Hard to notice quality except in comparison?
Dec 31, 2008 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

raekwonse

New Head-Fier
I've been away from my apt for a week and a half because of the holidays, and I returned and listened to my DT880s with a Little Dot MKIII amp again and it sounds amazing.

I don't remember it sounding this good when I listened to it basically 5 days a week. It seems as though it's really difficult to notice how high quality your audio setup because you eventually get used to the sound. I'm guessing this is why many people (including me) have upgrade-itis. Is that true for anyone else?

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 25
For me, yes, until I became clearly aware of this and other psychological mistakes that had me spent money without getting happier (except for the initial thrill but that is usually not worth the amount spent).

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 25
I don't need any comparisons to know that my K701s sound incredibly, jaw-droppingly awesome!
(On the other hand, this does not imply that there is not something else out there that I would like even better.)

Dec 31, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, yes, until I became clearly aware of this and other psychological mistakes that had me spent money without getting happier (except for the initial thrill but that is usually not worth the amount spent).

Do share! I'm always interested in discussions on achieving satisfaction instead of forever chasing after idealized gear.

Dec 31, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by raekwonse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been away from my apt for a week and a half because of the holidays, and I returned and listened to my DT880s with a Little Dot MKIII amp again and it sounds amazing.

I don't remember it sounding this good when I listened to it basically 5 days a week. It seems as though it's really difficult to notice how high quality your audio setup because you eventually get used to the sound. I'm guessing this is why many people (including me) have upgrade-itis. Is that true for anyone else?

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why you always keep at least one $10 headphone and listen to it occasionally!

both true IME.

Dec 31, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 25
I have a wide range as far as price goes in terms of equipment. I make a point of listening to some of my cheaper stuff in order to keep appreciating the better equipment I own.

That doesn't mean I don't want better though. I haven't found something yet that really hits the sound I want (with or without EQ).

Then again, I haven't really gotten into amps, DACs, or even much into full-size headphones yet. My plans for the next six to nine months involve a D2000 (woodied, recabled with D5000/D7000 cord, markl modded) with some kind of solid state amp/dac combination in the $200-$600 range (cheapest starting path, then DAC portion can be used with a "real" amp in the future).

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 25
Well my stax have been blowing me away everyday I put them on my head since day one, and my better stax system is being shipped as we speak
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 25
I find none of my headphones, good as they are, sound like real life. I always have to take a few minutes to adjust to their sound, and then they either sound good after that, or they end up eventually being sold. I also have to take a few seconds to adjust to each individual headphone, and a few minutes to adjust between different driver types (electrostatic, dynamic, ortho).

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

That's why you always keep at least one $10 headphone and listen to it occasionally!

That was a great tips. Never thought about it
redface.gif

Could someone recommend me a very bad headphone? The worse money can get. Max 30$. ( yes, i do mean it).

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by HippieTom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was a great tips. Never thought about it
redface.gif

Could someone recommend me a very bad headphone? The worse money can get. Max 30$. ( yes, i do mean it).

Your usual stock earbuds that come with your mp3 players will do.
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #12 of 25
You're not alone.
One in a while it takes a couple of days off to realize how good or bad a certain system really sound.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 25
i listen to my nano + stock earbuds almost daily. it serves its purpose and sounds pretty good on the go. then i come home and listen to my home rig and think, "oh wait, actually it doesn't sound that good."

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i listen to my nano + stock earbuds almost daily. it serves its purpose and sounds pretty good on the go. then i come home and listen to my home rig and think, "oh wait, actually it doesn't sound that good."

Exactly the same over here.
I use my 1G iPod nano and iBuds when commuting to work and back, allowing me to fully appreciate my home rig when I get back.

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Your usual stock earbuds that come with your mp3 players will do.
biggrin.gif

Poking Holes in the drivers may also help his quest for crappiness. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back