Harddrive DAP Wasteland...Has the iPod Won?
Nov 15, 2006 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

wolfen68

Headphoneus Supremus
Something I've noticed here on the forums in the recent past:

A couple of years ago, there was enthusiasm for several competing models of DAPS. The debates on sound quality and functions were fiercly contested and non-stop. Many DAPS had a strong following (eg. iPod, iriver h1xx/h3xx, Rio Karma, the iAudio x5 upstart....and some residual enthusiasm for the NJB3). Apple was always the 800 lb gorilla..but some of the smaller companies also had compelling products for the audiophile wannabe.

Nowadays, things seem to have changed. There are LOTS of models of DAPs out there, but no longer do any iPod alternatives really seem to hold the collective interest of this community. Speaking to any outsider of these forums, I would be confident in saying that, at this time, the iPod line appears to be the primary DAP selection.

What happened? Will we ever see a "good" large capacity DAP again that will fire up the non-ipod crowd enmasse?

Signed,

A sad former Archos, iAudio, Iriver DAP owner

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 47
Well part if it is the lack of new products recently. We're just on the other side of the early leaps and I think we're adjusting. There hasn't been a recent full-sized iAudio audio player in a while, etc. On the opposite side of things the iPod increasingly added a line-out port, lossless and gapless functionality.

I still think its anyones game (the right hardware/software package could bump Apple down in 2-3 years). I don't think the iPod has a monopoly (unless you define it only as numbers), but understandably if the profits aren't there companies may lose interest. Creative may in the near future make more profits off of their rumored upcoming iPod accessories than their DAPs. We'll see. I've been vocal around here about what I think the likely largest obstacle to competition lately.... Zune.

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 47
True. iRiver and Cowon have now gone 1.5 years without releasing a new Apple HDD competitor?

I have the Archos Gmini XS202s in the interim while I wait for a new DAP that doesn't have ott copy protection (even if it must use software), and is thin and small-ish

If it stays this way, I may finally own my first iPod next Xmas (6G though)

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 47
After the release of the X5 I thought that Cowon might be the company to be able to release a player that could compete (at least in terms of technical ability & sound) with the iPod and I loved that thing. I thought that they would come out with something else afterwards and continue to come up with more new players.

But they've been strangely quiet about the larger hard drive DAPs. Maybe the smaller companies (in terms of sales figures) decided that it wasn't worth competing or that the markets they were concerned with didn't want/need a large DAP.

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory
Maybe the smaller companies (in terms of sales figures) decided that it wasn't worth competing or that the markets they were concerned with didn't want/need a large DAP.

I've heard that the asian companies have taken a shift towards smaller, lower capacity players due to the regional demand in their own areas. I don't quite understand this, as my mentality is: If you can have all of your music with just the minor sacrifice of slightly larger device size...then why not? That sure beats shuffling 4 gigs of your 20 gig collection back and forth.

I wish BETTER DAPs would come out....not just smaller ones, or portables with more crammed in multimedia features.

Nov 15, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 47
it seems that with the experience and marketing abilities that apple have, they have a product (and a label) that people want. at the same time long time advocates of 'ipod killers' like the h1xx/h3xx, hd5, archos and conwon players, (people such as myself), find that at this point in time the current line up of ipods are actually (and somewhat dissapointingly) very very good DAP's. unfortunately we (geeks) are a minority group of the public who are care to judge a product objectively for its merits, and (imho) there is not really any other product which can compete (all things considering) in this market.
ah well, as long as there is one quality product available to suit each application, and the market stays that way, i will be happy.
who knows, its allways interesting to see which way technology goes, and sony had portable audio market monopoly for years...

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 47
I holding out for the release of the Trekstor VibeZ. I'm hoping Trekstor focused on the Audio quality of the player as opposed to developing something with Video in mind. While 12 GB is a little smalller than I'd like in a HDD player it is a lot better than the alternative of saying I'll give up some SQ for more storage.

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 47
It's simple economics. People aren't buying the bigger models except for a small group like those at headfi.

I have a friend that works at the Apple Store in Chicago and he says that nanos outsell the full size models 8 to 1. He's heard (yes it's a rumor) that there may not be anymore full size ipods in the traditional sense after 2007

Nanos and then the new video player model

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
It's simple economics. People aren't buying the bigger models except for a small group like those at headfi.

I have a friend that works at the Apple Store in Chicago and he says that nanos outsell the full size models 8 to 1. He's heard (yes it's a rumor) that there may not be anymore full size ipods in the traditional sense after 2007

Nanos and then the new video player model

But if they are going with a full on video iPod like all the rumours say then the larger sizes are definitely needed (whose going to use 8Gb for films/TV?) Personally I prefer the larger DAP as I can fit more music on it and therefore don't have to spend time wondering which music to take - I just take it all.

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 47
I think it's a question of number.
Back then, there were a handful of models one could get.
Now everybody and their dog has decided to sell their own player, with the result that we have a gazillion models that have few differences compared to each other.
Before, Joe Average Smart User would spend some time to get information about the few different available models so he could choose the best.
Now, he'd have to do it for a few dozen models at least. It's a flood of information few people have the time and energy to wade through, so they just get the one player that may not be the best, but that does what they want well enough: the ipod.

Nov 16, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #12 of 47
The problem is that Apple has set a standard. I'm currently looking for a HDD.. I want a high capacity. So I started looking at Cowon... they have 60gbs...but Apple has 80gbs... And even if they had the same capacity... the iPod has gapless striaght or the box.... For those two reasons alone I'd have to go with Apple.... not to even mention Apple has smart playlist.... a feature I could live without... but never want too...

I find things like capacity...and now gapless are what closes the deal... Even though now I'm going to have to spend hours converting my FLAC files to ALAC and tagging them... but the extra 20gbs and gapless is worth it... I'm going to hold out until after January before I buy.... I'm just hoping something comes along that will be better that the 80gb iPod.

Nov 16, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory
But if they are going with a full on video iPod like all the rumours say then the larger sizes are definitely needed (whose going to use 8Gb for films/TV?) Personally I prefer the larger DAP as I can fit more music on it and therefore don't have to spend time wondering which music to take - I just take it all.

don't forget that apple is in bed with the biggest flash maufacturer in the world, samsung. A conpany that already has the technology for 64 GB cf cards. I't won't be long until we see 32 GIG flash players which is enough for over 90% of the population, including me.

Nov 16, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #14 of 47
i've always hated ipods since i used a friend's 2nd gen for a month and another friend's shuffle for two. i've gone through a long list of mp3 players myself, including creative, cowon, and some totally unknown chinese companies. right now i'm using iaudio m5l, and i'm totally happy with it, soundwise and functionwise. could be better, i know,(no gapless, no good lineout, no toys to go with it) but the ipod just has too many kinks for me to like it.

however, one of the problems for competitors is distribution. small companies can't afford having stores and customer service and accesories everywhere. or new products every few months.

Nov 16, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #15 of 47
I use a 3rd gen 15Gb iPod, and a couple of years ago bought my wife one of the 5th gen 60Gb iPods, which she loves. In my book, iPod is pretty much a perfect product: it only really needs a Digital Output. The problem is one of capacity: I'm up near the 60Gb limit now, and now that I've started re-ripping my CDs with Apple Lossless even 80Gb looks very restrictive. Since video is no priority at all for me (I even suspect that screens are a bad thing for audio quality) I don't anticipate my really needing a different brand of portable player at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back