Harp Music?
Aug 29, 2003 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bpm2000

500+ Head-Fier
I was at the hospital the other day for my infected nasty eye (all better now thanks
wink.gif
) but anyhoo there was a woman there playing a big harp and it was the greatest thing ever at that time. Any notable recordings of the harp to check out?

thx

Aug 29, 2003 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 10
I'll leave recommendation of classical harp music to others, as I have very few of these. A very good one is Music of Alan Hovhaness: Concerto for Harp and String Orchestra: Spirit of Trees performered by harpist Yolanda Kondonassis. I like Hovhaness a lot: he is probably one of the most misunderstood composers of our time, his music often derided as "elevator music". Yet I think he remins true to his vision -- creating beauty out of simple means.

I'll turn to music of the folk harps, which I do own quite a few:

IRISH -- lots of good harpers here, I'll just name the top of the notch: Patrick Ball is a practitioner of the brass stringed old Irish harp, and his series of four "Celtic Harp" recordings (under the label Celestial Harmonies) are sparkling with grace and beauty. On these solo albums Ball performs various Irish, Welsh and Manx folk pieces, notably the works of the great Irish harper Turlough O'Carolan. I recommend starting with volume 3, which contains the best Planxty Irwin there is.

Derek Bell, the late harper of the Chieftains, has an almost innate understanding of the music of O'Carolan -- he is the only one who can make any sense out of the last piece of O'Carolan, Farewell to Music. His albums can be hard to come buy, but do make an effort to get at least Carolan's Receipt and the live recording A Celtic Evening with Derek Bell -- a wonderfully varied program, from Irish folk to new-age compositions and some rarely performed classical pieces. You've got to appreciate his irrelevant sense of humor during the concert!

SCOTTISH -- the prime suspect is William Jackson, and the easiest album to come by is Inchcolm. The album features newly composed pieces, mostly in the traditional Scottish idiom. It showcases the Scottish "clarsach" harp in various settings -- solo, small ensemble, and with an orchestra. The final piece A lover's Call is a very pleasant surprise.

WELSH Wales has a chromatic harp called the "Triple harp", and its greatest exponent is Robin Huw Bowen. Very interesting and uplifting music. The only album that is easy to find is The Sweet Harp of My Land

Edit -- P.S.: do you say "harper" or "harpist"?

Aug 29, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 10
I don't listen to classical harp, but I've got a fair amoung of Celtic harp material.

An album I listen to constantly is Sylvia Woods' "The Harp of Bransiwhiere". Celtic harp with accompaniment. Stunningly good, but extremely difficult to find.

Also, you might look for CD's by a duo called Sileas. This is a pair of Scottish women who play harp. One uses metal strings while the other uses nylon (IIRC), for an interesting counterpoint. They have two or three albums out, and each one is great.

Aug 29, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 10
Hirsch,

A little OT, but what was that harp CD I listened to at your place last eyar thru the RS-1/RA-1 combo? It was simply fabulous whatever it was.

Aug 29, 2003 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

An album I listen to constantly is Sylvia Woods' "The Harp of Bransiwhiere". Celtic harp with accompaniment. Stunningly good, but extremely difficult to find.

I've been also privileged to listen to this outstanding piece many times as well. In doing some research about it I stumbled upon the artist's web site, were I believe you can purchase the album, I have not tried to buy it myself, but it appears to be an "standard procedure" web purchase. The link follows

The harp of Brandiswhiere

CD..

Aug 30, 2003 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 10
I recall a performer named Nancy Allen who has quite a few harp recordings. I have some of her recordings on LP that I got from a friend. When his turntable was damaged during a move, it was an opportunity for him to use the insurance money to buy a CD player and go digital, back in '85.

Aug 30, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 10
Try Andreas Vollenweider, his music is really relaxing and very nice I got all his CDs and I was looking for more......serious great musician!!!!!

Aug 30, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Try Andreas Vollenweider, his music is really relaxing and very nice I got all his CDs and I was looking for more......serious great musician!!!!!

Definitely worth getting is his double live CD -- exciting new arrangements of his well-known pieces, together with lots of pieces that cannot be found on his studio albums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back