Hangin' wit Tyll... impressions of Headroom's World Tour stop in Dallas
May 20, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Your sig goes with that pic so well...
eek.gif

Joe, I was thinking the exact same thing.
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 37
Please post pictures!!!! Begging....
smily_headphones1.gif
Pleading...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #18 of 37
Well, here's my 2 cents worth...

This was a really enjoyable time. I had great fun meeting Tyll and all of the REALLY big head-fi names--Kelly, Flumpus, and Nick. These guys really know about headphones and amps! I ESPECIALLY look forward to the next Dallas meet, where I hope to attend for the first time!

Tyll was VERY gracious and helpful. It's refreshing to know that a corporation prez really cares about the COMMON folk.

I really don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, except...

Boy, that Meridian 580 was one HECK of a CD player--smooth, perfectly balanced, yet revealing.

Regarding the HD600 cable thing, MY take was that the Cardas was the winner, although I can certainly understand others preferring either the Clou or Equinox. All three are definate improvements over the stock cables. To my ears, though, the Cardas really opened up EVERYTHING from top to bottom, and at the same time were smooth and perfectly balanced.

Yes, I have to agree with Kelly that the Orpheus was the outright winner---it had the great dynamics without even a hint of harshness, yet it didn't sound artificial at all. I also loved the EAR HP4 previously mentioned by Flumpus as his favorite.

Finally, after spending five hours (yes, FIVE) listening to all of this stuff, I must say that there was quite a bit of equipment I wouldn't mind having. Being limited to a budget, however, I managed to get out of there having ordered JUST a Maxed Out Home with reference module and stepped attenuators, plus a Cardas replacement cable (well, I actually ordered it today)!!

P.S. I incorrectly told the guys at the meet that my Head-Fi callsign was 2dparrish. Well, it ISN'T, as you can plainly see--it's dparrish. Anyway, I didn't lie on purpose. Now, I've got to work on getting a picture to go with the callsign...

May 22, 2002 at 2:50 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

Etymotic:
If you've never heard Etymotic, you really owe it to yourself to check them out at this opportunity. Not everyone digs that canal thing but even if you don't end up owning a pair (or if you don't really have need for that kind of isolation and portability) trust me when I say this... there are very few people who have ever listened to the Etymotic and weren't completely amazed.

Just curious to hear how Headroom managed to demo Etys in a sanitary fashion. Did they pack tons and tons of foamies and flanges that people would keep? Did they recycle the flanges with disinfectant?

May 22, 2002 at 2:56 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by dlow

Just curious to hear how Headroom managed to demo Etys in a sanitary fashion. Did they pack tons and tons of foamies and flanges that people would keep? Did they recycle the flanges with disinfectant?

They had the different types of plugs available in ziplock bags. After trying them, they were dumped into a bottle of alcohol. Presumably they would eventually be used again but I'm sure they'd be very clean by then.

For what it's worth, I also finally tried the ER-6 and found it to be excellent too. The ER-4 is better but the ER-6 is in no way bad. If you don't haev a need for this type of headphone often or for whatever other reason can only justify $120, I'd say it's an excellent deal.

May 22, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #21 of 37
"They had the different types of plugs available in ziplock bags. After trying them, they were dumped into a bottle of alcohol. Presumably they would eventually be used again but I'm sure they'd be very clean by then."

In that case, I wont be trying he etys at the headroom show
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #22 of 37
Oh don't be babies. You have an immune system for a reason, just wipe it off, and give it a whirl.

If you are very touchy, bring some alcohol soaked porta-wipes, you know, those little napkins in a tiny package that looks like a condom package. Wipe off the plugs before you stick them in your ears. The alcohol will remove any wax and oil, and kill anything living on it. The silicon isn't absorbent either, so they won't 'soak up' other people's ear stuff. You'd be cheating yourself if you don't try the etys at the show.

peace,
phidauex

May 22, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #23 of 37
How germ-free the Ety tips are depends on what type of alcohol is used for cleaning. For instance, Everclear does a pretty thorough job, that's strong stuff. OTOH, if Tyll uses some fruity drink like a margarita, don't expect them to be very clean.
wink.gif

May 23, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #24 of 37
If you're really scared you can always rinse out your ears with alcohol after listening to the etys
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 26, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #25 of 37
First off, thanks to all you guys for your impressions. I can't wait for the truck to arrive in Boston.

And I'll be trying out all flavors of the Etys, wax-covered tips or not! Those ER-6's are just begging for a place in my portable bag.

Headroom rocks!!

May 27, 2002 at 12:10 AM Post #26 of 37
FWIW, They are being stored in a jar of alcohol until we need to clean them. Then I give it a real good shake and drain the alcohol out. The I fill it with fresh alcohol. The I put it into a microwave oven till it boils like crazy. Then I pour it out. Then I do it again. Then I let the things dry off on a paper towel. The I put 'em back in a ziplock for later use. I wouldn't worry 'bout germs.

May 27, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #28 of 37
Okay. Can someone explain why the Tour decided to meander up through Oklahoma and central Kansas instead of zipping up I-35 to the sprawling metropolis of 1.7M headphone-loving souls, Kansas City? Okay, okay, not exactly hi-fi capital of the world, but I'm there. As is I'd have to drive 240 miles. Maybe next year -- except I think I'll be in Russia. ...

Anyway, the show looks neat. Hopefully I'll get to see it some time.

kerelybonto

May 27, 2002 at 2:13 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Okay. Can someone explain why the Tour decided to meander up through Oklahoma and central Kansas instead of zipping up I-35 to the sprawling metropolis of 1.7M headphone-loving souls, Kansas City? Okay, okay, not exactly hi-fi capital of the world, but I'm there. As is I'd have to drive 240 miles. [...]

I second that motion. But I understand. Migratory bird patterns and such....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back