Has amp making evolved?
Apr 26, 2008 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just wondering what wonders the years have wrought. How would a Headroom Airhead 10 years ago compare to a Bithead of today, strictly from an amp standpoint? How about an early Meier design compared to a recent one? Have their been sound improvements? Or just circuit tweaks for better battery life, etc?

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 16
Hey chadbang. I am a ghost from head-fi's past. Hahaha, kidding, but seriously, I have not posted in a long time, so I am curious as to the response here. Specifically, is the maestrobator still regarded as the king of amps for the hp-1000s? Has anyone really outclassed the KGSS for the Omega II's? Hmmm.

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey chadbang. I am a ghost from head-fi's past. Hahaha, kidding, but seriously, I have not posted in a long time, so I am curious as to the response here. Specifically, is the maestrobator still regarded as the king of amps for the hp-1000s? Has anyone really outclassed the KGSS for the Omega II's? Hmmm.

Off topic.

I took a look at some photos on your web page and all I can say is wow. Your technique and vision exemplify everything that I love about B&W photography. Thanks a lot for sharing your art on the web.

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 16
Howdy old timers.

Stuart, nice pics.

Just one thing. In all your years of photography, have you ever gotten tired of taking pictures? This has nothing to do with the quality of your pictures (which are excellent), this is just a philosophical question.

I used to love photography with a passion (but never reached your level). But lately I've been thinking, the futility of trying to preserve an imperfect copy of the world. Anyways, just a thought.

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 16
Thank you both for the very nice compliments. I appreciate them. Not to stray too far from the topic (please ignore this if you are only interested in the amps...), but to answer furball's question -- not really. All my years of photography are only about 6 years though. But I don't really see it as trying to preserve an imperfect copy of the world...that is a futile exercise. For me, it is more about bringing attention to an aspect of the world...making someone notice and appreciate something rather than simply see it and say, "Yup, that's just how it was." In that sense, I don't think it is really any different than any other type of art...it is just more literal the way most people practice it.

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 16
I'm not sure about full-size home headphone amps, but I know portable amps have definitely evolved. One word comes to mind: miniaturazation.

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks Stuartr, deep thoughts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I don't really see it as trying to preserve an imperfect copy of the world...that is a futile exercise. For me, it is more about bringing attention to an aspect of the world...making someone notice and appreciate something rather than simply see it and say, "Yup, that's just how it was." In that sense, I don't think it is really any different than any other type of art...it is just more literal the way most people practice it.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure about full-size home headphone amps, but I know portable amps have definitely evolved. One word comes to mind: miniaturazation.

I must agree with this. One look at my Tomahawk and Predator, and I'm mind boggled at how such amazing sound can come from such tiny and light devices. I remember when portable amps used to be at smallest the size of a Altoids box (well, it was pretty much an Altoids box as a shell), and used a 9V battery that lasted for less than 10 hours. Really turned me off then, but now with amps lasting up to 50-some hours (with a lithium battery), and 400-some hours (with AAAs)...blows my mind.

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 16
Yes, just take a look at the highly portable amplifiers. Like The HeadAmp Pico and RSA The Predator.
Which include a high quality amplifier and DAC is a tiny enclosure. Certainly been some evolution in this area the last couple of years.

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, just take a look at the highly portable amplifiers. Like The HeadAmp Pico and RSA The Predator.
Which include a high quality amplifier and DAC is a tiny enclosure. Certainly been some evolution in this area the last couple of years.

but there was the flute
smily_headphones1.gif

portables have gained in the battle for pocket space, but lost the battle for SQ. its a shame nobody makes a Portable pimeta anymore.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
portables have gained in the battle for pocket space, but lost the battle for SQ. its a shame nobody makes a Portable pimeta anymore.

Does Pimeta outperform Pico, Predator, 2Move?

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #12 of 16
Surely the Pimeta was just a cut-down PPA v2, therefore superceded by the Larocco Audio PRII and now the Lisa III in Phil's continuous improvement of design?

I don't agree that SQ has been sacrificed... I believe it's actually improved over the past few years. Right now I'm enjoying both the Lisa III XP, and the TTVJ Millett Hybrid Portable.

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 16
I've been away from (participating in) this forum for about 2 years. Recently just came back to see what's going on. One observation I have is there seem to be a convergence, or more focus, or popularity, or consensus, or whatever you want to call it on products from several major manufacturers. Some of the hot products from just two years back don't seem to get written up anymore, especially ones from overseas. Are we seeing an industry trend? Or is this just another phase (of what's hot and what's not)?

Another observation is that these "popular" companies seem to be pumping out more new bigger-and-better or smaller-and-better products.

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 16
I would say that well designed tube amps are much the same. Why I say this is that designs for these have been around for many years and explored and forgotten a a few times. I have a friend who designed tubes for RCA in the 40-60's and knows designs and uses forwards, upside down and backwards. Every time I would bring up something about grounding, direct coupling, feedback of any variety and on and on he would run off what they had done and how it was used. Even in digital he could look at the circuit and say . . . he understands. So while many things may appear to be new they often have been forgotten and rediscovered. New types of caps and so on helps but the design of tubes circuits have been done. Its all about application and implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back