Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Nov 26, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #1,606 of 4,588
  Looking for opinions of ranking the below USB signal reclockers/cleaners for quality and purity of signal achieved for my future Mimby to be:

USB Regen
Recovery USB Reclocker
Schiit Wyrd

Thanks

I guess they are all just as equally good judging by the overflowing spillage of responses this query is receiving.

Thanks so much.

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #1,607 of 4,588

Way out of my price range but cool none the less. I can't really tell how good the power is in my house is but I might go with one of the Furman strips just to try out power conditioning. 

I also use a Furman, but I have the PST-8D. its a beastly large heavy thing but I have it mounted under my desk so you don't see it. I had a bad hum from the pre-amp outs of my Jotunheim when it was off, but none when on.... so strange. Anyway the Furman cleared that right up along with all other noise in my system. I can turn the Jot volume knob to max (PC muted of course) and its dead silent on my balanced HD650s.

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #1,608 of 4,588
PST-8D is the same one I use on my Mimby & Vali2 computer sound system. Cheap for what it does. About $107 at Amazon

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #1,609 of 4,588
Ordered one to replace my original first gen Modi. Should be a good upgrade. As a lot of people are in my boat (total system budget of $1500 or less), I will be doing a comprehensive review of my whole system and various configurations. Massdrop HD6XX are on the way as well. 

Below will be tested and reviewed. 

Headphones
HE-560
D2000 (modded)
HD598
HD6XX

Amps
Vintage Receiver Superscope R-330 
Emotiva Mini-A 100
Schiit Magni

I did a lot of testing b/w my receiver and the Emotiva and found almost no difference in quality and I am personally not a believer in spending big $$ on an amp as long as it has enough juice to provide dynamic range and control. For me this means the D2000 sounds the same whether I use the Magni or the R-330 whereas the HE-560 thrives on the R-330/Emotiva but the Magni does not allow the 560 to reach full potential.

For a simpler comparison, I believe 100% that my 560's would sound better run out of the balanced output on the Jotunheim compared to the SE simply due to the increased power (3 watts vs 800mW @ 50 ohms). I believe my HD6XX would also sound better whereas the D2000 would not benefit as it would be getting enough power from SE to shine. If anyone wants to send me a Jotunheim to test this... :)

Since there has been a lot of discussion in here about optical vs usb I will try to provide clarity as well by listening via USB output on my raspberry pi w/ picoreplayer and then physical CD run from my bluray player via optical.

Will provide initial multibit impressions this friday when it arrives followed by full write up when i get the HD6XX in at end of the month. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #1,610 of 4,588
  Ordered one to replace my original first gen Modi. Should be a good upgrade. As a lot of people are in my boat (total system budget of $1500 or less), I will be doing a comprehensive review of my whole system and various configurations. Massdrop HD6XX are on the way as well. 

Below will be tested and reviewed. 

Headphones
HE-560
D2000 (modded)
HD598
HD6XX

Amps
Vintage Receiver Superscope R-330 
Emotiva Mini-A 100
Schiit Magni

I did a lot of testing b/w my receiver and the Emotiva and found almost no difference in quality and I am personally not a believer in spending big $$ on an amp as long as it has enough juice to provide dynamic range and control. For me this means the D2000 sounds the same whether I use the Magni or the R-330 whereas the HE-560 thrives on the R-330/Emotiva but the Magni does not allow the 560 to reach full potential.

For a simpler comparison, I believe 100% that my 560's would sound better run out of the balanced output on the Jotunheim compared to the SE simply due to the increased power (3 watts vs 800mW @ 50 ohms). I believe my HD6XX would also sound better whereas the D2000 would not benefit as it would be getting enough power from SE to shine. If anyone wants to send me a Jotunheim to test this... :)

Since there has been a lot of discussion in here about optical vs usb I will try to provide clarity as well by listening via USB output on my raspberry pi w/ picoreplayer and then physical CD run from my bluray player via optical.

Will provide initial multibit impressions this friday when it arrives followed by full write up when i get the HD6XX in at end of the month. 

Looking forward to it!

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #1,611 of 4,588
I'm another about to convert over to my first schiit product, the modi multibit. I need to sell a SMSL M8 first, and my old Fiio E10. The SMSL was such a huge upgrade from the Fiio, I'm really looking forward to having the multibit though. I wish I could have both at the same time to really directly compare, but oh well. I've listened to the M8 for over a year, I think I will be able to spot the major differences.

Listening on a Woo WA6 and PS500, so any sort of smoothness or accuracy in the highs should show up very easily. Hoping this will take the system about as far as it can be taken. I had been eyeing a yggy, but the cost was so prohibitive that I just assumed it would be 5 or 10 years before I could get it. Now, maybe I won't have to. Read a lot of favorable impressions of the modi multibit, so as long as it's better than the M8, I think I'll be happy.

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #1,612 of 4,588
I'm another about to convert over to my first schiit product, the modi multibit. I need to sell a SMSL M8 first, and my old Fiio E10. The SMSL was such a huge upgrade from the Fiio, I'm really looking forward to having the multibit though. I wish I could have both at the same time to really directly compare, but oh well. I've listened to the M8 for over a year, I think I will be able to spot the major differences.

Listening on a Woo WA6 and PS500, so any sort of smoothness or accuracy in the highs should show up very easily. Hoping this will take the system about as far as it can be taken. I had been eyeing a yggy, but the cost was so prohibitive that I just assumed it would be 5 or 10 years before I could get it. Now, maybe I won't have to. Read a lot of favorable impressions of the modi multibit, so as long as it's better than the M8, I think I'll be happy.

I had an M8. Was so disappointed that I gave it to someone fresh out of college. I felt guilty asking for money. You will love the Modi multibit. It is a substantial upgrade

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #1,613 of 4,588
I had an M8. Was so disappointed that I gave it to someone fresh out of college. I felt guilty asking for money. You will love the Modi multibit. It is a substantial upgrade

That's good to read.    I also have an M8.  It's a great little device.   I like it paired with my JBL LSR308s, but not so much with my Revel M106s.

I also think it sounds better when sending my 16/44.1 music converted to DSD128 with Jriver vs sending it natively and having the M8 do the upsampling.

My Modi multibit will be here Friday.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #1,614 of 4,588
Hey you all, I'm not quiet familiar with the whole R2R multibit thing, so some questions here. As listed by the Schiit website, Mimby and Bimby are built around AD5547, which is a 16bit dac, but they are both listed as capable of dealing with 24 bit input. Is there any special sampling schematic? I think Schiit is not using multipe chips for more bit depth, right? So is the Mimby basically a 16 bit DAC?

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,616 of 4,588
  Hey you all, I'm not quiet familiar with the whole R2R multibit thing, so some questions here. As listed by the Schiit website, Mimby and Bimby are built around AD5547, which is a 16bit dac, but they are both listed as capable of dealing with 24 bit input. Is there any special sampling schematic? I think Schiit is not using multipe chips for more bit depth, right? So is the Mimby basically a 16 bit DAC?

The filter is 32 bit the result is rounded to 16 bits

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #1,617 of 4,588

I have both currently but not on the same system.  I use the M8 with my slightly warm headphone amp and find that they work together very well.  I use the Modibit with my slightly bright speaker system and find it also works together very well to smooth out the highs.  Other than the slight difference in slightly warm versus slightly bright, I don't think you will find a huge difference.

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #1,619 of 4,588
  So what should settings be in windows and media players? does it matter? Thanks

I posted that earlier and was told it doesn't. I use 44.1Khz/16 bit FYI.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #1,620 of 4,588
I have both currently but not on the same system.  I use the M8 with my slightly warm headphone amp and find that they work together very well.  I use the Modibit with my slightly bright speaker system and find it also works together very well to smooth out the highs.  Other than the slight difference in slightly warm versus slightly bright, I don't think you will find a huge difference.

My paired poorly with Canton Ergo 70 speakers. I figured it would do fine driving Audioengine A5 speakers. They have silk dome tweeters and are warm. So, I agree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back