Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Nov 22, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #1,576 of 4,588
  Thank you:

Maybe Schiit upgraded or poster's concerns were unwarranted when they voiced their thoughts.  Either way, if you believe it to be of good quality that helps.

I don't know what Post(s) you are referring to or what difference they heard but a typical Upgrade for most gear is to go from a switching PS to a Linear Power supply but you already have one.  A Chinese Made Linear PS from Flea bay can run $100 USD +. As I said I don't Know how much better it can get. I wanted to point out that they are not typical DC Switching Supplies. In actuality it is another point to the Value you get from Schiit.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #1,577 of 4,588
  I've heard some posters mention that the Mimby's external power supply isn't the best....

Mimby's external power supply is basically just a step down transformer, all the filtering and regulation is done inside Mimby; so unless you can get a "better" step down transformer you can't improve the power supply without ripping Mimby apart, not recommended
cool.gif

Unfortunately there will always be posts from people who read something somewhere and think it applies everywhere without understanding - like replacing wall warts - it can be worthwhile replacing cheap DC supplies, this does not apply to Mimby.

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #1,579 of 4,588
I've been reading about how you should leave a multibit DAC on 24/7 and was concerned about power usage over the course of a month, so I wrote to Schiit asking about how much kWh the Mimby would pull after being on and idle for about 24 hours and got the following reply: "It would be in the vicinity of 0.192kWh"

Nice. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #1,580 of 4,588
Originally Posted by SirRealist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... "It would be in the vicinity of 0.192kWh"

That's what I like to see, an approximation to 3 significant figures.
biggrin.gif

Edit: Doesn't it depend on which multibit DAC? I think Yggy might use more ...

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #1,582 of 4,588

Do the Bimby; Yiggy and the other one run hot as well?

Bimby: lukewarm. Yggy: cool, running my hand over the top and sides only a bit above room temperature in some spots. Room temperature is 68F/20C. I leave Bimby (home office headphone system) and Yggy (living room speaker system) on all the time, except when I'm traveling.

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #1,583 of 4,588
Thanks Earnmyturns:

If my intentions are to use the Mimby in a laptop set-up for two channel listening, do you believe that a Wyrd between the two would make the sound cleaner and therefore more enjoyable? Or does the Mimby itself have these abilities inherent?

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #1,584 of 4,588
Hi All,

I just got a mimby to compare to my modi 2 uber, and the rig pictured below is the best way I could figure to do A/B testing. I used the SYS to bring down the output level of the mimby so it's the same as the uber. Is there a better way to do that? So far I think they both sound great with my magni2uber or vali2 with grado sr325 or sennheiser hd600. What type of source material do people find the most advantaged by multibit?

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #1,587 of 4,588
Hi All,

I just got a mimby to compare to my modi 2 uber, and the rig pictured below is the best way I could figure to do A/B testing. I used the SYS to bring down the output level of the mimby so it's the same as the uber. Is there a better way to do that? So far I think they both sound great with my magni2uber or vali2 with grado sr325 or sennheiser hd600. What type of source material do people find the most advantaged by multibit?

Jenga?

Nov 24, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #1,588 of 4,588
Anyone else notice that their Modi Multi fluctuates a lot in terms of case heat? Sometimes it gives off no heat whatsoever and other times it is really warm. The amount of time its on seems to have no effect on the heat level either. When I first got it, it warmed up fast and stayed warm but now it runs much cooler and only occasionally gets hot. I'm wondering if there are fluctuations in the power. I'm running the unit straight into the wall. 

Nov 24, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #1,589 of 4,588
I went ahead and bought a mimby and this will be my first solo Dac as I've mainly used daps and the USB dac function of the dap. I'm looking forward to hearing it with my Elear.

I'm looking at a few amps to go with the mimby but for now my S.M.S.L. sAp III will do.

Nov 24, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #1,590 of 4,588
Anyone try the iFi DC iPurifier with the multi modi? I'm trying to squeeze out every possible once of sound quality from this thing and I'm wondering if there are any gains to be made in the power department. 

Link: http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-dcipurifier/

EDIT: Never mind, the Modi uses an AC power supply so it would be compatible with the DC purifier. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back