Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 22, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #737 of 4,588

It is rounded down to 16 bits, but still plays at 48kHz.  The Combo Burrito filter is applied; it is applied to anything up to 176kHz.

I don't think there is a way to prevent the schiit MB DACs from sampling 48 kHz. On bimby and mobi the multiplier would be 4, so  48 * 4 = 192. On gumby / yggy the multipler would be 8 for 48.

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #739 of 4,588

What does the comboburrito actually do and from my understanding it is only used in the multibit DACs?

My understanding is that it is an oversampling digital filter that preserves the original samples. 
Don't understand the deep details.

From google:

o·ver·sam·pling
ˌōvərˈsampliNG/
noun ELECTRONICS

• the technique of increasing the apparent sampling frequency of a digital signal by repeating each digit a number of times, in order to facilitate the subsequent filtering of unwanted noise.

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #740 of 4,588
My understanding is that it is an oversampling digital filter that preserves the original samples. 
Don't understand the deep details.

From google:

[COLOR=222222]o·ver·sam·pling[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]
ˌōvərˈsampliNG/

noun
ELECTRONICS

[COLOR=878787] [/COLOR]

• the technique of increasing the apparent sampling frequency of a digital signal by repeating each digit a number of times, in order to facilitate the subsequent filtering of unwanted noise.

[/COLOR]

I thought in order to preserve the original sample it had be be a non oversampling filter? How does the original sample get preserved if it is oversampled, kind of confused

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #741 of 4,588
I thought in order to preserve the original sample it had be be a non oversampling filter? How does the original sample get preserved if it is oversampled, kind of confused

My guess is that Schiit would say the answer to your question is "proprietary".

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #742 of 4,588
Here is what Mike Moffat (baldr) wrote about the filter in another thread:

An SOF (Schiit only feature) – The Schiit Footlong Mega Burrito Supersauce Digital Filter:

It is a digital filter/sample rate converter designed to convert all audio to 352.8 or 396KHz sample rates so that it may drive our DACs. You get it from us; it is our filter. It keeps all original samples; those samples contain rudimentary frequency and phase information which can be optimized not only in the time domain but in the frequency domain. We do precisely this in the Yggy with said filter; this is the reason that on good recordings through Yggy you can hear the hall, its dimensions, and the exact position of anyone coughing or farting in the room, the motions of guitars being hoisted in preparation of being played, sheet music pages being turned, etc. etc. This comes from our mega burrito filter. A friend of mine, Jonathan Horwich, sells analog master tapes in ½ track form – at least 15 IPS, and 30 (I believe) as well. On those analog masters, you can also hear the entire environment before the music starts – what is amazing there is that even if on accounts for hearing “down into” the analog noise, the S/N indicates a 14 bit performance at best for those tapes. 14 bit or not – those tapes, totally scratch my itch. If you want that, we got that and more in the Yggy.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-kinda-sucks-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff/1785#post_11022012

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #743 of 4,588
Another (colorful) baldr post on the subject:
Digitally, it takes nothing away from the original information. Nothing, nada, ******-all. It then takes a weighted average of the original samples and adds frequency (read flat) and time (read image) extra info between the samples to convert the samples to 352.8/396KHz. All complete calculations – NO approximations. All info is a function of the original. Real math – hard science. Not psychology or social science. 2 + 2 = 4. Now and forever.

The result is a D/A converter that images like nothing I have ever digitally heard. The promise is that with better recordings (Cowboy Junkies, for example) you hear the entire environment. If you check it against photos of the original session (often available as part of the LP/CD documentation or online), you may be shocked.

That's what Yggy digitally does. Period! (Pardon the shouts) IT DOES NOT MAKE BAD RECORDINGS SOUND GOOD. If you let it warm up all the way, IT DOES NOT MAKE BAD RECORDINGS SOUND WORSE. If you are listening to a lot of bad recordings, you may try stamp collecting or another hobby. You do not have to believe in the tooth fairy, the easter bunny, or swing dead chickens around your head while dancing nude and covered with moose dung in the Alaskan tundra in February.  Flippin' science.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-delta-sigma-kinda-sucks-just-to-get-you-to-think-about-stuff/1800#post_11023066

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #744 of 4,588

It had to be non-oversampling because most oversampling filters destroy the original data, unlike comboburrito, while still being an oversampling filter, preserves the original data.

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #745 of 4,588

It had to be non-oversampling because most oversampling filters destroy the original data, unlike comboburrito, which, while still an oversampling filter, preserves the original data.

Yeah, baldr uses "digital filter/sample rate converter". Apologize for any incorrect information.

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #746 of 4,588
Also check out the Yggy FAQ for more information about the filter.

http://schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #747 of 4,588

Think of if this way. The original samples are (x,y) points where x is the time axis and y the amplitude for the sample. Suppose now that that x0 and x4 are the times for two consecutive 48 kHz samples (meaning that x4 - x0 == 1/48000 of a second), with amplitudes y0 and y4. To oversample 4x, we need to add 3 new equally spaced synthetic samples (x1, y1), (x2, y2), and (x3, y3) with x4-x3 == x3-x2 == x2-x1 == x1-x0 == 1/192000 of a second. The Schiit filter computes y1, y2, and y3 so that the resulting waveform minimizes additional time and frequency distortion from an ideal waveform that would have produced the original samples. Most other oversampling setups are unable to do this without also adjusting y0 and y4, thus failing to preserve the original samples.

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #750 of 4,588
  I just got my Multibit in, but is it normal that the input is this far off center? https://www.dropbox.com/s/or4emk79hwjwm0c/20160823_142801.jpg?dl=0

If you shoot an email with that picture to Laura at orders@schiit.com, she can tell you if that's really off or not. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back