Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Jul 27, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #121 of 4,588
  Oh boy my head is spinning, googled multibit dac and it went into resistors and numbers and all sorts of crazy stuff.  But it seems like there are a number of issues that multibit has, linearity problems, zero crossing problems and changes in performance when temperatures change.

Not sure what that all means though the temperature issue intrigues me though as the room i listen to can get pretty warm at times....damned high end pc =P

I just leave a bag of frozen peas on mine and it seems to work fine. 

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #123 of 4,588
Want want want want want want WANT!

Added to wishlist.  Haha.

I've always wanted to introduce myself to good multibit sound since people rave about it so much, but the prices for such DAC's were always somewhat out of reach for me.  This product changes everything!

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #124 of 4,588
  Want want want want want want WANT!

Added to Schiitlist.  Haha.

I've always wanted to introduce myself to good multibit sound since people rave about it so much, but the prices for such DAC's were always somewhat out of reach for me.  This product changes everything!

FTFY 
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #125 of 4,588
Mine is scheduled for delivery today!

I'm replacing an original Modi.

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #126 of 4,588
^^ Nice.

Mine should be here Friday. I took delivery of the Modi 2 Uber a few weeks ago and returned after the Modi Multibit release. I was burning it in on my home theatre and never got the opportunity to hook it up to my 2 channel. Since the Denon AVR re-samples the signal from the Modi I unfortunately won't be able to compare/contrast the two 

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #127 of 4,588
Guys and gals, I'm not sure what to tell you. Only the magic is there for me with the Modi Multibit, just as it was for the three previous incarnations I have heard. At the moment, listening to Natural Elements by Acoustic Alchemy - the track is Drake's Drum. There is lots of "acoustic" in this album. Through the 4490, it sounds less real. The decay to each strum of the guitar, the cymbals, some sort of what I would describe as a salt shaker, it is all more difficult for me to "bite" into. Switch back to the Multibit, and I can immediately associate what I hear with reality. Even that salt shaker became less of a one-note instrument and more of a person striking a metallic object, with a swishing motion. There was more enunciation and rhythm to what they were doing - definitely not a salt shaker. There is also nice decay to the cymbals and drums. There is more technique in how the strings are strummed on the guitar.

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #128 of 4,588
Guys and gals, I'm not sure what to tell you. Only the magic is there for me with the Modi Multibit, just as it was for the three previous incarnations I have heard. At the moment, listening to Natural Elements by Acoustic Alchemy - the track is Drake's Drum. There is lots of "acoustic" in this album. Through the 4490, it sounds less real. The decay to each strum of the guitar, the cymbals, some sort of what I would describe as a salt shaker, it is all more difficult for me to "bite" into. Switch back to the Multibit, and I can immediately associate what I hear with reality. Even that salt shaker became less of a one-note instrument and more of a person striking a metallic object, with a swishing motion. There was more enunciation and rhythm to what they were doing - definitely not a salt shaker. There is also nice decay to the cymbals and drums. There is more technique in how the strings are strummed on the guitar.

Very nice description! Love Acoustic Alchemy, their recording technique is second to none, great pick!!

Can't wait for my Mimby to arrive!

:p

Jul 27, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #130 of 4,588

FTFY 
biggrin.gif

Hahaha, thanks for that.

I had an Asgard 2 on loan for five or six months before along with a pair of Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs.  Used my Fiio X3ii as a DAC (pretty good, has a CS4398 chip in a fairly-good implementation).  The Alpha Dogs sounded oh-so-sweet from that setup, and it's a real cheap one too :)

I think I'd like to get a good Stack of Schiit to drive my eventual endgame (maybe the Ether C Flow from what I've been seeing lately).  If I can audition it to see what I think of the multibit sound, and decide I love it, I'll probably get the Modi Multibit as the first part of that stack.

I've asked this before about multibit stuff but how does it change the sound, exactly?  Like, how does the Bifrost Multibit actually improve on the sound of the Bifrost, for example?  What will be the difference between the sound of this and the standard Modi?

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #131 of 4,588
I wonder that myself.  I have heard that supposedly multibit makes it sound more natural while delta sigma (your average dac)  makes things sound more digital.  What this translates to im not sure maybe multibit sounds more intimate or lush im not sure.  

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #132 of 4,588
Impatiently awaiting reviews

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #134 of 4,588
I'm a little more specific - I'd like to hear from people who are using the Magni 2 Uber and this DAC.

I'm using an original Magni and Vali. The sound was quite instantly recognizable through the Vali. Trailing edges of sounds decayed in a way I found more natural, which is compared against the Modi 2 Uber (4490). Things like the brush strokes against cymbals was no longer noise, but a recognizable artist's technique. Guitar plucks were less thump-thump and more pluck-pluck with meaning - some loud and others soft. But I haven't listened to a lot. I was starting to get lost in the sound, before I switched to the Magni. Again - an original Magni. Not Magni 2 or Magni 2 Uber. I'm quite curious what people think of the sound through the newest Magni 2 Uber.

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #135 of 4,588

I've asked this before about multibit stuff but how does it change the sound, exactly?  Like, how does the Bifrost Multibit actually improve on the sound of the Bifrost, for example?  What will be the difference between the sound of this and the standard Modi?

I assume you weren't here for the extensive rants from  @purrin , @Baldr and others re the utter superiority of multibit DACs over delta-sigma designs ? Probably best to cut to the chase and read a few Yggy impressions from other Head-Fiers - this thread is only 197 pages long. I think the first thread was somewhere in excess of 500 pages before the Yggy even made it into a FedEx truck.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766347/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread

If you want something a little more polished and concise, it seems Jason caved on his usual 'no review samples' and let Darko loose on a Gumby :

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/01/zesty-and-sweet-the-stunning-schiit-gungnir-multibit-dac/

So now we have the Yggy, Gumby, Bimby and Mimby - like Pokemon, apparently the aim is to get 'em all  :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back