Hardcore recommendations:
Nov 14, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
What seems to be the problem? At the Gates is basically directly responsible for metalcore.

I can't say what they were directly responsible for or what metalcore band claims them as some kind of influence, but At the Gates themselves were one of the more significant melodeath bands forged in the Gothenburg scene. There is no hardcore in their music, nor is there any punk. There is, however, thrashy death metal with melodic sensiblities.

The most blatant modern follower of At the Gates that I can think of is Arsis.. and metalcore, they are not.. at all.

Nov 14, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
The bands you named aren't really Hardcore, and i think you're gonna have a lot of trouble finding hardcore music without the metal vocals.

The first part is true, but the second part is not.

Very little hardcore is any good, but East West Blast Test is an exception. They are an instrumental Hardcore group, with a very "Frank Zappa" feel to them. Definitely check them out! No horrible vocals present, which sound more like a guy shoving a knife down his throat - that's always a good thing.
biggrin.gif

The instrumental usage is very interesting, as they incorporate a marimba, electric guitar, and drum set. But, as of right now, the band is a side-project duo, worthy of any music fan's attention.

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #18 of 25
Ministry!

Jesus Built my Hotrod...

Nov 14, 2006 at 10:29 AM Post #20 of 25
Oh silly me... How can I forget...

Project 86

Please check them out, or at least listen to their online clips somewhere...

and oh yea... "very few jazz/classical/avant garde is any good..." I guess I can start a war with that.

Nov 14, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #21 of 25
How about Eighteen Visions' album "Obsession"?

They have changed their sound from just metalcore to a mix of rock/metalcore.

Not as many cookie monster vocals than their previous albums and I'd say the album sounds like a mix of Stone Temple Pilots, Deftones and Atreyu.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc
Ministry!

Jesus Built my Hotrod...

Ministry is aggro-industrial, not Hardcore.
No one hear seems to be able to agree on what exactly Hardcore is-I always just thought it a very broad term given to very aggressive, hard rock/metal.

Can someone please tell me who the original/most popular Hardcaore bands are (were)?

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #23 of 25
The original Hardcore band is Black Flag (with Minor Threat and Bad Brains being the other most important bands in the genre). Hardcore is basically a more aggressive off-shoot of Punk that started in the 80s. It doesn't really sound anything like what the OP was asking for, which is probably why there's so many varied responses.

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #24 of 25
I think you're looking for metalcore and math metal. Right now Drawing Circles and Polars by Textures are probably my favourite albums in that category. They have that chugging, almost Isis like sludgy sound but much faster and intense, with some prog metal elements. Drawing Circles has beautiful flow from start to finish, especially the seamless transitions from raw agression to almost serene musical landscapes. The transition from track 5 to 6 always has the hairs on the back of my neck standing!

Polars is probably has more hardcore style vocals, but I have no idea what hardcore is, lol.

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86
The original Hardcore band is Black Flag (with Minor Threat and Bad Brains being the other most important bands in the genre). Hardcore is basically a more aggressive off-shoot of Punk that started in the 80s. It doesn't really sound anything like what the OP was asking for, which is probably why there's so many varied responses.

Yea, that's what I was getting at originally. Hardcore translated to thrash, which basically evolved from there.

Off topic, I'm a Dada fan too, debaser. I have in interesting story about it too... my Highschool Vice Principal "discovered" almost every single piece ever created in Germany years ago. What was a marginalized art style (not even considered it's own genre) turned out to be a massive movement during a time where the subject matter and social background were needed most. And of course, it's now credited with "birthing" Surrealism... bizarre story, sorry for the crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back