Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Feb 9, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #3,751 of 4,588
So I wanted to post thoughts on day two with the Modi Multibit vs the Modi 2 Uber. I definitely stand by my earlier statement that the difference is subtle but positive. It still sounds like the music has more extension with the Multibit. At this time I don't feel the difference is any greater than yesterday. I'm starting to think that as "Coug" mentioned earlier in this thread, this is more about the time with data and addressing non-linearity. My understanding is that the DAC needs to be feed data to become more accurate at error correction over time. As luck would have it I want to burn in some cans, so I'm gonna burn two candles and once. I'm gonna let my desk sit here and rock out until tomorrow and report back again.

Feb 9, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #3,752 of 4,588
So I wanted to post thoughts on day two with the Modi Multibit vs the Modi 2 Uber. I definitely stand by my earlier statement that the difference is subtle but positive. It still sounds like the music has more extension with the Multibit. At this time I don't feel the difference is any greater than yesterday. I'm starting to think that as "Coug" mentioned earlier in this thread, this is more about the time with data and addressing non-linearity. My understanding is that the DAC needs to be feed data to become more accurate at error correction over time. As luck would have it I want to burn in some cans, so I'm gonna burn two candles and once. I'm gonna let my desk sit here and rock out until tomorrow and report back again.

Thanks, looking forward to it! I'm pretty sold on the (source -> Eitr -> Mimby -> Jot -> HD6XX/HE4XX) setup I'm planning on build, but I still like to hear about comparisons of other DACs against Mimby.

Feb 9, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #3,753 of 4,588
Thanks, looking forward to it! I'm pretty sold on the (source -> Eitr -> Mimby -> Jot -> HD6XX/HE4XX) setup I'm planning on build, but I still like to hear about comparisons of other DACs against Mimby.
Sure thing! Actually, a friend of mine just picked up a Jot from a fellow Head-Fier. We're going to pair with the Mimby this weekend potentially. We both heard the Jot/Bimby combo a while back which inspired his purchase. We're both hoping for something similar with the Mimby as the more budget friendly option.

Feb 9, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #3,754 of 4,588
Sure thing! Actually, a friend of mine just picked up a Jot from a fellow Head-Fier. We're going to pair with the Mimby this weekend potentially. We both heard the Jot/Bimby combo a while back which inspired his purchase. We're both hoping for something similar with the Mimby as the more budget friendly option.

Looking forward to this too!

Feb 9, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #3,755 of 4,588

Keep in mind that more resolving amps (read: generally, more expensive) will better highlight differences in upstream components.

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #3,756 of 4,588
You're talking sound science again. Please take it to the appropriate forum.
The vast majority of Mimby owners agree the Schiit multibit DAC sounds better the longer it is left on. In my experience, the sound evolved, with the most obvious changes happening in 2 days, with more subtle changes happening after, leveling off after about a week or so.

I experienced the exact same thing with my Gumby, with the exception being Gumby changed fairly radically again after about one week. Leave the Mimby on for a week and then compare them. I doubt the differences will be as subtle.

You took a poll? Your nasty know it all attitude is really stinking up this thread.

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #3,758 of 4,588
My 2 Mimby's each run at about 33.5 degrees celcius. They sit freely (without anything on top of them). My much larger Bimby registers at a cooler 26.0 degrees celcius, however it does have a Jotunheim sitting on top of it. I leave all of my DAC's continuously powered up, occasionally powering them off and back on again to ensure that everything internally is working optimally.

The Bimby is probably cooler because it has a much larger enclosure. I typically don't leave the Jot powered up, only turning it on when I plan to listen to it. After the Jot has been turned on for 30 minutes or so and is fully heated up the Bimby temperature increases to 30.5 degrees celcius.

I have noticed that all of these Multibit DACs sound very similar however they tend to sound best when they are warmer in temperature. I find the Mimby's to be more susceptible to temperature change. They sound much better when they are warm so during the current winter months I place a thin paper back novel on top of them prior to a listening session in order to maintain a consistent warmer temperature.

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #3,759 of 4,588
My 2 Mimby's each run at about 33.5 degrees celcius. They sit freely (without anything on top of them). My much larger Bimby registers at a cooler 26.0 degrees celcius, however it does have a Jotunheim sitting on top of it. I leave all of my DAC's continuously powered up, occasionally powering them off and back on again to ensure that everything internally is working optimally.

The Bimby is probably cooler because it has a much larger enclosure. I typically don't leave the Jot powered up, only turning it on when I plan to listen to it. After the Jot has been turned on for 30 minutes or so and is fully heated up the Bimby temperature increases to 30.5 degrees celcius.

I have noticed that all of these Multibit DACs sound very similar however they tend to sound best when they are warmer in temperature. I find the Mimby's to be more susceptible to temperature change. They sound much better when they are warm so during the current winter months I place a thin paper back novel on top of them prior to a listening session in order to maintain a consistent warmer temperature.

My Mimby does run noticeably warmer (to the touch) compared to the Modi 2 Uber. I originally thought this was because the Mimby had been sitting on top of the Modi 2 Uber while "testing". But I pulled them out to the side in free air and allowed them to normalize. The Mimby is still a touch warmer.

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #3,760 of 4,588
OK, prolly a dead horse, I know, but...https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/641...

It talks about adc's, but likely true for dac as well. Specifically, the parts about SARs and transform function corrections.

It still seems like a looong time, but the dac used wasn't made for music, but it may be able to learn, optimize and give better performance with use. Kinda makes sense on the 24 bit 16 bit thing too. Where it talks about dac L > dac N.

All Just speculation on my part. SPECULATION. Don't hang me if I'm wrong. I'm just a knuckle dragging mechanical engineer. When electrical flow stops working like pipes, valves and fittings, I get lost.

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #3,761 of 4,588

It's a surprisingly good combo- the Jot is a bit forward, the Mimby isn't. Just make sure you feed the Mimby from good S/PDIF. The onboard USB isn't great. The S/PDIF PLLs against the signal, so it's at the mercy of its source. Given the low price of the DAC, it's folly to spend a fortune on anything too outrageous, but Schiit's Eitr will give you both electrical isolation and solid clocks free of phase noise. With that, the Mimby gains way better transients and separation due to lack of smeary sideband frequencies characteristic of jitter- you'll get to hear what it's actually capable of.

Actually, what it's capable of is pretty impressive, for the price.

Feb 10, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #3,763 of 4,588
Schiit multibit DACs are immune to jitter, stability of external clock is of no importance .

Wrong. "Multibit" doesn't make it immune to jitter, that is the output architecture of the actual converters, using a series of precise resistors onboard a discrete DAC chip, rather than a 1 bit pulsed output characteristic of the Delta/Sigma units. The inputs are completely unrelated to "multibitness". Hell, they're the other side of the DSP that does the filtering, even. Not sure what you're smoking.

The Gungir and Yggy have a Vx0 reclocker can fix a certain amount of phase noise. The S/PDIF input in the Bifrost and Modi series (multibit or D/S) simply PLL against the incoming signal, and thus are completely at the mercy of the incoming S/PDIF signal's clock.

None of them are "immune" to jitter. That is an impressively ludicrous assertion. Gross enough jitter will fox any DAC, the Gungir and Yggy included- they have a "buy better gear" light for a reason.

(Gen 5 USB offers good electrical isolation and solid clocks in the Bifrost/Gungir/Yggdrasil- it's a worthwhile upgrade for those who want to get rid of external DDCs).

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #3,765 of 4,588
That assertion is almost completely meaningless, you seem to be somewhat bewildered about how it all works. I don't intend to pick a fight with you, lest it cause you further distress. I hope that you agree, even if you clearly don't understand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back