hard drive click noise when loading music and rotating the ipod?
Mar 6, 2007 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ryanhayn

100+ Head-Fier
i just got a new 30gb ipod today. i noticed as i was transferring music that when i rotated the ipod from flat to its side, it would pause the transfer and make a louder than normal click noise...then it would resume the transfer. then when i rotate it back so it lies flat, it would do it again. is this normal? i'm worried the drive is defective or will fail soon.

i'm kinda hoping i can return it for a 8gb nano instead. do u think the apple store will let me do that?

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 12
clicking noise = click of death for a harddrive. It wouldn't seem likely (because of size) that a loose drive would be bonking against anything.

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 12
The click is generally associated with a hard drive on its last days, but it is unusual to hear the click on a new drive. I would call apple saying the hard drive is clicking in an unusual manner and they should send a replacement.

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 12
clicking noise is normal, it's just the harddrive spinning up and shutting down. What you guys who posted don't own an iPod?
eek.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by urabus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
clicking noise is normal, it's just the harddrive spinning up and shutting down. What you guys who posted don't own an iPod?
eek.gif

I had my AND someone else's iPod fail on me as it made the noise... I think I'm pretty qualified to say that it's the sound of a dying iPod.

Mar 7, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 12
i really dont think its the hard drive spinning up/down. this louder click comes only when i rotate the ipod. it also happens when i rotate it while its first loading a song from the HD to RAM. you guys try it.

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #11 of 12
apple needs to have its engineers develop something making rockbox users' ipods blow up (not literally). when they take it back for a refund or exchange, they can automatically turn them away for somehow voiding the warranty. or they could just make a flawless product to begin with.

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, the toshiba mk3008gal in the zune is much more reliable than the toshiba mk3008gal in the ipod.
wink.gif

my bad, I totally forgot they use the same hardrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back