Has an artists behaviour ever turned you off their music?
Mar 28, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #46 of 172
Originally posted by usc goose
and i guess i'll clarify. i actually like most christian music. just not the rock stuff. i love gospel and i'm even a pretty decent kirk franklin fan. but electric guitars and distorion have no place in praising our lord and savior jesus christ i feel.
(...)

Was the title: «Has an artists behaviour ever turned you off their music?»

Since it seems that the difference between action and conviction has been successfully re-established, I will say that I hate so much the indifference, on stage, of Robert Fripp that I stopped listening to King Crimson music for a while. But music from an artist is bigger than the artist I soon realized that I was punishing myself
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Apr 29, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #47 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Knowing Frank Sinatra once pushed a woman through a plate glass window nearly severing her arm has had me unable to hear his music.

Michael Jackson.

Apr 29, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #50 of 172
The only band I can think of that turned me off for any reason was Lynrd Skynrd. That anti gun P.O.S. song they did, had a very strong negative affect on me. I won't even listen to their stuff on the radio. Non of their stuff is allowed in my house.

The political activisms of various artists really don't bother me much, as long as it's not in your face in a song. Maybe if I saw them being way out there promoting something I strongly disagree with, I may rethink my attitude of them. Like Barbara Streisand. She can get pretty far out with her political views. Thankfully I don't like her music anyway, so I don't have to think about whether to buy her stuff or not.

Didn't everyone know Elton was gay, like way back in the 70's? I love his music, at least the older stuff. I don't care if he is gay or not. I like Cheryl Crow, but I don't know what she did. If I liked the Dixie Chicks music I would buy it. It's got nothing to do with what they said.

I don't like Christian rock, just because. Although I will admit to seeing Stryper in concert once. It wasn't bad, but I was just beginning my life with out alcohol at that time, and I was kind of weird.

Apr 29, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #51 of 172
I'm gonna get flamed for this, but aren't you all overreacting a bit? Refusing to eat at a fast food place (OK, whining about it) because they've got Bible verses on the cups? And I thought Christians were the freaked out ones... I'm a Christian, and have no morals issues listening to Pantera, Metallica, Tool, Elton, (gays and the church, you know...) whatever. Nor do I go running to whine about how an athiest tried to convert me. I realize that not everyone believes what I do, and that if I sit at home in my shell and only talk with Christians/only listen to Christian music/only read Christian books I'm hurting myself and others by not learning about their beliefs and talking with them. I mean, talk about not being open-minded...

That being said, I absolutely hate all of modern country music. I used to like some the 90s stuff (early Garth Brooks especially), but then they all sold out and turned into pop/rock.

Oh yeah, yes, a lot of Christian rock does suck. However, because it's Christian, people snap it up. But then, there's a lot of sucky mainstream rock too. Trapt, Staind, and Disturbed come to mind. However, Skillet is one Christian group that's actually decent. They went from sort-of techno/rock to hard rock, and now they're in between hard rock and nu metal. But they're fairly original, at least for Christian stuff, and they've got awesome concerts
biggrin.gif

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 29, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #52 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
The only band I can think of that turned me off for any reason was Lynrd Skynrd. That anti gun P.O.S. song they did, had a very strong negative affect on me.

What is the "anti gun P.O.S." song? I'm only familiar with Ronnie Van Zant (pre-plane crash 1977)) Skynyrd. I loved Lynyrd Skynyrd back in the late 70s.

Spin Skynyrd's 'Gimme back my Bullets' and maybe all will be forgiven
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #53 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
After I came to know that Elton John is gay, I just could not enjoy his music... not for homophobic reasons, but I feel a sort of disassociation about what he sings and his lifestyle... I can't enjoy his love songs, thinking that it was written for a guy.

They're not

All of Elton John's "personal" songs - that is, songs not written for plays or movies - have lyrics written by Taupin, his straight collaborator, if that should be of any importance.

His songs always have been. It is considered one of the longest lasting collaborations in the history of music. Taupin writes the lyrics, John writes the music.

Oh, yeah, on topic. I was never a "fan" but Kenny Rogers. Like others have mentioned towards artists they're seen, while I never saw Rogers live, I saw a taped concert and he was cold and somewhat of a jerk to his fans.

Apr 29, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #54 of 172
radiohead is a band of pretentious wankers with all their political views and all that "hail to the thief" stuff, they think they're smarter than everyone else, and even worse, their live shows suck, no energy, a big fat snoozefest if you ask me

Apr 29, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #56 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
After I came to know that Elton John is gay, I just could not enjoy his music... not for homophobic reasons, but I feel a sort of disassociation about what he sings and his lifestyle... I can't enjoy his love songs, thinking that it was written for a guy.

I feel the same way about Bryan Adams *cringes.*

Michael Jackson is another I can bring myself to listen to anymore. Child molester or not, his lifestyle and self-mutilation are too bizarre.

Apr 29, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #57 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
radiohead is a band of pretentious wankers with all their political views and all that "hail to the thief" stuff, they think they're smarter than everyone else, and even worse, their live shows suck, no energy, a big fat snoozefest if you ask me

OK, perhaps I've been living in an alternate universe/on shrooms, but I seem to recall you frequently ranting on and on about how great Radiohead is, even going so far as to have a self-proclaimed Radiohead Advertising Counter in your sig. Was it or this just heavy sarcasm? I haven't really had enough sleep to detect sarcasm yet.

Apr 30, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #58 of 172
Maybe I missed it, but I can't believe no one has mentioned Metallica. I always felt kinda neutral towards their music (metal was never my favorite). But after they started sueing their own fans I could no longer stand to hear their songs (I mean, it was bad enough when they cut their hair).

For that matter, any band that is on a label that is a member of RIAA annoys me, and I will usually avoid buying their albums, unless they are super cool, and even then, I try to pick it up used.

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #59 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
OK, perhaps I've been living in an alternate universe/on shrooms, but I seem to recall you frequently ranting on and on about how great Radiohead is, even going so far as to have a self-proclaimed Radiohead Advertising Counter in your sig. Was it or this just heavy sarcasm? I haven't really had enough sleep to detect sarcasm yet.

I'm sure I can speak for him in saying that it was definitely heavy on the sarcasm.
biggrin.gif
He's a Radio-head, and I enjoy reading his posts for that reason.

No one with have a brain would ever say that Radiohead is dull live. If you ever have the chance to see them in concert, do yourselve a favour and go. They are quite amazing and it will boost your opinion of the band up about 500%. For example, at the beginning of 'Everything In Its Right Place', Thom sings a couple lines into the microphone, and then the band starts to play the music, and throughout the song you can hear his vocals (from those original first two lines) being manipulated and played back over him singing in real time. Awesome stuff. If you would like audio of what I'm trying to describe, listen to the song 'Everything In Its Right Place' from their live EP, called "I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings."

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #60 of 172
Ah, good. I thought I was just losing it for a bit there. Yes, Radiohead does indeed rock. And no, never seen 'em. One day, hopefully, I will. Until then, I'll busy myself collecting their CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back