HARX900 Better than SA5000's
Aug 22, 2009 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

GANESHA

Head-Fier
I sold my SA5000's a couple years ago and somtimes I've regretted that move. I have the RX900's now and don't regret it anymore. Compared to the 5000's the bass is much deeper and tighter. The detail is surprisingly close and the soundstage is more expanded. The highs are as good and more natural sounding. Also the clarity of each instument is at the level of the 5000's. With the improved bass I would choose the 900's over the 5000's anytime. At 1/8th the price these are a steal. I am enjoying these more than my modified HD580, Beyers '05 edition DT880, DT990 and the K701's I used to own. Besides my amp they work well through my Marantz CD5001 player and thus far only the 580's sounded good though the Marantz. The soundstage is on the par with the K701's except the expansion is more vertical. The bass is better than all the phones mentioned. In fact the DT990 bass which I considered very good, sounds a little muffled compared to these. The only problem I find is sometimes loud flute music will sound shrill but that is only on a couple CD's I have. I listen to classical and new age only, no rock. I'm not sure how these will sound with rock music or unamped. I have 100+ hours burn in and no modifications on the JVC's. I am in the process of burning in
DX3's and am looking forward to the outcome.

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 15
Wow. That's quite the claim!
popcorn.gif

Why haven't you modded them yet? I found that modifications made them sound quite a bit better.

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 15
Well that's why there are so many headphones with so many different qualities.

I find the stock 900's much too bassy. The bass intrudes on and muddies the midrange something awful, to me at least. I've started modding mine but I'm waiting on some Dynamat to complete the job. So far I've just removed the acoustic lens and felt, which has made the treble much clearer.

I'm glad you are enjoying them and saving money in the process.

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GANESHA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not very good with tools and don't want to ruin them. Can you post the best thread to modify these in case I change my mind? Thanks.

I heard that some amazing, intelligent, stud-muffin of a man made a tutorial over here.
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Compared to the 5000's the bass is much deeper and tighter. The detail is surprisingly close and the soundstage is more expanded. The highs are as good and more natural sounding.

I sold my Denon D2000s in favor of the HA RX700, same reasons as you mentioned, better control than the Denons, full sounding yet clear. I suggest playing around with some mods, stick some foam under the ear pads and see what that does for you.

Aug 23, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #10 of 15
Unlike the 900's the DX3's sounded horrible out of the box. At 30 hours now they are beginning to shine! An unbelievable sound for $110 (freight included) headphones. I still might do the mods though. Thanks for everyones feedback on the modifications.

Aug 23, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold my Denon D2000s in favor of the HA RX700, same reasons as you mentioned, better control than the Denons, full sounding yet clear. I suggest playing around with some mods, stick some foam under the ear pads and see what that does for you.

I just recabled my RX700 with some Mogami Starquad and added some dampening to the cups. I also replaced the RX700 pads with the pads from the RX900. I'm comparing it right now to my Canare recabled and modded D2000 and I must say the RX700 does a good job keeping up with the Denons. I still think the Denons edge the RX700 in detail, but I have to admit I like how the midrange on the RX700 has come forward...more forward than the D2000 and I dig that.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just recabled my RX700 with some Mogami Starquad and added some dampening to the cups. I also replaced the RX700 pads with the pads from the RX900. I'm comparing it right now to my Canare recabled and modded D2000 and I must say the RX700 does a good job keeping up with the Denons. I still think the Denons edge the RX700 in detail, but I have to admit I like how the midrange on the RX700 has come forward...more forward than the D2000 and I dig that.

I'm planning to recable them myself either Mogami or Navships, any idea whats brightest, does any particular cable add soundstage/musical separation?

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give your DX3s a little more burn time, and you'll forget about modding the RX900s.

Meh, 50/50, from my experience I still prefer my RX700's to my DX3's. At this point I'm still considering selling the DX3's to recoup the loss. Don't get me wrong, they sound damn clear, but it seems the low-end is so much muddier than the 700's, it's just annoying, I prefer punch to boom though. The DX3's are much mellower on the low-end, but are a lot clearer in the mids and hi's, almost too clear for my needs. It comes down to what you want to hear, and what can provide that for ya...I just happened to luck out on a $33 headphone for that purpose.
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

I sold my SA5000's a couple years ago and somtimes I've regretted that move. I have the RX900's now and don't regret it anymore. Compared to the 5000's the bass is much deeper and tighter. The detail is surprisingly close and the soundstage is more expanded. The highs are as good and more natural sounding. Also the clarity of each instument is at the level of the 5000's. With the improved bass I would choose the 900's over the 5000's anytime. At 1/8th the price these are a steal. I am enjoying these more than my modified HD580, Beyers '05 edition DT880, DT990 and the K701's I used to own. Besides my amp they work well through my Marantz CD5001 player and thus far only the 580's sounded good though the Marantz. The soundstage is on the par with the K701's except the expansion is more vertical. The bass is better than all the phones mentioned. In fact the DT990 bass which I considered very good, sounds a little muffled compared to these. The only problem I find is sometimes loud flute music will sound shrill but that is only on a couple CD's I have. I listen to classical and new age only, no rock. I'm not sure how these will sound with rock music or unamped. I have 100+ hours burn in and no modifications on the JVC's. I am in the process of burning in
DX3's and am looking forward to the outcome.

Not much of a comparison,comparing open and closed phones.
Stick a good source and amp into the SA5000,then tell us your opinions.
Still for $60 nothing much lost if they were no good.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning to recable them myself either Mogami or Navships, any idea whats brightest, does any particular cable add soundstage/musical separation?

I have headphones that I have recabled with Mogami 2893, Canare Starquad, and Navships (24awg silver coated copper). However, I haven't tried the 3 different cables on the same headphone so it's difficult to tell which cable provides better separation, soundstage, or treble energy. I can say that I'm not too happy with the Canare Starquad on my D2000 so I just bought some nice 24awg sheilded kapton insulated wire from Navships (2 wire twisted). When I get this wire, I plan to recable the D2000. If it goes well, I will probably recable the RX700 with the same wire. I will post my impressions when I get the new wire made up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back