of rape (regardless if he actually did it or not) I just lost what little interest I had in them.

These Arms Are Snakes. They're another Seattle band that seems to be getting lots of hype. Most (not all) of the members are serious pricks and are on a total rock star trip.

Metallica. C'mon, suing your fans??? I'll listen to them, but I'll never buy one of their albums
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #63 of 172
when I found that the Deftones was just a bunch of stuck up a******s that are better then everyone else and their music (
rolleyes.gif
) my respect went down for them. this is also the case with a few other bands, but i dont think ive ever not lisyened to a band becasue of what they do.

Except all pop s**t that is put out on the radio today, but that really isnt music, is it?

Post edited by Moderator for foul language...Let's keep it clean, please.

May 28, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #64 of 172
(warning, slipknot fans [though I doubt any exist here] take with a grain of salt)

I completely refuse to listen to a song of Slipknot's, besides the fact that the music is crap on a stick (read: way too many instruments at one time) they get off on selling an image and are complete sell-outs.

I purposly "stole" their cd when I saw it online a week earily for 2 reasons. 1. They dont deserve a dime they will make from that album. 2. My gf loves em, so I got bonus points on her side by burning it for her. lol.

I hate when music isn't about music.

Ps. One page bump
tongue.gif

May 28, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #65 of 172
I'd have to say Roger Waters... too full of himself, and his own pretentiousness.. that said I still love the music .. but its always in the back of my mind (actually the exact same could be said for Richard D. James [Aphex Twin])

I'd echo comments about Michael Jackson and Metallica too.

May 30, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #67 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenwik
Maybe I missed it, but I can't believe no one has mentioned Metallica. I always felt kinda neutral towards their music (metal was never my favorite). But after they started sueing their own fans I could no longer stand to hear their songs (I mean, it was bad enough when they cut their hair).

For that matter, any band that is on a label that is a member of RIAA annoys me, and I will usually avoid buying their albums, unless they are super cool, and even then, I try to pick it up used.

I always felt so very strong about that, I mean they started out by music trading and all of a sudden they are sueing their own fans. Sure mp3 sharing did rip the record companies off but not the band. the band doesnt make much on a cd so there was really no point to them going to napster and having their own fans kicked off.....Ever since then I hated lars as he was the ring leader. I grew up on metallica and bands like that, I remember a old rock station playing garage days on the radio, they played the entire album so you could record it, metallica was in the studio and I believe it was their first time on radio in chicago...........lol

when saint anger came out I knew a few kids so pissed at metallica that they made something like 1000's of copies and gave away for $.44 to cover the cost of the cdr.....hahahaha good !

May 31, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #68 of 172
there's no one... But there Is a lot of artists and group out there that really suck but not because of there behaviour or how they look.

And I know that Michael Jackson might look a Little wierd and is accused for child abuse (trust me he's innocent). But If that makes you stop listen to his musical talent then I feel sorry for you 'cause he is without a doubt one of the world's biggest musical genius/talent in history of music.

May 31, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #69 of 172
You people make me laugh. There's always gonna be jerks, there's always gonna be christian messages, there's always gonna be punchups, there's always gonna be crap of some kind.
Buddy Rich, best drummer in the world. Any of you guys ever heard the bootleg tapes of him on the bus, screaming and shouting and swearing non stop to his band members? You can find it on the net. Did that put me off listening to his music? Nope. He and his music is incredible. Frank Sinatra had a punchup with buddy rich, sinatra being connected with the mafia. Did that put me off listening to sinatra? Nope. I couldn't care less if michael jackson is guilty or not. It won't put me off listening to all the great music he's recorded. You gotta recognise genius/talent, and you gotta realise some musicians are moody, weird, jerks, etc., it's in their nature. If you liked the music enough, you wouldn't be put off.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #70 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
After I saw a very large furry spider, I just couldn't like them anymore... not for arachnophobic reasons, but I feel sort of scared to death about them now. I can't enjoy them anymore, thinking of all those furry legs.

In my book 'no but = yes' and 'yes but = no' just put into nicer words.

That is like the best post ever!
biggrin.gif

For me it would have to be Oasis. What posers.

edit - Why didn't I think of Metallica? I could barely stomach it when you could barely hear their live concert from our apartment.

And the Dixie Chicks? I actually respect them more now.
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 7:56 AM Post #73 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by phkd
michael jackson. I don't know if he's guilty or not, but I'm afraid I might picture his hideous fake face in my mind if i hear him hahaha.

I have a problem with him now, too...
frown.gif
It's all just become too much for me to deal with...The strange thing is they're playing his records like mad over here, right now, adn I don't understand why...
confused.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #74 of 172
I used to be a U2 fan then I saw them in France in '84. Bono was so theatrical it made me sick. The crowd was pushing pretty hard up front and a girl was lifted out of the crowd and onto the stage. Bono ran over and put his arm around her and helped her to the side of the stage. Thing was, he did it in such a pantomime/ mock concern kinda way it just ruined Bono for me. It was so obvious to me that he was putting on a show. What should have/could have been a genuine gesture just became a display of self-righteousness. You kinda had to be there to see how fake it came across. Yuk.
CPW

Jun 1, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #75 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan_01
if i find out that the band members are drunks or drug addicts or stuff like that i can't respect them.

I would suggest listening to some good music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back