Hard-drive transfer
Mar 12, 2012 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lan647

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, all! If I get 10 usable answers within 24 hours here I will giveaway a HD 800! 

(Okay, no I won't) 
atsmile.gif

But I have a problem, I'm going to a friend to get 1,5tb of lossless music files, and I was planning on buying myself an external Lacie harddrive to do this. Then I saw you have to format the harddrive for either PC or MAC (I have a MAC, he's got a PC). What shall I do to transfer these files? 

Thanks! 

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 9
Format the drive as FAT32. For as far as I know macs can read and write to FAT32. You could also install a driver to get mac to read and write NTFS. Alternatively you could get the windows machine to read and write HFS+.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Format the drive as FAT32. For as far as I know macs can read and write to FAT32. You could also install a driver to get mac to read and write NTFS. Alternatively you could get the windows machine to read and write HFS+.

I'll look into it, thanks! :) 

I also have another question concerning computer audio, how do I get 24/96 FLAC files to work with iTunes? Fluke doesn't support more than 16/44 I think and using Fluke I can't use album cover arts :frowning2: 

Sometimes I hate mac 
mad.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 9
Well, I don't have an answer for that, but I do have a question. I have an external HD, can I come by and make a copy of the 1.5 tb?

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 9
FAT32 is not reliable for a 1.5 TB partition.  The original FAT32 size limit was 128 GB, and anything over that is an extension, which likely hasn't been thoroughly tested since FAT32 isn't a primary partition type for any modern OS.  FAT32 also has significantly less error correction than NTFS, and is a lot slower.

I'd recommend formatting it NTFS (which is probably how it comes from the factory) and installing NTFS-3G on the Mac that you're transferring from/to.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
FAT32 is not reliable for a 1.5 TB partition.  The original FAT32 size limit was 128 GB, and anything over that is an extension, which likely hasn't been thoroughly tested since FAT32 isn't a primary partition type for any modern OS.  FAT32 also has significantly less error correction than NTFS, and is a lot slower.

I'd recommend formatting it NTFS (which is probably how it comes from the factory) and installing NTFS-3G on the Mac that you're transferring from/to.

I have to agree. NTFS is far more flexible and has better error recovery rates than FAT32. What I don't agree though is with performance, since FAT32 is marginally faster than NTFS, but that difference doesn't justify all the advantages NTFS has. Having the drive in NTFS is the sensible choice, now even more as all non-Microsoft OSes have NTFS drivers available.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 9

Either this, or get a drive that's "smarter" and can manage its own affairs (a NAS) that will work with OS X and Windows out of the box (WD makes a few of these - this is the "easy and I don't want to think" option). 

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back