Hard-Progressive-Artsy-Rock
Nov 29, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #46 of 72
I gotta throw out another Oceansize recommendation. I know you've got EIP, but Effloresce is awesome too (maybe better). The last 3 songs on that CD are absolutely brilliant. My favorite 3 songs at the moment.

Also, I'd love to get Frames (rumored to be their best?) but I can't download it anywhere (legally). On my Christmas list!

I agree that they should be much bigger than they are. Maybe if everyone here took a listen they'd catch on! :)

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never of them; can you explain their sound?

Jupiter is a bit bright but otherwise produced quite well.
Give it another shot with your equipment toned down a bit-its one of my favorite albums of the last ten years.

EDIT: wait a sec; a Portnoy side project? Am not a DT fan at all-do they have similar sounds?

All the songs are so different it's hard to say yes or no. shutDOWN (from Office of Strategic Influence), for example, sounds a lot like Porcupine Tree IMO.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #48 of 72
And how in the world can you consider Mastodon progressive? This isn't my idea of progressive at all, lol. I'm currently listening to Blood Mountain....

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using unconventional instruments is common for progressive rock but not exactly common for progressive metal. Long songs and unconventional song structures are common for progressive songs but not exactly a must-have or a defining feature. Mastodan's sound is very similar to Meshuggah and Gojira, and is full of odd time signatures that are more than what you can find in your typical metal. Most places consider them to be a progressive metal band, wikipedia does, lastfm does, rateyourmusic does, they themselves put in their myspace page that they are metal/hardcore/progressive. So while they might not fit the traditional definition of being progressive they are certainly a progressive metal band.

Gonna have to disagree with you again, but I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Dont know that I would consider any of your sources to be real reliant with regard to a proper definition, especially the band itself. 90% of the bands you talk to today think they are "progressive" in some way or another, and many in fact are.
The distinction here is in how you define "progressive". If you are talking about a band that pushes boundaries and experiments with their respective genre, then yes, most "alternative-metal" bands are "progressive". If you use the traditional definition of "prog" music, as defined by bands like Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, etc. and even take into account the newer parameters as they relate to metal, you still cannot define Mastodon as progressive.

Lastly, there is NOTHING about Mastodon that sounds like Meshuggah. The only thing that is similar is that they both have musicians that play guitars and drums and thats where the similarity ends. Saying their sounds are similar is like saying Converge sounds like Coprofago or that DEP sounds like A Life Once Lost or Ion Dissonance. Each band occupies completely different sub-sects of "alternative-metal" and although they all have odd time signatures, theirsounds are completely different.
.As for Gojira, ill give you the fact that there is some similarity to mastodon but still, these are completely differing types of Metal.

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gotta throw out another Oceansize recommendation. I know you've got EIP, but Effloresce is awesome too (maybe better). The last 3 songs on that CD are absolutely brilliant. My favorite 3 songs at the moment.

Also, I'd love to get Frames (rumored to be their best?) but I can't download it anywhere (legally). On my Christmas list!

I agree that they should be much bigger than they are. Maybe if everyone here took a listen they'd catch on! :)

Frames is quickly becoming my favorite album by them. Best album of 2007? Well, behind Fear of a Blank Planet, definitely.

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frames is quickly becoming my favorite album by them. Best album of 2007? Well, behind Fear of a Blank Planet, definitely.

Took me a good couple of listens to get into Everyone into Position; an incredibly rewarding journey though-very talented band.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For wacky, jazzy, instrumental, chaotic prog rock, try Mahogany Frog.

Thanks for good tip. I've checked these guys out. Awesome!

I'll add two bands, discovery of 2008 for me:

NiL - french prog rock outfit. Love or hate affair, I'm in the love camp.

Eternal Essence - new prog rock shooting star

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #55 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to be floored again.

if you haven't already, i heartily recommend giving a listen to CAN.

they have many great albums, but I recommend starting with Future Days, Ege Bamyasi or Tago Mago.

i was floored. i think you may be too.

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mastodan's sound is very similar to Meshuggah and Gojira

I would ask for some of what you're smoking, but I'm afraid it'll have me drawing the same bogus comparisons.

Kwitel, you may like some of the following -

Dog Fashion Disco
Bubblemath
Shining (not the black metal band)
Stolen Babies
Rosetta
Estradasphere
Thinking Plague
Dark Suns
65daysofstatic
Russian Circles
Atrox
Hammers of Misfortune
Candiria
Frantic Bleep
Tub Ring
Ozric Tentacles
At War With Self
Indukti

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Demians - Building An Empire. (Revelation of the year for me !!)

MySpace.com - DEMIANS - FR - Rock / Metal / Ambient - www.myspace.com/demiansmusic

Wow, that is good. Has a very strong Incubus sound to it. I like.
beyersmile.png

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #60 of 72
Anything from Ozric Tentacles should do it for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back