hand washing
Jun 17, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #16 of 84
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Also, I wash my hands before using electronics stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd say that's where I'm most obsessed with washing my hands. Before touching my electronics. I figure if you get oil on them, you won't be getting it off anytime soon. I absolutely freak out when people go grabbing their remotes and stuff after eating pizza.

Jun 17, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #17 of 84
There was actually a study done on hand washing behavior (males using a urinal). If other people were in the public washroom, 90% washed their hands. If they were alone in the washroom, the figure dropped to 30%. Tremendous social forces involved here.

Now, how many people who voted actually lied?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 17, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #18 of 84
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1

I'd say that's where I'm most obsessed with washing my hands. Before touching my electronics. I figure if you get oil on them, you won't be getting it off anytime soon. I absolutely freak out when people go grabbing their remotes and stuff after eating pizza.

I AM NOT ALONE!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #19 of 84
Quote:

I always wash not only to get rid of my germs, but because when I grab the lever to flush the toilet, the previous users germs will be on there.

That's why I use my foot
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #22 of 84
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
You guys are even worse! The bottom of your shoes is hell of a lot more germ infested than some dude that took a leak that didnt wash his hands.

Especially after you've walked through a public bathroom.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 17, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #23 of 84
meh, I only use my foot for opening doors. And I only touch the bottom of the door with my shoe. I don't kick it in.
smily_headphones1.gif

To flush, I use toilet paper.

GOOD LORD! Why am I posting this?
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #25 of 84
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Shouldn't this thread be moved to the obsessive-compulsive forum?
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Five amps, five headphones, 1000 tubes. I'd say this is the OCD forum.

Jun 17, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #26 of 84
i try not to use public washrooms, as in Canada they arent as clean as in the US. Seriously, everywhere i go in the US they have those paper toilet seat cover things so your @ss never comes in contact with the actual toilet seat. AWESOME! lol...but in Canada almost everywhere you go you will NOT find these....

I tend to wash my hands a lot...always like the clean smell of soap....plus i wash my face like 6 times a day....i dunno...it always feels dirty after i take a walk outside....

Jun 17, 2002 at 11:01 AM Post #27 of 84
What about the faucet handles? To you clad yourselves in paper towels to operate them too?

Well, far more often than not, I do wash my hands but with the knowledge that this is mostly a ritual without any serious prophylactic purpose. Expected behavior, and I myself expect it of me.

The chances of catching a disease from door handles and such don't much impress me. No.2 certainly has a lot more potential than No.1 for that, of course. No.1 in a healthy person is all but sterile. It stinks later on after your skin and other bacteria get to it. The exterior male urinary instrument has--barring the odd suppurating sore from STD's--nothing very alarming on it. It's far less likely to harbor disease agents than the mouth.

Your best chance of catching something from a stranger is probably touching something immediately after someone who has just wiped his eye or nose has touched it--a door handle, an escalator rail, a strap on a bus, a pen, etc. Hard to avoid. Handshakes and kisses, especially with children, are the worst.

As for toilet rituals, let's think them through seriously as if we are checking the sterile conditions in an operating room. Think about what you do, you trusters in paper towels.

If you use a stall, you should really unzip and dangle your way inside, shouldn't you? Why? Well, once you touch that--ew--door handle slathered with filth, what do you do next? Why you touch--think of it!--your zipper or buttons, maybe your belt buckle.

If you forgot to get a paper towel (if your restroom offers them) to use on the latch as you enter, you should clearly unzip before touching the latch. Otherwise, you will have innoculated your own clothing with filth as you undo your clothing in privacy. Hope you don't later touch any of those hot spots on your clothing and remember to sterilize your closures before undressing for bed.

Of course, to make the antisepsis complete, you must also emerge from the stall unzipped, with some fresh toilet paper in hand perhaps, before unlatching. Still dangling, you should make your way over to the sinks, turn on the faucets, wash all that stuff off, and turn the fuacet off with the paper towel. Only then are you free to zip up and rebuckle without the risk of smearing god-knows-what all over your clothing and whatever else you handled.

Naturally, all your own god-knows-what is all over your clothing if you don't follow a similar early unzipping and late zipping up policy at home.

Really, if contagion by casual contact were very common, the race would never have lasted this long.

Jun 17, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #29 of 84
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

Especially after you've walked through a public bathroom.
evil_smiley.gif

My experience in the UK with 'restrooms' in bars is ....
more like waded through.

Setmenu

Jun 17, 2002 at 4:11 PM Post #30 of 84
I thought this thread was about hand washing clothes, something which eats up several hours of my time every week. Not fun. As for the rest, what Wes said....every word of it.
As for UK bathrooms, I have been to several, and don't really remember anything that horrible, but a certain scene from trainspotting certainly remains vivid in my mind...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back