Hand built custom headphones
Sep 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #61 of 93
Quote:
i assume i need a speeker in one of the cups to do the tests. should i get a realy nice speaker to do that, or can i use my greeting card speakers?

use the sparker you plan on putting in your final product.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #65 of 93
Quote:
i assume i need a speeker in one of the cups to do the tests. should i get a realy nice speaker to do that, or can i use my greeting card speakers?

Think before you post buddy, how exactly do you test the performance of a headphone without a speaker? If you change the speaker after that then you must measure it again. This is not obvious?

If you think I'm being harsh, be glad I haven't bothered to list out your spelling mistakes which frankly make it particularly difficult to read your posts.

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #66 of 93
Quote:

Is OP me? battery life isn't supper important, i just want to get threw the day of listing with an ipod with out the battery dying.
any speaker to test. i do want it to still sound good (not amazing, jut good). the headphones can easily be redisigned.

OP = original poster (ie the person that made post #1, the first post)

Any old speaker to test is a waste of time, make it a speaker that you think might meet your general design specification and goals.

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #67 of 93
Quote:
how do i mesure that?
and this?

The measurements you take are relative to your budget. Ideally, if you're developing an audio product you would use an AudioPrecision meter, dscope or ADC/DAC plus mic combo of your choice that are able to meet the performance requirements (ie the measurement equipment will not distort more than the product that you are testing). To determine the in-situ electrical parameters of the headphone+speaker you will need to have the above and maybe an oscilloscope and multimeter as well ... 

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #68 of 93
Quote:

Think before you post buddy, how exactly do you test the performance of a headphone without a speaker? If you change the speaker after that then you must measure it again. This is not obvious?

If you think I'm being harsh, be glad I haven't bothered to list out your spelling mistakes which frankly make it particularly difficult to read your posts.

LOL! ya that was a stupid thing to ask. i guess what i meant to say is if i put in some good speakers, won't i have to remove them again to get them to get the frequency response and distortion values right? you guys said the speakers need to be tuned to the headphones, how? sorry about the spelling spell check can't always figure out what I'm trying to say.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #70 of 93
LOL! ya that was a stupid thing to ask. i guess what i meant to say is if i put in some good speakers, won't i have to remove them again to get them to get the frequency response and distortion values right? you guys said the speakers need to be tuned to the headphones, how? sorry about the spelling spell check can't always figure out what I'm trying to say.

Yes, you will likely have to change the enclosure so yeah ....

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #73 of 93
Quote:
measurement mics is just a general term for mics used to do measurements.
weather it is condenser or dynamic has no significance.

true that, probably what he'll want is a capsule mic, the most important fact above a certain level of quality is that it is calibrated and by that I mean calibrated in open space WITH the preamp it will be used with. this is the only way you will know that its telling you the truth, the calibration will take into account any peaks and dips in the response.
Quote:
are they kind of like a condenser mic, just more expensive?

check out the setup at the innerfidelity link, you would be doing measurements in at least 2 formats, one of the driver in free air and one in the headphone, this way you can separate the effects of the headphone cup/enclosure. you will also be wanting to insert this mic in the ear of a dummy head with the headphones placed on the head, this way you get the measured response including the effects of the ear cavity (within limits) at the minimum it would be placed in the headphone
Quote:
i have access to a large number of programs and some nice mics because i'm taking audio vidio class and the teacher runs a radio station, has nice equipment, and likes my headphone idea.

thanks! it really can get annoying being told you can't do somthing, especially after you've herd it for 11 years and your 15.

man, syriuzly, no offense, but maybe you need to spend a little more time in the English classes, I mean I know this is a forum, but the posts are sometimes hard going… 

having software capability to produce education level video and audio is a good start and he will have some of the skillset, but unlikely all, this is a pretty specialized field and requires specialized hardware and technical knowledge in several areas. That being said, its definitely going to give you a leg up and having a teacher that is enthusiastic about something you want to do is great. lets hope he backs that up, he will probably have to broaden his knowledge in order to back you up.

We like your idea too and we'll help where we can, but you needed to be pulled up a second, as you had clearly underestimated what was required. Enthusiasm, support and basic technology are only part of the puzzle, you have a LOT of hard work and research ahead of you before you can even begin.

he may, or may not have the equipment needed, you will probably use something akin to ARTA software and you will need a decent ADC and a mic preamp with phantom power, then you will need some instrumentation, this is unlikely to be on hand at least in the arts labs; you may need some cooperation with other departments. a logging oscilloscope, decent bench multimeter and some sort of distortion analyzer.
Quote:
Subscribed.  

Don't listen to the doubters on this thread.  They've probably never even made their own coffee.

Only a genius can do what you do with paper-mache and talking greeting cards.

haha you can tell all this over the interwebz can you? thats quite a talent youve got there… funnily enough I worked as a chef for nearly 7yrs on and off and making my own espresso is a ritual carried out here a bit too often. I took a digital media degree (until I got bored, I was already working as a compositor and graphic designer for print media) received a scholarship to Silicon Studio and QANTM for digital animation and film/games production (its all bloody games now and honestly, I dont like them), supported a hobby doing electronic music programming/production.

Then about 4-5 years ago after buying some UE triple-fi 10, SE530 and then a pico, to get me through the early morning public transport to get to work without unloading a magazine on someone. I started making my own cables, which became my work, then dac and amps. fast forward till now and everything in my portable and home headphone and speaker systems is DIY... so what have you DIY'd lately?

I wouldnt attempt to make my own headphones from scratch though... thats beyond my skill level to do to a level i'd be happy with…
Quote:
For any headphone measurements, you need an good measurement microphone, DAC, ADC and software.
All of which are quite expensive, and I'd assume you're not likely to have access to, given a high school student.

Quote:
how do i mesure that?
and this?
Is OP me? battery life isn't supper important, i just want to get threw the day of listing with an ipod with out the battery dying.
any speaker to test. i do want it to still sound good (not amazing, jut good). the headphones can easily be redisigned.
sorry i got mad, that was real stupid of me
frown.gif
, i need all your guys help.

yeah, you do =) no worries, if youre going to do it, do it well, we dont need another incontinent fart cannon =) in this crowded market
Quote:

ya, test with the camel drovers…
blink.gif

Quote:
use the sparker you plan on putting in your final product.

stay away from flammable gasses when sparker is under test
Quote:

wink_face.gif

Quote:

The measurements you take are relative to your budget. Ideally, if you're developing an audio product you would use an AudioPrecision meter, dscope or ADC/DAC plus mic combo of your choice that are able to meet the performance requirements (ie the measurement equipment will not distort more than the product that you are testing). To determine the in-situ electrical parameters of the headphone+speaker you will need to have the above and maybe an oscilloscope and multimeter as well ... 

now youre just being silly =D while qusp is away or playing nice, I have the surrogate
ph34r.gif

do remember we are talking about measuring headphones here, a decent ADC with good mic pres should be capable of outdoing them, we arent measuring one of Owen's headphone amps

bob, just saw your posts, started this reply last night, so spell-check strikes again; posting on a phone? phone auto'correct' features are responsible for making many people look like retards these days

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #75 of 93
Quote:
LOL What?
(joke on my plasma headphones? 
biggrin.gif
)

nah, not consciously anyway =) but sure i'll run with that, if the all stinking, all zapping death helmet, erm I mean time machine, no headphone fits; wear it
wink_face.gif
nah in all 'seriousness' I was just being a mong, you spelled speaker as sparker (see in the quote) and Bob had just called them speekers, so I was entering the fray with a bit of my own brand of nonsense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back