Hard or Soft Custom Earmolds?
Jan 4, 2006 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nevin

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm going to make a custom earmold for my UM2 soon
etysmile.gif
. I wonder if I'm going to make a soft or hard earmold. I found that it's more easy to my ears if I'm using the foam currently.

Can anyone share the pros and cons between hard and soft's one (comfortable, last for how long, seal, etc).

Thank you!!!!

Jan 4, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 12
You might want to pm Lindrone. I believe he has some experience with Westone's custom molds.

Jan 4, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 12
To my ears the soft molds were more comfortable. I have sensitive ears and the hard molds just bugged me. I got my molds from Sensaphonics.

Jan 4, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Minimum
You might want to pm Lindrone. I believe he has some experience with Westone's custom molds.

When the last time Lindrone was on this site?

Jan 4, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by randyruiz
To my ears the soft molds were more comfortable. I have sensitive ears and the hard molds just bugged me. I got my molds from Sensaphonics.

Hello,

Would you mind to tell me how long can the soft molds last for? I heard someone told me that the soft molds cannot last for long (maybe a couple of months)

Jan 4, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 12
I went with the hard UE10-Pro, and sometimes wish I'd gotten the soft version. The hard ones are probably easier to care for, but the soft ones would be nice for lying in bed (or against a pillow on a plane), and the soft ones also give a better seal.

If the Westone ES3 were available in the soft version, I'd probably go for it. I'm not really interested in the ES2 which are available in soft. The logic for my ES3 preference is that the tipped up mids of the ES3 would give me a much different experience than the UE10-Pro, whereas the ES2 would be quite similar to the UE10-Pro. With respect to the ES3, Westone figures that there isn't enough room for all of the drivers to make the soft version and not have quality control problems down the road. Shame!

Jan 4, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I went with the hard UE10-Pro, and sometimes wish I'd gotten the soft version. The hard ones are probably easier to care for, but the soft ones would be nice for lying in bed (or against a pillow on a plane), and the soft ones also give a better seal.

If the Westone ES3 were available in the soft version, I'd probably go for it. I'm not really interested in the ES2 which are available in soft. The logic for my ES3 preference is that the tipped up mids of the ES3 would give me a much different experience than the UE10-Pro, whereas the ES2 would be quite similar to the UE10-Pro. With respect to the ES3, Westone figures that there isn't enough room for all of the drivers to make the soft version and not have quality control problems down the road. Shame!

You can always take a look at Sensaphonics. I prefer them both in terms of comfort and assuasive characteristics as well as the overall timbre to that I can get from UE-10 Pro's.

Jan 4, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 12
The Sensa are made of silicone, Westone uses a body heat activated vinyl on the canal area of ALL Elite Series and the "soft version" is an entire shell made of it. It lasts WAY longer than the silicone.

Jan 4, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23
The Sensa are made of silicone, Westone uses a body heat activated vinyl on the canal area of ALL Elite Series and the "soft version" is an entire shell made of it. It lasts WAY longer than the silicone.

how long is wayy long, say using them about 30 hours a week with moderate take-in take-out.

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 12
You are probably using them more them the typical pro musican on tour at those usage numbers. Silicone if treated properly can last several years. It will however begin to shrink and stiffen up, it's just part of it's characteristics. Most people cannot go 4 years or more with them There have been imporvements to silicone to make it last longer. It is also more likely tear as well.

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23
You are probably using them more them the typical pro musican on tour at those usage numbers. Silicone if treated properly can last several years. It will however begin to shrink and stiffen up, it's just part of it's characteristics. Most people cannot go 4 years or more with them There have been imporvements to silicone to make it last longer. It is also more likely tear as well.

The silicone as used by Sensaphonics is NOT a regular type of silicone as well and it is durable. I guess it's hard to tell the exact life span of the materials both companies use under certain conditions because the technology is fairly new and there are enhancements popping up here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back