Hand built custom headphones
Aug 21, 2012 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 93

builder bob

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm new to this forum and i don't know if this is the right place for this but, I'm a teen who makes my own headphones and at my school i have had so many people ask for me to make them a pair i decided to try and start a company and sell them. I got the idea from the Monster Beats Headphones by Dr. Dre. I tried a pair of their noise cancling headphones because they seemed very popular. I am very glad that i never bought a pair. The base was horrid and they were heavy, not what I expected for a $500 pair of headphones. They didn't even come close to the sound that i can easily get out of my cheap headphones. The kid that was letting me use his Beats agreed that they didn't have good sound quality. This made me think that the real reason why so many people at my school had these headphones was only because they wanted to make a point that they had a bunch of money they were fine with wasting. $450 Just for style. I decided to make my own pair of headphones that looked cool and also actually sounded good. I was able to make an ok pair for exactly $0. They didn't sound to good and weren't quite tight enough to stay on my head, but i can't complain because they were free to maker and i have been offered a total of around $600 from diffrent people. I now know how to make the headphones so that they are stronger, look better, stay on my head, and sound better. The only problem is that if I make a buisnes from selling custom headphones i want to keap the price as low as i can with out having them factory built in china is to find a supplier of the speakers and cord. Any help would be much apriciated. Soon i should be able to open the site i have been working on so that i can easily show more people my ideas and so that if i post a powl on my headphones it will make sense.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 93
y dun u post some fotos of your work...would be interesting :p

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 93
rite now the speakers are from the talkin greting cards that u cn get, pads are made from electrical tape n stuffing
rolleyes.gif
(will be replacin em soon), n the cords frm a pair of broken earbuds.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 93
u spraypainted that pair..?? looks koool

yes i will need u to take good fotos of wats left of  the talking cards...
 the tapes, n turkey stuffings...
and a written testimony of its sonic quality..
 test performance/ err graphs i  think they are called.

wat else would propel u to greater heights...hmmm..
maybe we can send u the next talkingcard we received. :p

well done man....u will be the next beatskiller.
beerchug.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 93
there is no spray paint, i'll save that and my collection of stencils for the box. i threw out everything but the speakers from da cards. all there was was a circuit board n a couple buton batteries. the headphones right now r made from carved foam insulation that is covered in paper mache. i will make another foam pair soon that fits better but will not cover it in anything or put padin on it. i will use this pair as the plug for molds that i can use to make the headphones out of fiberglass, carbon fiber, or paper and epoxy which is suprisingly strong and requires no painting. the sound right now is junk (sorta like listnin to music with one bad earbud on full volume a couple feat from ur hed) and the speakers drain my ipod battery fast because i hav to set the volume so high. i don't no what the specifications for speakers that are used in headphones is. i have found a site dat sells replacement speakers for their headphones but they cost $40 a pair, good if i'm making headphones for myself but not good for puttin in a product.

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 93
Interesting, mind sharing how you made them?
Like materials, machines used, drivers?

If you posted it in one of those walls of text up there, I'm sorry. 
It's just too long to read... (maybe chop it up into paragraphs?)

I making my own Custom IEMs right now.
Also experimenting on a un-conventional transducer. 
(See sig.)

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 93
Quote:
Interesting, mind sharing how you made them?
Like materials, machines used, drivers?

If you posted it in one of those walls of text up there, I'm sorry. 
It's just too long to read... (maybe chop it up into paragraphs?)

I making my own Custom IEMs right now.
Also experimenting on a un-conventional transducer. 
(See sig.)

i did explain it already but i'll break it up:

CONSTRUCTION
i carved the headphones from blue insulation foam and tested that they fit on my head. next i covered the in paper mache.

SOUND SYSTEM
Speakers: slightly diffrent speakers from talking greating cards.
Cord: removed it from some broken earbuds.

thesed don't fit well anymore after i changed the headband a little. i will soon make an all foam pair that fits better wich i will then use as the plug for the molds that i will use. i can lay fiberglass, carbon fiber, or paper and epoxy in the molds.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 93
the sight is www.retroglade.WebStarts.com
tell me any glitches it has and i will fix it. soon i should be able to start this project on Kickstarter so that i can get funding. if anyone knows of how i can get the sound system for my headphones please tell me.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 93
Quote:
the sight is www.retroglade.WebStarts.com
tell me any glitches it has and i will fix it. soon i should be able to start this project on Kickstarter so that i can get funding. if anyone knows of how i can get the sound system for my headphones please tell me.

all the elements on the site are overlapping....

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #14 of 93
I can tell you that audio-technica's higher end models use 53mm drivers that are interchangable, thanks to the driver housing.
I contacted audio-technica S.E.A to buy a pair of their W5000 drivers and I still did not get a reply, I think you might have to try to contact audio-technica japan to get their drivers, I'm still trying to find their email address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back