Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Oct 5, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #3,961 of 4,588
As you can see, something caused, the perfect circle hole/indention in my night stand, whether its heat or chemical related. But common sense tells me its heat.
Wow! Maybe a chemical in the rubber, is eating the finish on the wood. That is a cool looking finish, by the way.

Oct 5, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #3,962 of 4,588
Wow! Maybe a chemical in the rubber, is eating the finish on the wood. That is a cool looking finish, by the way.

Thanks for the compliment! I also really like the night stands. They were not cheap and as you can imagine this happening kinda pisses me off....

I went ahead and placed extra feet under the Loki so this cant happen again. I’m sure everyone is familiar with those anti scrach floor feet for furniture. I used some tiny ones that match up to the loki. They have that fuzzy fiber bottom so hopefully no more issues. Now i need to call the furniture company to see what i can do about touching up the damage the mimby caused........

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #3,964 of 4,588
I think your cheap nightstand had a chemical reaction with the rubber feet. LOL
Your "common sense" is letting you down. Rubber does not conduct heat.

I agree. The photo doesn't look like the result of heat, but of a reaction of the furniture's finish and plasticizers in the feet.

This all got me curious, so I just lifted all my Schiit from the desk; none of the feet had even an inkling of wanting to stick.

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #3,965 of 4,588
I agree. The photo doesn't look like the result of heat, but of a reaction of the furniture's finish and plasticizers in the feet.

This all got me curious, so I just lifted all my Schiit from the desk; none of the feet had even an inkling of wanting to stick.

Its possible, but i have other components on the nightstand with rubbber feet on them like a surge protector that even has a large printer and laptop sitting on top of it and not even the first hint of sticking. I’m still leaning towards heat unless schiit uses some kind of special rubber that’s different than the vast majority of others. You can see the big black thing next to the schiit stack in the photos. If rubber feet were a problem, then that would be a disaster by now.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #3,966 of 4,588
I also need to add that I had the magni 3 in the exact same spot as the mimby for at least a month while on 24/7 with no issues. It was not until i got the mimby that the sticking happened. As far as I know, they both use the same feet. If you think I’m lying about any of this go check the magni 3 section for about a month back. I mention having the magni 3 as a bedside setup and how i did not like the sound of it. That is what ultimately led me to get. oth the mimby and loki. This should help clear up any doubt about it being a purely chemican problem. If it is chemical, it was only able to manifest itsself because the added heat of the mimby caused its acrivation.

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #3,967 of 4,588
Why would we not believe you...

That said, your sharp responses to others seem to show that your are taking this a bit personally.

Therefore,

First suggestion call Schiit.

Second replace the rubber feet. I use these;
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Bumpon-SJ...qid=1538850289&sr=8-6&keywords=3m+rubber+feet
They are taller than the Schiit feet adding separation between the pieces of Schiit allowing for more air flow.

Of course as always IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada...

:)

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #3,968 of 4,588
Why would we not believe you...

That said, your sharp responses to others seem to show that your are taking this a bit personally.

Therefore,

First suggestion call Schiit.

Second replace the rubber feet. I use these;
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Bumpon-SJ...qid=1538850289&sr=8-6&keywords=3m+rubber+feet
They are taller than the Schiit feet adding separation between the pieces of Schiit allowing for more air flow.

Of course as always IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada...

:)

My sharp responses are only towards whose only goal is to incite tensions. I believe I’ve been more than courteous to people interested in helping. I of course would take a personal attack personally. I honestly dont want to send the unit back and be out of a setup for another week.

I believe I’ve solved the issue since I’ve already added feet under the loki to be safe since its on the bottom. I’ll just let the mimby cook away until it dies and send it back. It seems to be working fine as far as I can tell regarding sound quality. Just gets a bit toasty....

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #3,969 of 4,588
Unless schiit decides to send me a new unit, then I’ll send this one back so I won’t be out of a system in the mean time. I’ll pursue that. That would be truly great customer service.

I’ve had companies like Essence Electrostatic do this for me in the past when I had issues with their products. Bob Rapport the CEO was very helpful in that regard and hopefully schiit will be willing to do the same.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #3,970 of 4,588
Not gonna happen...

Oct 6, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #3,971 of 4,588
Not gonna happen...

Then I’ll let it cook away until it dies and move on to another company. I spend lots of money on stereo for my houses and it would be a shame to loose my business over some shipping costs, but that is up to schiit to decide. This is why when trying new companies out you always start with their low end products to wet your feet. If the water is cold then you get out before getting sick metaphorically.

They might tell me this is normal operation for the mimby. In that case this goes back to where this started when someone asked about whether or not leaving the mimby on ful time is preferred and I replied by advising them to fut a small 80mm fan near it to keep the heat in check.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #3,972 of 4,588
WP_20180302_03_09_58_Pro.jpg

That is ok. They do not need to worry, I will keep buying their Schiit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back