Hands Down... The Best Headphones For FPS Gaming?
Jun 18, 2014 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

invite

New Head-Fier
Sorry if all of you thought I had a product to share, but it's actually going to be a question instead of a hook to introduce an awesome product. 

I play CS:GO, and the sound engine is meh.

I used Siberia V2s for a while and I barely could here any footsteps in the game. Everything was too bassy, it seemed like it muffled all the footsteps..

I recently did some research and I heard AD700x's were great for positional audio, so I picked up a headset version, ATH-ADG1, since it was super cheap ($240).

I also just bought a Creative Sound Blaster Z to pair w/ my ATH-ADG1 and I really like the settings and positional audio I'm getting from playing the game. The mic on the ADG1 was really clear when I used my on-board sound, but when I plugged it in the Sound Blaster Z, the mic quality decreased a lot (not sure why..), which is why I'm looking for a new headset/headphone. The ATH-ADG1 is really uncomfortable for me as well. 

Can anyone recommend some excellent headphones/headsets to play CS:GO with? Closed or Open. I don't have a preference tbh. I just want the best sound setup I could get, hopefully under $300.

I'm really new to the audiophile scene since I've used over hyped gaming hardware all my life until now, so I hope someone could help me out.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 8

Can anyone recommend some excellent headphones/headsets to play CS:GO with? Closed or Open. I don't have a preference tbh. I just want the best sound setup I could get, hopefully under $300.

I'm really new to the audiophile scene since I've used over hyped gaming hardware all my life until now, so I hope someone could help me out.

Thanks in advance!

Try this thread - MLE has heard a lot of headphones particularly targeted at gaming.  He always answers questions - and although he's more console based, I think you'll find the info is exactly what you're after .....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 8

Try this thread - MLE has heard a lot of headphones particularly targeted at gaming.  He always answers questions - and although he's more console based, I think you'll find the info is exactly what you're after .....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits

Thanks for the reply, but I've already looked into that thread already. I wouldn't have made a thread myself if I haven't found a solution.

It also seems like the OP of that thread has a lot of great info for the casual - semi competitive gamer. 

I've googled and searched a lot of threads about this topic, but there honestly isn't any good answers at all. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 8
OK - from my own experience (I'm just a casual FPS gamer) - if you are looking for detail and very good imaging - try the Shure SRH1840.  Bit higher than you want to go - but I have seen them once or twice in the FS section for ~ 300-350.  You'd have to mod-mic them, but might be worth looking at.

For cheaper - I really enjoyed AKG's 612.  It has a little more bass than the 701/702 series - but I personally thought the sound staging was a little more realistic.

I currently use the HD700 and T1 - unfortunately a little out of your price range - but both are very good with imaging.

All of the above I have actually owned and used extensively.

As far as source goes - I'm just using a SB Titanium X-Fi PCIe card - then SPDIF out (optical) to an NFB-12.  That way I get the DSP for gaming, and can turn it off for music.

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 8
  I also just bought a Creative Sound Blaster Z to pair w/ my ATH-ADG1 and I really like the settings and positional audio I'm getting from playing the game. The mic on the ADG1 was really clear when I used my on-board sound, but when I plugged it in the Sound Blaster Z, the mic quality decreased a lot (not sure why..), which is why I'm looking for a new headset/headphone. The ATH-ADG1 is really uncomfortable for me as well. 

When you installed the SB-Z, did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS.
Having both the SB-Z and motherboard's input enabled at the same time might be the issue.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 8
I like the sound of my HE400s w/ Aune T1 - super clear audio and wide soundstage due to them being open backed.  I'm not sure how positional "5.1" and "7.1" audio actually helps with headphones but i get a sense of positioning while playing BF4/Titanfall and have the sound set to "headphones".  I'm guessing theres some binural processing going on.

That and AMD's "TrueAudio" is meant to work with headphones. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 8
  Sorry if all of you thought I had a product to share, but it's actually going to be a question instead of a hook to introduce an awesome product. 

I play CS:GO, and the sound engine is meh.

I used Siberia V2s for a while and I barely could here any footsteps in the game. Everything was too bassy, it seemed like it muffled all the footsteps..

I recently did some research and I heard AD700x's were great for positional audio, so I picked up a headset version, ATH-ADG1, since it was super cheap ($240).

Thanks in advance!

AKG Q701 are excellent gaming headphones and can be had for around $150-200.  You will likely need to pick up an amp to go with them.  I have a Matrix M-Stage amp which is an excellent pairing with them...that goes for around $200 used I believe.  If you want a tube amp, the Schiit Vali ($120) or Little Dot 1+ ($140) are supposed to be good pairings too (I haven't heard these personally but you can read about them and ask over in the Q701 thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back