Hard alternative rock recommendations?
Sep 12, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #271 of 281
Filter- Hey Man, Nice Shot :

Sep 12, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #272 of 281
I always come back to that video to see Slipknot drummer in action :

Sep 14, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #273 of 281
For the longest time I've been on a classic progressive rock (e.g. Genesis, Jethro Tull, ELP, Yes, etc) and modern prog (e.g. Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Haken, etc), but came across a couple of alternative rock bands with progressive tendencies (e.g. Pain of Salvation, The Dear Hunter, Karnivool, Jolly, etc). I hate to throw around genre names, but it's inevitable in this case. I am looking for bands that have that alternative rock sound mixed with some prog qualities, the best example I can offer right now is The Dear Hunter and Jolly, which are bands that don't necessarily have 20 minutes epics or suites, but nevertheless have the creative, distinct and ambitious/epic approach to their music without hugely relying on synths. I would appreciate if bands that have a sound similar to classic, symphonic prog from the 70s can be avoided (Neal Morse's music, Flower Kings, Moon Safari), I would love to listen to a more modern, alt rock approach. Thanks all!

I'm not really up on recent prog or alternative rock bands. So would bow to others here on these.

Sep 14, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #276 of 281
I think there are two types of Smashing Pumpkins fans : Pre-Adore and post-Adore.

If you are a pre-Adore fan like me you don't want to miss the excellent Zero EP (extended play) that I consider a real album and that captured the peak vibes of the SP during the late 90's.

This album is an act of communion between the SP and their early fan base, in my opinion. It's deep. Feels like a freaking requiem.

1694713695161.png

Sep 14, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #277 of 281
Hey!

Best Korn song?

Sep 17, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #278 of 281
I think there are two types of Smashing Pumpkins fans : Pre-Adore and post-Adore.

If you are a pre-Adore fan like me you don't want to miss the excellent Zero EP (extended play) that I consider a real album and that captured the peak vibes of the SP during the late 90's.

This album is an act of communion between the SP and their early fan base, in my opinion. It's deep. Feels like a freaking requiem.

Success changes you.

I like some of the pre-Adore and post-Adore tunes though. So not quite sure where I'd fit in this scheme. :) This was around the time that founding member D'arcy left though. And they had their first break-up. So a change in direction was probably in the cards, and inevitable.

I don't claim to be an expert on the group though. So take anything above with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #279 of 281
Success changes you.

I like some of the pre-Adore and post-Adore tunes though. So not quite sure where I'd fit in this scheme. :) This was around the time that founding member D'arcy left though. And they had their first break-up. So a change in direction was probably in the cards, and inevitable.

I don't claim to be an expert on the group though. So take anything above with a grain of salt.

I think the band previously liked to entertain some mystery around their records and business decision. I am not sure about the former level of collaboration between the original band members and what was their respective influence inside the group, but Billy Corgan definitely is now "the man and his band". If I recall from interviews back in the 90's when Billy talked he was using the pronoun "we". Now it is "I". I think at some point he decided he would not only be the front man but also the boss and center piece of the group. Well, he had the talent to take full control. And he did. Billy once said that he fired D'arcy "for being a mean-spirited drug addict who refused to get help." That gives an idea about the mindset of Billy and the level of control he had over The Smashing Pumpkins from then until now.

Late 90's, alternative rock was on the decline against pop music and the emerging Nu Metal. I recall Hip Hop was also getting huge, with Puff Daddy being for a moment the big star. Corgan often complained about Britney Spears, pop culture, selling album and ticket based on body image, promotion and money. It was a thing back then to blame Britney Spears for everything, it seems. He was upset the Smashing Pumpkins was no longer reaching high in the chart. I think he then gave up the original Smashing Pumpkins sound to try something new. Hence the Adore album. Billy Corgan decision (rightfully or wrongfully) was to expand the band's audience, he said he was not interested in writing music that was only appealing to teenagers.

Billy is a genius but also a controversial character. The pre-Adore version of The Smashing Pumpkins was extremely great. If it was not for that sound, fewer people would have buy Adore and its sell performance would have been lower than their debut album Gish (1991), in my opinion. Of course, I would not trade the existence of Gish for three thousands Adore or post-Adore records :)

Sep 19, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #280 of 281
A bit off topic, here is the song from Puff Daddy that was playing everywhere in dancing clubs, it has remained a top club song for a couple of years. His popularity was shocking :

Sep 19, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #281 of 281
Let's lift that curse immediately

Users who are viewing this thread

Back