Hardcore recommendations:
Nov 11, 2006 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I find the name "hardcore" to sometimes be a bit too broad of a title...looking for quality music with limited cookie monster vocals.

-Along the lines of the Deftones, Sytem of a Down (although most of their material gets boring quick-too simple) and Pantera.
Was listening to "Vulgar Display of Power" this morning at the gym-what an album that is.
Recommendations?

Nov 12, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 25
Underoath. Cookie monster vocals are inevitable in hardcore.
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 25
Uhh... hardcore is actually a style of punk rock, a la Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat and even early AFI.

I think you're looking for some Grind or MetalCore. I can recommend a few:

Death by Stereo
Unearth
At the Gates (Cobra Commander voice alert)

If you want to see the roots of hardcore punk bleeding into metal territory, do yourself a favour and check out DRI. Stupid, stupid music, but fun and bloody heavy.

Nov 12, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
I find the name "hardcore" to sometimes be a bit too broad of a title...looking for quality music with limited cookie monster vocals.

-Along the lines of the Deftones, Sytem of a Down (although most of their material gets boring quick-too simple) and Pantera.
Was listening to "Vulgar Display of Power" this morning at the gym-what an album that is.
Recommendations?

The bands you named aren't really Hardcore, and i think you're gonna have a lot of trouble finding hardcore music without the metal vocals.

Nov 13, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
The bands you named aren't really Hardcore, and i think you're gonna have a lot of trouble finding hardcore music without the metal vocals.

How then would you describe the music I listed?
I like aggressive music with a sludgey sounds...really digging Chevelle right now-never really got into them.
Id really like to find something like ISIS, but with vocals.

Oh-and I forgot to add Mastodon to my original post.

Nov 13, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 25
you might try So I Had To Shoot Him, which is a mix of Stoner Rock and Hardcore, with a female singer.

Nov 13, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 25
okay,
check out the new ISIS "in the absence of truth" which is a new direction for isis, with a lot of clean vocals.
'sleep terror' are an instrumental jazzy technical metal band
if you like the Arminian sound of system of a down, but not the lack of musical variety, check out 'Giant Squid'
If you havent heard tool, check them out. (you probably have)

there's not really a great deal of aggressive music out there without aggressive vocals

so with that in mind, here are some aggressive bands that show the diversity of the genre:
Superjoint Ritual (phil from pantera on vocals), Will Haven (hardcore metal), Cult of Luna (if you like isis), Pitchshifter (a blend of Drum and Bass and Nu-Metal, but better than it sounds), Opeth (Melodic Death Metal), Vision of Disorder (a blend of classic metal and hardcore), Meshuggah (very very very technical metal, difficult to get into, but worth it), Death (classic Death metal), Dysrhythmia (not really metal, very jazzy, coolness) Killswitch Engage (classic metalcore), Machine Head (British heavy metal) Orange Goblin (doomy metal with a party vibe), Pagan's Mind (progressive metal, bordering on power metal), Textures (hardcorish metal, check out 'polars' for a mix of clean and screaming vocals).
Obviously use your discression, some metal is not very accessible to people new to the genre, but there are a wealth of awesome bands out there, and to me nothing empowers the way that metal does. i hope you find a few gems in there, and find yourself lost in the world of heavy metal!!!

Nov 13, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet
okay,
check out the new ISIS "in the absence of truth" which is a new direction for isis, with a lot of clean vocals.
'sleep terror' are an instrumental jazzy technical metal band
if you like the Arminian sound of system of a down, but not the lack of musical variety, check out 'Giant Squid'
If you havent heard tool, check them out. (you probably have)

there's not really a great deal of aggressive music out there without aggressive vocals

so with that in mind, here are some aggressive bands that show the diversity of the genre:
Superjoint Ritual (phil from pantera on vocals), Will Haven (hardcore metal), Cult of Luna (if you like isis), Pitchshifter (a blend of Drum and Bass and Nu-Metal, but better than it sounds), Opeth (Melodic Death Metal), Vision of Disorder (a blend of classic metal and hardcore), Meshuggah (very very very technical metal, difficult to get into, but worth it), Death (classic Death metal), Dysrhythmia (not really metal, very jazzy, coolness) Killswitch Engage (classic metalcore), Machine Head (British heavy metal) Orange Goblin (doomy metal with a party vibe), Pagan's Mind (progressive metal, bordering on power metal), Textures (hardcorish metal, check out 'polars' for a mix of clean and screaming vocals).
Obviously use your discression, some metal is not very accessible to people new to the genre, but there are a wealth of awesome bands out there, and to me nothing empowers the way that metal does. i hope you find a few gems in there, and find yourself lost in the world of heavy metal!!!

Ive got to pick up that new ISIS...saw them open for TOOL, they are one of my favorite present day bands.
Gonna look into Pitchshifter as well-sounds very cool.

Nov 13, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 25
awesome, im a huge fan of isis, both older and newer stuff, you should love this album!
as far as pitchshifter is concerned, i would suggest going for either 'www.pitchshifter.com' or 'deviant' first, as these are the most acessible albums. my favorite is 'infotainment' and i dont thing much of 'PSI'.
hope you enjoy!!!

Nov 13, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 25
Check out these albums:

Big Black - "Songs About screwing"
Kylesa - s/t
Bad Brainds - "Rock For Light"
The Hunches - "Hobo Sunrise"
Kyuss - "Blues for the Red Sun"
Melvins - "Houdini"

Nov 13, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
How then would you describe the music I listed?
I like aggressive music with a sludgey sounds...really digging Chevelle right now-never really got into them.
Id really like to find something like ISIS, but with vocals.

Oh-and I forgot to add Mastodon to my original post.

Hmmm.... System of A Down I would probably describe as hard rock/nu-metal, and panteras metal with a bit of thrash, and i havent heard too much deftones, but they seem more on the hard rock side. Nothing even close to hardcore, IMO.

Nov 14, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
What seems to be the problem? At the Gates is basically directly responsible for metalcore.

At The Gates is more Melodic Death Metal than metalcore, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back