Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Nov 24, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #1,591 of 4,588
  Anyone try the iFi DC iPurifier with the multi modi? I'm trying to squeeze out every possible once of sound quality from this thing and I'm wondering if there are any gains to be made in the power department. 

Link: http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-dcipurifier/

EDIT: Never mind, the Modi uses an AC power supply so it would be compatible with the DC purifier. 

I use a Wyrd. Other than the fact that they stack nicely, the Wyrd takes the Mimby up a level and definitely worth it.

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #1,593 of 4,588

I use a Wyrd. Other than the fact that they stack nicely, the Wyrd takes the Mimby up a level and definitely worth it.

I actually just noticed a "hum" in my noise floor last night when I was playing a very quiet movie, it sounded a lot like the 60hz mains hum. After some diagnostics and moving all signal wires well away from power lines, I realized it wasn't external noise. 

Then I moved the Mimby usb from the hub to directly into my laptop's side port. Bingo! No more noise.

Turns out my Razer gaming mouse and keyboard aren't very well designed from a noise standpoint, both will pollute the Mimby's usb with a buzzing hum if either is plugged into the same USB hub...

I bet if I get a Wyrd it will be fine to use the hub, this is exactly the kind of noise it's designed to get rid of!

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,594 of 4,588

The Wyrd is a USB purifier while the DC ifi is a power purifier. I'm using a CD player connected via coax so I don't have to worry about USB flaws. I'm mostly wondering if their are any gains to be made in the power department. I already found that a spike strip dulls the sound ever so slightly so I'm now looking at power conditioners but the ifi also caught me eye, however it's for DC wall warts and the Mimby uses and AC wart so not compatible.

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #1,595 of 4,588

I actually just noticed a "hum" in my noise floor last night when I was playing a very quiet movie, it sounded a lot like the 60hz mains hum. After some diagnostics and moving all signal wires well away from power lines, I realized it wasn't external noise. 

Then I moved the Mimby usb from the hub to directly into my laptop's side port. Bingo! No more noise.

Turns out my Razer gaming mouse and keyboard aren't very well designed from a noise standpoint, both will pollute the Mimby's usb with a buzzing hum if either is plugged into the same USB hub...

I bet if I get a Wyrd it will be fine to use the hub, this is exactly the kind of noise it's designed to get rid of!

In Mike's Thread He recently posted about this. Years ago Computers where kept away from audio gear for fear of noise now it's the norm. This then means we have alot more to worry about than keeping Mains Wires away from signal wires. The Devices that are kept around the computers and even cell phones can be offenders. 

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,596 of 4,588
I haven't read any problems installing the Schiit Win10 drivers on any of the recent posts. My multibit still will not install using the win10 1.01 driver.
Today I learned two things:
1. Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview build 14965.rs will install the new Windows USB 2.0 driver instead of downloading the Cmedia default driver, sans ASIO.
2. Why the Schiit Win10 driver will not install.

The device descriptor returned by my Schiit Multibit is: Device USB\VID_0D8C&PID_0004&MI_00\6&1796ec34&1&0000.
The CMAUACWO.inf file in the "Schiit_USB_Gen2_W10_1_01\Schiit_USB_Gen2_W10_1_01\WIN10\SoftwareDriver\Driver" directory does not contain an entry for this device.
I added the entry "%CMUACWO.DeviceDesc%=CMUACWO,USB\VID_0D8C&PID_0004&MI_00" to the file (or just change the PID of one) and the driver installed.

One change is that the ASIO for Generic USB Device is changed to ASIO for USB device. There is also not separately installed file for the ASIO.

I hope this helps somebody.
Duncan.

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #1,598 of 4,588
I'm also curious as to which reclockers, cleaners, etc would benefit my Mimby. I am using USB directly from my Dell Xeon computer that's built like a tank (I pull out if the trash!) Also curios if a USB to Spdif convertor would be a good bet. The Xu208 Xmos chip used in the Singxer products appear to do a great job. My computer has firewire so maybe a firewire to spdif convertor. Some of the pro audio firewire interfaces that use the Dice chips are supposed to be really good at reducing jitter. Obviously don't want to spend big bucks on one of these devices. The Mimby seems to be the best bang for buck convertor on the planet. Can't go crazy with the add on devices

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #1,599 of 4,588
I'm also curious as to which reclockers, cleaners, etc would benefit my Mimby. I am using USB directly from my Dell Xeon computer that's built like a tank (I pull out if the trash!) Also curios if a USB to Spdif convertor would be a good bet. The Xu208 Xmos chip used in the Singxer products appear to do a great job. My computer has firewire so maybe a firewire to spdif convertor. Some of the pro audio firewire interfaces that use the Dice chips are supposed to be really good at reducing jitter. Obviously don't want to spend big bucks on one of these devices. The Mimby seems to be the best bang for buck convertor on the planet. Can't go crazy with the add on devices

Wyred 4 Sound uLink that I use does a good job of reclocking the USB to SPDIF Coax, BNC, optical IMO.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #1,602 of 4,588
The Wyrd is a USB purifier while the DC ifi is a power purifier. I'm using a CD player connected via coax so I don't have to worry about USB flaws. I'm mostly wondering if their are any gains to be made in the power department. I already found that a spike strip dulls the sound ever so slightly so I'm now looking at power conditioners but the ifi also caught me eye, however it's for DC wall warts and the Mimby uses and AC wart so not compatible.

PS Audio detect power center

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #1,604 of 4,588

Way out of my price range but cool none the less. I can't really tell how good the power is in my house is but I might go with one of the Furman strips just to try out power conditioning. 

Furman PL 8C that I use for about $120 or less does a good job IMO without degrading transparency or making the overall sound too polite/dull.

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,605 of 4,588

Way out of my price range but cool none the less. I can't really tell how good the power is in my house is but I might go with one of the Furman strips just to try out power conditioning. 

If you're looking just for a strip, I use these on both my computer and TV setup:
Power Bar Furman PST-2+6 8 Outlet 15A w/Surge Suppression
​Can't comment on their "Power Conditioning" qualities but great power bars at a decent price. Though I noticed they've shot up in price since I bought mine (in Canada)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back