harmful to your amp if you connect or pull out the headphones while it is still on?
Oct 26, 2003 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ptrick

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

Is it at all harmful to your amp if you connect or pull out the headphones while it is still on? Just wondering after reading fewtch's comments:

Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Interesting that you don't like the Neutrik locking headphone jacks. I'm not too big a fan myself, and can only imagine walking a little too far and pulling the amp (and maybe whatever it's connected to) right off the shelf. However they do help protect against issues like where a 1/4" plug could pull partway out and end up shorting the internals and frying the amp if left that way for too long. I believe that's their main benefit, protection of the electronics inside the amp.

I've done it quite a lot with my 580's to my Corda, mainly switching between the senns and my SR60's while listening. Anything to be worried about?

Thanks
frown.gif

Oct 26, 2003 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 13
Yes, I believe it's dangerous to leave your amp without a load for very long. I make sure to not leave mine like that.

Oct 26, 2003 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 13
There are two things: One problem could be the aforementioned frying on amp circuits without short circuit protection - many have that, though. Another problem can be high dc offset in certain setups, so at least turning down the volume for inserting or removing the headphone seems generally recommendable. Personally, I also always turn the volume down when switching inputs on amps.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: It's bit like with cds: A very careful user would try to avoid any scratching and dust and keep an eye on correct storage, while a somewhat careful user would at least try to avoid scratches - whereas average Joe will have a fairly busy error correction and tolerate a dropout here and there.
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2003 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 13
This is not an issue with solid state amps. Plug your headphones in and out at will. Fewtch is right, however, in that shorting the output is not going to be good. However, most headphone jacks won't let this happen.

It is an issue with tube amps, and leaving a tube amp on without a load can damage tubes/transformers unless some sort of protection circuitry is in place.

Oct 26, 2003 at 4:11 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
This is not an issue with solid state amps. Plug your headphones in and out at will. Fewtch is right, however, in that shorting the output is not going to be good. However, most headphone jacks won't let this happen.

It is an issue with tube amps, and leaving a tube amp on without a load can damage tubes/transformers unless some sort of protection circuitry is in place.

Ohhh, okay, I wasn't sure if that was just for tube gear or not. Guess I don't have to worry anymore.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2003 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 13
The PPA had this problem, as it has no protection for the buffers, and one fo the solutions was limiting the current on the PSU a little under the maximum that the buffers are able to handle, in the PPA case, they will handle about 800mA, with the 5002, well, just limit it to 500mA-600mA and you will be on the safe side, even if you short them...anyway if you are careful enough when removing the plug it will be not a big deal, it just takes a fraction of a second....OTOH I believe that the locking 1/4 is more problematic on this issue, as most of the headphones nowadays have an adapter coupled on the plug, to go from 1/8 to 1/4 (senns, sony AT, etc are like that) and the locking is more prone to leave the adapter in during any mistake, I don't know but IMO, this will be more problematic, than just a regular jack, so on my amps just regular good neutrik non locking jacks and period

Oct 26, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks guys for your responses! I can sleep a little easier now.

Cheers,
Pat.

Oct 26, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
The PPA had this problem, <snip> OTOH I believe that the locking 1/4 is more problematic on this issue,

Yikes ! Double yikes !

I've been switching cans without a second thought. I usually turn the volume down though... I haven't experienced a problem yet.

Tube gear is a different concern though. I used to power down my MPX3, now I use a Grado "Y" cable to switch cans. I also switch at will with the EMP as I believe the topology is different from the MPX3 and it isn't a concern. YMMV...

Oct 26, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 13
If it doesnt damage the amp then Ill stop from turning it on and off and just put the volume down, cause I realy hate that pop in the phones when you turn on the amp, Ive read it doesnt damage them but I still think "auch!" every time I hear it

Oct 27, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 13
With Amplifiers that do not have output current limiting like the PPA as long as music is muted while unpluging the Headphones this is not going to cause damage however if you are playing your music real loud then i would turn the volume down on any Amplifier prior to connecting or unconecting the Phones as it will cause stress evean if Current limiting is used

Oct 27, 2003 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 13
I would say its safe. It better be safe because my headroom little got no on and off switch. Dont want to keep unplugging it. I always turn the volume down completly though before switching.

Oct 28, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
OTOH I believe that the locking 1/4 is more problematic on this issue, as most of the headphones nowadays have an adapter coupled on the plug, to go from 1/8 to 1/4 (senns, sony AT, etc are like that) and the locking is more prone to leave the adapter in during any mistake, I don't know but IMO, this will be more problematic, than just a regular jack, so on my amps just regular good neutrik non locking jacks and period

Actually, in my experience and opinon, you are incorrect. Most of the high-end headphones that I have used, including Sennheiser HD600s with aftermarket cables, do not have a hybrid 1/4+1/8" adapter. In any case, with a locking jack that retains the 1/4" part of the plug, the jack is effectively converted to a 1/8" jack - which has several advantages in the case of plug shorting. For one, a 1/8" plug has a much smaller surface and contact area, so that the risk of shorting the outputs to ground is reduced. Also, the shorter length of the 1/8" plug means that it's easier for it to be removed entirely from the jack; a tug that will only partly remove a 1/4" plug will entirely remove a 1/8" plug.

Lastly, the benefit to a locking jack is that it retains the plug until you *want* to remove the plug. If you're consciously removing the plug, you'll remember to remove it quickly and/or turn down the volume, whereas if you accidentally remove the plug, there's a greater chance of leaving it partially inserted and shorting out some contacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back