Hard time dealing with death
Aug 12, 2006 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

will75

1000+ Head-Fier
My uncle died today. We weren't extrememly close or anything but I have seen him regularly throughout my life. Cancer nailed him after a life of smoking. A camera in his hospital room during his last days would make a nice amount of people quit smoking.

He was 64 but looked 104 by the end. Just awful.

It hit me pretty hard today off and on. Same thing we all go through. I definately believe in heaven and I always ask forgiveness on my departed loved one's behalf and that they go to heaven.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this. I just like this community and figured why not express myself here.

Anyone that ever needs an unfamiliar outlet for grief can feel free to pm me. I'm a good listener. : )

Goodbye Uncle Jim.

Aug 12, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 27
I lost my last remaining grandmother this March and another uncle (stroke) just last month.

I wasn't too close to my uncle but do have very fond memories of my childhood with my grandmother (she got a stroke in 1999, lived in a vegetative state for 7 long years and finally succumbed to a simple fever). In more ways than one, I am happy that she is finally free of the torments of this world but at the same time can't help but grieve for myself, my dad and my uncles/aunties. Seeing her out of our everyday lives is one thing, seeing her go (forever) from this world is something else altogether. I miss her dearly. Worse, due to my work & study schedules, I was not able to attend her burial and have not visited the site even now. I will definitely make it a priority when there is a chance for a break (christmas time hopefully).

Aug 12, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 27
My condolences to you and yours. I'm sure that he's in a much better place now. It's always hard when someone close to you dies and it always takes time to fill the voids that are left in our hearts and lives. Hopefully our prayers for you and your family will help you cope with your recent loss.

Aug 12, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 27
i lost my father-in-law david to bone cancer a few years ago. i was there when he died, his mouth black and gasping for breath. not pretty. i don't think it ever is. i miss him.

Aug 12, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 27
There's probably nothing any of us can say to make you feel any better about it, but I express my condolences anyway. I lost my grandmother a month ago, and was with her near her last moments; death is certainly not a pretty thing, even if its "natural causes."

Aug 12, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 27
I'm sorry for your loss. Wish there was something more I could say.

Aug 12, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 27
My condolences to you. Time will lessen the pain.

I watched my grandmother take her last breath dying from dementia. That moment will I will never forget. At least she lived a full life, and had almost her entire family there. I'm glad I was there, actually.

My wife just spent 2 days unexpectedly in the hospital with severe abdominal pains. I was scared to death of losing her, not knowing what the hell was happening. Luckily, it was minor, and she is home now.

You must cherish the loved ones you have around you and not take them for granted one minute!!!!

God bless.

Aug 12, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #10 of 27
i lost my best friend an year and a half ago. he died of an undetected heart condition at the age of 14.

a couple months ago, my sister's friend died of leukemia. he was going to donate blood when they found that he had an usually low cell count. my sister and he were supposed to go to the prom together but had to stay in the hospital. he even sent her flowers on the day of the prom.

i miss them both

Aug 12, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 27
You know, I was just talking about how different the grief process is when someone is an old friend or family member, but not too close.
In some ways it is harder because we don't know exactly how to grieve for them the way we might for someone closer, and it may cause us to postpone our grief in a much different way than if we were closer.
The truth is everyone grieves at a different place, and sometimes a lot after a week then it surges again years later for no apparent reason.
I'm glad that you feel enough to post here about it.

If Highflyin9's posts are any indication, this is a very empathetic community

Aug 12, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #13 of 27
My grandmother died at 83 this past december. She seemed fine when we visited the day before (considering her age and past health conditions). she died of natural causes.

it was very sad...for years i basically lived with her (my parents work and she took care of us after school) and we were very close.

to honor her, i guess, we ended up bringing very large picture presentations together (of her life and family) a power point and a real family diagram (tree)... and tried to heal all divisions within the family...

Aug 12, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
feh1325
i'm sorry for your losses. i hope you are dealing okay?

yeah, i have. my life's been kinda going downhill lately...just "brokeup" with my first "girlfriend" type girl. i guess i try and occupy myself with things to do and talking to friends always helps.

thanks for your concerns.

Aug 12, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
yeah, i have. my life's been kinda going downhill lately...just "brokeup" with my first "girlfriend" type girl. i guess i try and occupy myself with things to do and talking to friends always helps.

thanks for your concerns.

yeah i know what it means when it rains it pours. stay cool, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back