Happy anniversary, Jan 2005 head-fiers!
Jan 5, 2006 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

DJ e

500+ Head-Fier
Thought it'd be interesting to touch base with those who joined Head-fi a year ago.
So, how much has Head-fi lightened your wallet since you've been here, and how much has your rig changed within the past year? Do you think that, in general, the nature of the board and its posters have changed since you joined a year ago?

Jan 5, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 23
Man I just realized it's my 2 year anniversary. Hopefully the next year brings more goodies, as I'll be graduating this spring
very_evil_smiley.gif

I just noticed that ever since coming here, the only headphone to earn it's permanent spot in my stable is the HD650. Of course, I had the HD580's first, but they lead to the HD650's. I've owned AKG's, Grado's, Allesandro's, and demo'd Larrys hybrids and some DT880's for a while...and I just keep coming back to my Senns
580smile.gif

Jan 5, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 23
Try being me. I have been here for almost 4 years ... and I still have not received Supremus status or a custom title.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 23
Well, I suppose this is my one year anniversary. In the headphone department, I am not that much worse for the wear; however, in the music department - let's not talk about that.
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's hard to believe that I've been here for a full year. It's also hard to believe that I have yet to crack 1000 in that time. Though, I suppose I might get the job done by my birthday. I just don't have the energy for spamming, largely because my diet has turned me into Spam.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 23
I didn't register until February but I started lurking in ernest late Dec/early Jan and just missed out on the Porta Corda group buy.

I've gone nuts the past couple of weeks -- spent $1800. I'm done with equipment buying -- well, maybe a headphone here or there but definitely no more amps and although maybe a DAC in the summer.
biggrin.gif

When I first arrived, all I had were SR60 (read a review at ign.com), MX500 and a 512 iRiver flash player. Just take a look at my sig to see what I've bought since joining Head-Fi. Although not shown, I've also had an 4g iPod 40gb which I lost a month ago. And I'm expecting a Hornet, HR-2, and Arcam CD 73T next week as well as K701.

I don't know whether the nature of the board has changed this past year but I notice more people who joined Head-Fi within the past couple of months posting a lot and don't seem to see the ol' timers posting as much. When I first joined, I recall seeing guys like gpalmer post heavily but not so much anymore. Maybe some of the older members can comment on this.

Jan 6, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
When I first joined, I recall seeing guys like gpalmer post heavily but not so much anymore. Maybe some of the older members can comment on this.

Start a Bose TriPorts thread, that'll smoke him out.

I'm also a Feb. 2005 member and arrived here with an iPod 1st Gen, B&O A8, and Bose TriPorts (which I still have, the shame!).

Jan 6, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 23
Elephas, are you serious? You bought all that gear in your sig after joining Head-Fi? Is your wallet still breathing? I'm definitely gonna make an extreme conscious effort to slow down my spending on gear in 2006. I have two little kids and their future education to think about.
biggrin.gif

As for the Bose, no need to start a riot
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I don't want to be labeled a troll.
tongue.gif
But I do enjoy seeing the banter between the older members and picking up tidbits here and there... as long as things don't degenerate. I also miss Tuberoller's posts. I think he's on a self-imposed exile from writing here. My research into various gear took me to some of his threads and I enjoyed reading his opinions.

Jan 6, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #9 of 23
Actually, this is my 1st anniversary here!
orphsmile.gif

When I arrived, I already had some headphones over the years: HD540, HD580, HD600, K501 and ER4...

After joining Head-fi things got much worse: Grado SR80, Grado SR225, HD595, PX100, Apogee MiniDAC, AirportXpress, ER6i, HE60/HEV70, Maxed-out KGSS DX Edition, iPod Photo 60GB, Shure E4c, UE10-Pro, Balanced Kimber Select KS1130, Balanced Zu Mobius, iPod Nano 4G, PMX100, Earmax Pro Ann. Ed, AT-L3000, AT-L3000G, AT-DHA3000 already ordered on its way, ... And I'm sure I'm missing stuff. I gave to my brother a Grado RS1/RA1 combo as a gift too. I've got many CDs too.

OMG. What have I done!
eek.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
Elephas, are you serious? You bought all that gear in your sig after joining Head-Fi? Is your wallet still breathing? I'm definitely gonna make an extreme conscious effort to slow down my spending on gear in 2006. I have two little kids and their future education to think about.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I didn't know anything about headphones before joining. I'm not very young, either, so that's even more embarassing. The scary thing is 2006 might be even worse, and I can't bear to sell anything.
frown.gif

Hey, I'm not that bad, there's always better/worse/more/less etc. Check out Overlunge's profile; I think he's a 1 year member too.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Yeah, I didn't know anything about headphones before joining. I'm not very young, either, so that's even more embarassing. The scary thing is 2006 might be even worse, and I can't bear to sell anything.
frown.gif

Hey, I'm not that bad, there's always better/worse/more/less etc. Check out Overlunge's profile; I think he's a 1 year member too.
biggrin.gif

Why me? I just have an unhealthy appetite for any Woodies.
tongue.gif

I am blessed in away, because Head-fi became my portal into some wonderful music I never dreamed of listening to, not to say that I really enjoy some of them right now.

2006 is going to be great, just wait till December or November comes around. World dominance of the ATH-Ws
very_evil_smiley.gif

Happy Anniversary, class of Jan 2005... Hope you are all enjoying the stay as much as I am.

Now, Elephas, about that PM... now that you have a pair of W2002, no more excuse for not joining the team
smily_headphones1.gif

Overlunge

Jan 6, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
I am blessed in away, because Head-fi became my portal into some wonderful music I never dreamed of listening to, not to say that I really enjoy some of them right now.

2006 is going to be great

Happy Anniversary, class of Jan 2005... Hope you are all enjoying the stay as much as I am.

You pretty much nailed it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy Anniversary!

johnkerryonthe4th.jpg

Jan 6, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #13 of 23
I think Nomad can be considered the "worst" of class Jan. 2005. Just the L3000G makes anyone a candidate for psychological evaluation.
tongue.gif

I agree about the music; the headphone gear is a means to enjoy music more. I've been enjoying a wider variety of music than before.

--
Overlunge, I'll feel worthy of Team ATOWF when the W5000 arrives.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
OMG. What have I done!
eek.gif

My reaction exactly!
tongue.gif
That's why I'm gonna exercise a little more restraint in the new year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge

Very true. In addition to buying gear, I've bought a lot of CDs, relatively speaking. Prior to Head-Fi, I bought maybe a couple of CDs a year as I was content with listening to FM radio.

I envy all you guys with the woodies and cans the likes of a L3000.

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #15 of 23
Yeah, my purchase of music has increased almost exponentially
eek.gif

Ah, well, all the more to enjoy
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back