Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Nov 17, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #1,546 of 4,588
I was wondering if anyone out there is experiencing a similar situation as I have been noticing with my Schiit Multibit DACs. I have both the Bifrost and Modi multibits. Unquestionably I find that both of my headphone systems listening experience has been enhanced with both of these DACs.

However, this is the thing, last night, at my bedside system (FiiO X5ii coaxial digital out > Modi Multibit > Lake People G109S > Senn HD 598SE) I decided to do an hour or so listening session before calling it a night. As it turns out I had one of those revelatory listening experiences (and no I hadn't partaken in anything). It was like the Modi MB kicked into another gear altogether. The soundscape was incredible. There was spectacular width, depth and height with mind blowing instrument separation. I could see an auditory image of the performance. Live tracks felt live because of the audience sounds at the start and end of the song. It was unreal how good my system sounded.

I have had those a-ha listening experiences before. Which sucks and begs the question why is this only an occasional experience? Why doesn't the Modi MB (& Bifrost MB on my other headphone system) sound like this 100% of the time?

One thing I've noticed is that the sound on my unit is much more holographic for awhile if I power cycle it for about 10 seconds. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,547 of 4,588
I was wondering if anyone out there is experiencing a similar situation as I have been noticing with my Schiit Multibit DACs. I have both the Bifrost and Modi multibits. Unquestionably I find that both of my headphone systems listening experience has been enhanced with both of these DACs.

However, this is the thing, last night, at my bedside system (FiiO X5ii coaxial digital out > Modi Multibit > Lake People G109S > Senn HD 598SE) I decided to do an hour or so listening session before calling it a night. As it turns out I had one of those revelatory listening experiences (and no I hadn't partaken in anything). It was like the Modi MB kicked into another gear altogether. The soundscape was incredible. There was spectacular width, depth and height with mind blowing instrument separation. I could see an auditory image of the performance. Live tracks felt live because of the audience sounds at the start and end of the song. It was unreal how good my system sounded.

I have had those a-ha listening experiences before. Which sucks and begs the question why is this only an occasional experience? Why doesn't the Modi MB (& Bifrost MB on my other headphone system) sound like this 100% of the time?

Hmmm... is this the first time you played the particular selections through that system?  Could be that the recording(s) have particular synergy with the system.

Or it could just be that the one hour deadline for listening time made the sound that much more delectable.  Although the possibility Clemmaster brings up of cleaner power rings true as well.

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #1,549 of 4,588

My system ALWAYS sounds better in the evening, and usually sounds not so great first thing in the morning. My DAC and Bridge stay on 24/7, MY computer and tube amp go on about 6am ( however they always warm up for at least 30 minute before I listen). My conclusion is that it's my hearing. I think it takes most of the day for my ears to warm up!

Downloaded tracks usually sound not so hot the first time I listen to them, but sound better with a few plays.I think the Digital Files have to warm up. Hey, I kid you not!!

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #1,550 of 4,588

My system ALWAYS sounds better in the evening, and usually sounds not so great first thing in the morning. My DAC and Bridge stay on 24/7, MY computer and tube amp go on about 6am ( however they always warm up for at least 30 minute before I listen). My conclusion is that it's my hearing. I think it takes most of the day for my ears to warm up!

Downloaded tracks usually sound not so hot the first time I listen to them, but sound better with a few plays.I think the Digital Files have to warm up. Hey, I kid you not!!

Everybody knows you have to burn in the downloaded files to make them less fatiguing 
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #1,551 of 4,588

Thats why its important not to overplay your downloads. Eventually they will get really boring?

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #1,552 of 4,588
Our listening is not a constant. Mood, brain alertness versus fatigue, state of relaxation and associated attention, etc. A headfier - forget who but maybe SP Wild - years ago stated our ears vary in hearing acuity through the month. A peak listening experience needs all these things to come together. It's not just the gear.

And concerning the evening, I noted several years ago my gear got louder at a given point on the dial (measured with pink noise and an SPL meter in the course of a DAC shootout).

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #1,553 of 4,588
There are too many anecdotal mentions of the "aha" listening experience to dismiss it out of hand as hallucination.  As I have mentioned on my own blog on this forum, the newest member of our R&D staff spent much time researching musical mood derivations.  She was hired to initially write algorithms for our Manhattan Project, so named because it is a completely new tool for the enjoyment of music.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 17, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,554 of 4,588
  There are too many anecdotal mentions of the "aha" listening experience to dismiss it out of hand as hallucination.  As I have mentioned on my own blog on this forum, the newest member of our R&D staff spent much time researching musical mood derivations.  She was hired to initially write algorithms for our Manhattan Project, so named because it is a completely new tool for the enjoyment of music.

I just had one of those moments hearing the beginning of Gonzalo Rubalcaba's "Faith" album through Yggdrasil>Hegel H360>KEF Reference 1s. Had just got home after a very long work day, close to exhausted and starving, big headache, chose that album at random, and the initial piano chords shimmered like never before. This is the moment when the Yggy>H360 combo went from excellent to magical. I've heard Rubalcaba live quite a few times (what a treat!), this is the first time that the glow of his playing came fully through at home. Electrochemical (in)balance inside my skull? Yggy and H360 burn-in accomplished? Cleaner evening power? Who knows, magical nonetheless.

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #1,555 of 4,588
  I just had one of those moments hearing the beginning of Gonzalo Rubalcaba's "Faith" album through Yggdrasil>Hegel H360>KEF Reference 1s. Had just got home after a very long work day, close to exhausted and starving, big headache, chose that album at random, and the initial piano chords shimmered like never before. This is the moment when the Yggy>H360 combo went from excellent to magical. I've heard Rubalcaba live quite a few times (what a treat!), this is the first time that the glow of his playing came fully through at home. Electrochemical (in)balance inside my skull? Yggy and H360 burn-in accomplished? Cleaner evening power? Who knows, magical nonetheless.

It's the cleaner evening power where the majority of major megapower consuming commerce/businesses are off the grid. Bimby sounds magical too only during evenings for me as well. Tonality just sounded like you're listening to another higher dimension DAC when 6 - 7pm comes.

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #1,557 of 4,588

It's the cleaner evening power where the majority of major megapower consuming commerce/businesses are off the grid. Bimby sounds magical too only during evenings for me as well. Tonality just sounded like you're listening to another higher dimension DAC when 6 - 7pm comes.

I'm slightly skeptical because microRendu+Teddy Pardo>Yggy>H360 all have top notch power supplies and my neighborhood is mostly residential. I find it more likely that I'm more susceptible to the sound when I'm starting to relax after getting home. But I could be convinced otherwise, if only I had the time, patience, and skill to measure my power sources.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #1,558 of 4,588
I find it far more likely that change (s) in one, or more, of the innumerable and unmeasureable variables within us is responsible for these type of phenomena than that something was suddenly different (and magically changed back before the next listening session) in a piece of gear. Just sayin'.

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #1,559 of 4,588
Well personally I appreciate hearing everyone's opinions about my post if for no other reason but to confirm that these listening experiences are more common than I realized. Also I think it's safe to say that there most likely isn't an issue with my equipment, which initially I was concerned about. While this phenomenon isn't completely unknown to me (many years of 2 channel speaker system listening sessions), headphone listening ratchets up the intimacy as well as the intensity. Going forward I will just continue to enjoy my listening sessions and cherish any of those random a-ha moments. Enjoy the music.

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #1,560 of 4,588
Unless you have the emotions, mental state, and physical makeup of a brick, then you will change, and your perception of reality will change throughout the day, in a somewhat predictable fashion. It's not surprising that you might find music more enjoyable at one time or another. You probably find naps more enjoyable at one time or another, math is easier in the morning, musical practice is often best done later at night, etc.

Just the basic human condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back