Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Apr 21, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #3,151 of 4,588
I do actually own some blu-ray concerts that were recorded in 2ch and multiple surround formats. But he already knew that ! I have no problems with challenging our ideas and opinions...but he just went way off ! I use my mimby and bimby from a couple of universal players and a Squeezebox, optical and coax. I do own some stuff that is downmixed  to 2ch from surround by the players and I like it better through mimby/bimby. Just an opinion.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #3,152 of 4,588
But the overall bias against using headphones for TV/Home theater is as ridiculous to me as the home theater bias against headphones.

Huh? The bias against using headphones for home theatre is that you can't get home theatre on headphones! All you can get is stereo, an old, legacy TV audio format which was superseded years ago. And, you're not even getting a specifically designed stereo mix (as used to be the case) but an automated downmix to stereo generated by your Dolby chip from the 5.1 mix.

Both the traditionalists and the experimenters can benefit from external DACs.

I'm confused about who are the "experimenters" and who the "traditionalists"? Presumably the "traditionalists" are the ones using external DACs/headphones to listen in the old, traditional TV (stereo) format?

[2] A totally unfair, biased, and unscientific comparison on one hand. But a great way to glean any substantial advantage to the multi-bit approach....

1. You're just making it up! Do you even know what broadcast standard specifications are?
2. You're on a roll now, why let "a totally unfair, biased and unscientific comparison" spoil an opportunity for some serious fanboy'ism? :gs1000smile:

If i wanted surround i would just let my surround processor take care of it. I find 2ch to provide a much more realistic wall to wall of sound.

Your surround processor IS "taking care of it", how do you think it gets from surround to 2ch?
2ch stereo has never been a film audio format and never will be. All commercial films are made in a surround audio format and have been for 3-4 decades! It's called "home theatre" because it attempts to recreate the theatrical experience at home (not a difficult concept to grasp really!) and the theatrical experience is surround sound plus an LFE channel. Headphones simply cannot recreate this! Furthermore, in developed countries most of the TV programming is also now 5.1.

I get it, many of you seem to be Schiit and/or headphone fanbois and therefore obviously have a preference for headphones. That's fine of course but please, a touch of common sense rather this extremism would go a long way to stopping the vast majority of the audio world seeing audiophiles as complete nutters and allow those of us with an actual love of audio to use the term "audiophile" without embarrassment. By all means state your preference but enough of the silly claims; headphones by definition can only produce an ear to ear sound, let alone a "much more realistic wall to wall sound" and, it's not ridiculous for home theatre enthusiasts to eschew headphones and prefer the actual sound mix as it was designed. If anything is ridiculous, it's that you don't! As with all extremists though, they see themselves as "enlightened" and everyone else as ridiculous.
For this reason, I assume I'll get the predictable response when extremists are challenged/questioned (insults/abuse) and I doubt there's any point to me responding further but at least this is in the thread now, just in case there's anyone reading who's interested in rational info! Schiit gear is good and as a company they engage in less BS than some other audiophile companies but a Mimby is not designed for surround sound and downmixing a surround mix into LoRo stereo is NOT an improvement! Regardless of how good the Mimby really is, it cannot magically conjure up details which do not exist in the sound mix and although many films have excellent sound mixes, they are ALL significantly within the limitations of 16/44.1.

G

Dude. Relax. Sorry if you're not aware Benchmark Media started out in broadcast/studio equipment. A simple search would let you know I'm not making any of that up.

Benchmark is actually fairly boring stuff, and as close to a "straight-wire with gain" objectivism as any company I can think of. My various rigs are very, very much devoid of audiophile/fanboy anything.

Except my bass rigs. I admit I have a passion for Carvin basses and amps...
:)

Anyway, I'm on this thread for fun, and I bought the Mimby for the same reason. I like Schiit because of their no-nonsense approach to things and yet fun at the same time. That's all.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #3,153 of 4,588
  On the contrary. It does work. I just did it :p

*edit* I think you read too much into my above post. My Schiit was already working perfectly..the new SSD and Windows reinstall were completely unrelated but necessary for other reasons.

THE PART of my Windows reinstall I was dreading was getting my Schiit back up and running, because of all the horror stories I've read in this thread and others. What I thought had the potential to be the trickiest part of my reinstall proved to be a non-issue.

SO, I reiterate: if you have problems with Schiit USB drivers and Windows 10, try a Windows reinstall.

I have noticed that restarting the computer fixes it too for a while. Its really stupid, I will try it on this PC again after I rebuild it.
It should improve upon the built-in dac if everything else in the chain is good. Try it and tell us in this thread.

I will be moved soon and will try it out then.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #3,154 of 4,588
Hi, I have searched on google multiple times for hours but cant find an answer to something I am really curious about.  I know USB etc is discussed alot on all the Schitt threads.  How bad/good/ok in theory/science is using something like this

https://hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-DAC

as an optical out with a toslink?  I am alittle behind I am still on Bifrost uber with usb gen 1 card.   I been using the hifime optical out instead of usb.  I like that I can control the volume at my computer when I use it vs with usb I can only change volume at the amp.  It is a bedroom setup so I often am laying down and the amp is out of reach.  It is a meaningless first world problem I know.  It is no big deal.  I was just more curious since I have no electrical science knowledge.  I figure it be an easy answer here since it is like a kindergarden question compared to the knowledge being dropped in this thread.  I know Its not Mimby related but I will still have the same question when I do get a mimby which I plan to do soon.

Thanks

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #3,157 of 4,588
Hi, I have searched on google multiple times for hours but cant find an answer to something I am really curious about.  I know USB etc is discussed alot on all the Schitt threads.  How bad/good/ok in theory/science is using something like this

https://hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-DAC

as an optical out with a toslink?  I am alittle behind I am still on Bifrost uber with usb gen 1 card.   I been using the hifime optical out instead of usb.  I like that I can control the volume at my computer when I use it vs with usb I can only change volume at the amp.  It is a bedroom setup so I often am laying down and the amp is out of reach.  It is a meaningless first world problem I know.  It is no big deal.  I was just more curious since I have no electrical science knowledge.  I figure it be an easy answer here since it is like a kindergarden question compared to the knowledge being dropped in this thread.  I know Its not Mimby related but I will still have the same question when I do get a mimby which I plan to do soon.

Thanks

I would say it works fine and has a minimal quality loss.
Schiit USB implementation isn't good in the first place.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #3,160 of 4,588
HQuote:

I'm confused about who are the "experimenters" and who the "traditionalists"? Presumably the "traditionalists" are the ones using external DACs/headphones to listen in the old, traditional TV (stereo) format?

Just my choice of words (nothing official out of any sort of audiophile book).

Traditionalists - a DAC used with a Headphone Amp and your favourite collection of Headphones.

Experimenters - a DAC being used with a 2 channel speaker system, OR a DAC being used with a TV and/or Home Theatre system.  Headphones not really a serious consideration.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #3,161 of 4,588
Interesting answer, in fact I currently own a Schiit modi multibit but I was feeling very curious about this brand Chord but their products are so expensive, where did u buy your mojo?

At audio audiovenue.com at London. Really nice people as they brought the Mojo to my hotel fitting to my schedule as I was in a business trip.

I am using Mimby paired with TV audio as DBT broadcast sends out audio in lossless format and with Chromecast audio for Tidal, with stereo integrated amp and loudspeakers, and this setup is fantastic, Mimby is by far much better than any other Delta Sigma DAC I have used.

Mojo costs double than Mimby and price Gap is worth. I don't know if FPGA is better than multibit but when used with headphones you notice the difference.

So Mojo to drive my MrSpeakers Ether Flow and Mimby/Marantz for the speakers.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #3,162 of 4,588
At audio audiovenue.com at London. Really nice people as they brought the Mojo to my hotel fitting to my schedule as I was in a business trip.

I am using Mimby paired with TV audio as DBT broadcast sends out audio in lossless format and with Chromecast audio for Tidal, with stereo integrated amp and loudspeakers, and this setup is fantastic, Mimby is by far much better than any other Delta Sigma DAC I have used.

Mojo costs double than Mimby and price Gap is worth. I don't know if FPGA is better than multibit but when used with headphones you notice the difference.

So Mojo to drive my MrSpeakers Ether Flow and Mimby/Marantz for the speakers.

To me it doesn't worth the extra cash... Mojo is overstimated

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #3,163 of 4,588
I was wholly unimpressed with the Mojo. I prefer Mimby.....

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #3,164 of 4,588
First off the Mojo is a PORTABLE DAC & AMP isn't it?  The Mimby is a standalone DESKTOP DAC (no amp).  Flexibility wise the MOJO is obviously superior.

I own the Mimby (fed coaxially by an X5ii and amped by a Vali 2) so I am very familiar with it's sound.  I only had the opportunity to hear the Mojo at a store so I couldn't directly A/B these 2 DACs, however to me there was nothing offensive or lacking with the MOJO sound when compared to my auditory memory of how the Mimby sounded by comparison.  Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back