Hard-Progressive-Artsy-Rock
Nov 23, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #16 of 72
Already a big Yes fan, but Yes is really classic rock (albeit prog).

Not into Riverside-sounds a bit cheesy to me.
I tried POS about a year back and it was very, Broadway sounding (if that makes any sense).

None of these are really what I am looking for.

I want the more more modern edgy stuff, like Dredg and Cave In.

EtherealApril-ill look into those-thnx.

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #18 of 72
BTW, Cave In doesn't count as progressive rock, alternative rock/post hardcore would be a better way to describe them. And I recommend you to give Riverside another chance, cause I think they are what you are looking for. And they are anything but cheesy.

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #19 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, Cave In doesn't count as progressive rock, alternative rock/post hardcore would be a better way to describe them. And I recommend you to give Riverside another chance, cause I think they are what you are looking for. And they are anything but cheesy.

Cave In in general are post hardcore, but not "Jupiter". Its a complete departure for them that is more in the art/prog rock vein.

Riverside can DEFINITELY be perceived as a little cheesy; not at all what I am looking for and very far from the bands I listed in my original post.

For all the King Crimson recs-big fan here already.

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #20 of 72
I just checked out Fates Warning after wanting to listen for a while. I've got the Chasing Time CD, and I like it. Kind of a mix between Dream Theater and Iron Maiden, but not very heavy.

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #21 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Riverside can DEFINITELY be perceived as a little cheesy; not at all what I am looking for and very far from the bands I listed in my original post.

What Riverside album have you listened to anyway? I always recommend Riverside to those who want something like Porcupine Tree. They sound like Porcupine Tree with less acoustic guitar but darker, more edgy and more modern. With stronger metal influence. So I am not sure how you can perceive them to be a little cheesy, if you found them to be cheesy what prog band isn't cheesy? You are going to have a hard time if you want to convince me that King Crimson is less chessy.

If you had only listened to Rapid Eye Movement I recommend you to listen to their 2 other albums as Rapid Eye Movement is their weakest album.

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #22 of 72
Definitely try Oceansize. I think I recommended them to you in your thread a few weeks ago
wink.gif

I think "Effloresce" is their best, but you really can't go wrong with their other two albums, either.

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely try Oceansize. I think I recommended them to you in your thread a few weeks ago
wink.gif

I think "Effloresce" is their best, but you really can't go wrong with their other two albums, either.

I agree. Effloresce is awesome. The others are proportionally less so. Love them all, though
smile.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #26 of 72
For a jaw-dropping prog rock opera, try Therion - Gothic Kabbalah

For wacky, jazzy, instrumental, chaotic prog rock, try Mahogany Frog.

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #28 of 72
try Between the Buried and Me
they are quite hard but they are fantastic musicians and quite progressive.

Check out the album Alaska

Nov 24, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #29 of 72
You should check my last.fm. It's (mostly) exactly what you're looking for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need some more great, melodic rock-much like these albums:

Dredg-El Cielo, Leitmotif
Cave In-Jupiter
Porcupine Tree-(everything)
Team Sleep
Mars Volta-(everything)
Tool-(everything)
Rush-(everything)

Just throwing some classic stuff out there; I know most of the usual suspects though.

When I first heard "Jupiter" and "Leitmotif" I was floored.

I need to be floored again.

Off topic, but I'm curious. Just started listening to Jupiter, and I was wondering what gear you most enjoy this album on, particularly headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back