Happy birthday Scrypt and Tweertinelle!
Sep 23, 2002 at 1:31 PM Post #16 of 25
Ah, there you are!
smily_headphones1.gif
Well, I was wrestling with my new computer setup (was a bear) over the weekend (still doing it now
mad.gif
) and missed coming here. Apparently you missed this thread over the weekend too, so I didn't miss too much
tongue.gif

And again, happy birthday Tweertinelle and his Dr. Hyde altar ego, scrypt
evil_smiley.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 23, 2002 at 5:35 PM Post #17 of 25
I don't mean to crap on this thread -- hey, I actually was a birthday wisher earlier in it
wink.gif
-- but lest anyone get any ideas from Scrypt/Tweeder's example, I should point out a relevant passage from the Head-Fi Terms of use that everyone agreed to when they signed up:

Quote:

Use only one username. Multiple profiles for the same individual are not allowed.

http://www.head-fi.org/documents/rules.html

Sep 23, 2002 at 6:10 PM Post #18 of 25
I thought your writing style(s) were similar!

But anyway, it might be helpful to have a custom title mentioning this... 'Tweertinelle: Dr. Jekyll to Scrypt's Mr. Hyde' or something along those lines...

Sep 23, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #19 of 25
Ahhrrr!!! I'd just finished writing a careful response when my computer crashed. I'm writing in Mozilla now, which seems far more stable on a Mac than Explorer.

Anyway.

Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I don't mean to crap on this thread -- hey, I actually was a birthday wisher earlier in it
wink.gif
-- but lest anyone get any ideas from Scrypt/Tweeder's example, I should point out a relevant passage from the Head-Fi Terms of use that everyone agreed to when they signed up:
quote: Use only one username. Multiple profiles for the same individual are not allowed.

MacDEF:

Either I didn't read the agreement carefully or thought this applied to trolls who used alternate sigs to destructive advantage.

My problem is that my work environment is pretty strict. My boss once told me of a gentleman who was fired because he'd posted that there needed to be "more pedagogy in younger classrooms." Apparently, the sys admin was so illiterate that he'd thought the gentleman was endorsing pedophilia. Nevertheless, the guy no longer works with us.

Question: Would there be any way for me to keep the alternate name but include a disclaimer as to who I am in my profile sig? (That would make me feel safer at work, at least.)

And I'm sorry for failing to read the rules more carefully. Only, I'm familiar with trolls and know I'm not one of them

And thanks for the previous birthday good wishes. Since we had skirmishes earlier on, it's nice to see we're making an effort to be decent to each other. Our last "examples" might have been bad, but this one's, well, exemplary. Maturity prevails.

Sep 24, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Question: Would there be any way for me to keep the alternate name but include a disclaimer as to who I am in my profile sig? (That would make me feel safer at work, at least.)

I'll definitely pass it on to Jude and the mod team.

Quote:

And thanks for the previous birthday good wishes. Since we had skirmishes earlier on, it's nice to see we're making an effort to be decent to each other. Our last "examples" might have been bad, but this one's, well, exemplary. Maturity prevails.

Discussions are discussions. People are people. Simple as that
smily_headphones1.gif
(Well, unless the person decides to make the discussion quite personal, and there are examples of that around here every once in a while
frown.gif
But that's not relevant here
wink.gif
)

Sep 24, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I'll definitely pass it on to Jude and the mod team.

Thanks.

Here's the deal. I want to play by the rules, so until I hear it's all right to do so, I won't post under the name Tweerternelle.

(That was a bit of straightforward prose for the glass pane school.)

Sep 24, 2002 at 11:24 AM Post #22 of 25
Glass pane school?
confused.gif
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 24, 2002 at 3:16 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Glass pane school?
confused.gif
tongue.gif

At various points in time, certain writers and critics have felt that one's writing style should be as transparent as a pane of glass. Hemingway is a famous example of this, as is Dashell Hammett, who I like far better; so, in a way, is the neo-classical Greek poet Cavafy. Examples of the opposite approach: Thomas DeQuincey, late Beckett, Sir Thomas Browne, Joyce and -- my hero -- John Hawkes.

The so-called pane-of-glass style was a hallmark of 80s minimalist writers, most of whom were horribly literal-minded, in my opinion: Tama Janowitz, Brett Easton Ellis, et al. You get the idea. Raymond Carver, Denis Johnson and especially Dennis Cooper, who didn't fit the prescript, were some of the better examples. The one thing I liked about even the worst writers: No self-conscious moralizing.

In the 90s, many writers rebelled against minimalism and the deliberately objective approach of the 80s in favor of more ornament, emotion and sensitivity. Even writers like David Foster Wallace, whose _Girl with the Curious Hair_ was a veritable minimalist primer, reacted against the earlier style and chose to experiment with artifice and opacity. Other examples: Jeanette Winterson, Robert Olen Butler, Cormac McCarthy and Robert Gluck. Extreme examples were the Language Poets: Charles Bernstein, Bob Perelman, Keith Waldrop and many others in that legion too numerous to name.

Now that the 80s are back and electro reigns, I suppose we'll see a renascence of minimalism. I hear the distant gallop in the impatience of younger readers, who often seem to despise orchestrated style.

But I can't care about ushering in the New Minimalism or whatever publishers' marketing divisions will choose to call it. My voice is my voice. Fashion surgery isn't the answer.

Sep 24, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #25 of 25
Nice little mini-rant there
smily_headphones1.gif

I had no idea that writing had all that behind it - I just assumed there were the standard genres and beyond that it was up to the writer. Of course, the last few books that I've read have been stuff like Locks, Safes, and Security (a bloody fantastic text, if I do say so myself, highly recommend it) or FreeBSD for the Corporate Network, and the only fiction that I really read nowdays is Terry Pratchett. And markl's posts
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back