Hand built custom headphones
Sep 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #46 of 93
Quote:
Those specs are unimportant. What's important is the driver's frequency response and distortion values. You'll probably have to measure those yourself.

how do i mesure that?
Quote:
This. and transient (impulse) response.

and this?
Quote:
The OP has asked how to work out a headphones power requirements because of concern about battery life, how exactly do you think freq response and distortion relate to battery life?!

Is OP me? battery life isn't supper important, i just want to get threw the day of listing with an ipod with out the battery dying.
Quote:
I know this. The OP clearly didn't and was willing to select any speaker as long as he could fit it in his headphone design. 

any speaker to test. i do want it to still sound good (not amazing, jut good). the headphones can easily be redisigned.
Quote:
yes and my point was that the response in the headphone not relate terribly well to the published spec in isolation, the spec outlined in the datasheet will match when the testing conditions are replicated, to within specified tolerances, IF theyve done their job properly. its a specification to base your modelling on, not something that is likely to be replicated in the headphone without serious testing. the effect of the headphone on battery life is not to be discounted either. if you build with 32ohm highly efficient and often quite boring drivers sure they are efficient, however even the efficiency in the cup cannot be taken for granted to be the same as in isolation, especially if its a closed back design

crap headphones can easily be made out of great drivers, just like with speakers. not as much so since theres no crossover in most cases, just ask the thunderpants crew, which btw is a perfect example of a headphone that will have profound effect on the battery life of the player its used with.

sorry i got mad, that was real stupid of me
frown.gif
, i need all your guys help.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #49 of 93
what are the tools that i need to meseur all of the of the specifications required for good speakers tuned to my headphones? what i want to know is how can i make a specification sheet that i can send a manufacturer to make me some speakers. i am willing to add a mini amp if i have to but i would prefer not to becuase each extra peice jacks up the price.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #51 of 93
Quote:
how do i mesure that?

and this?

For any headphone measurements, you need an good measurement microphone, DAC, ADC and software.
All of which are quite expensive, and I'd assume you're not likely to have access to, given a high school student.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #52 of 93
Subscribed.  

Don't listen to the doubters on this thread.  They've probably never even made their own coffee.

Only a genius can do what you do with paper-mache and talking greeting cards.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #53 of 93
Quote:
For any headphone measurements, you need an good measurement microphone, DAC, ADC and software.
All of which are quite expensive, and I'd assume you're not likely to have access to, given a high school student.

i have access to a large number of programs and some nice mics because i'm taking audio vidio class and the teacher runs a radio station, has nice equipment, and likes my headphone idea.
Quote:
Subscribed.  

Don't listen to the doubters on this thread.  They've probably never even made their own coffee.

Only a genius can do what you do with paper-mache and talking greeting cards.

thanks! it really can get annoying being told you can't do somthing, especially after you've herd it for 11 years and your 15.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #54 of 93
i have access to a large number of programs and some nice mics because i'm taking audio vidio class and the teacher runs a radio station, has nice equipment, and likes my headphone idea.

Haha, you're a lot like me!
I'm a high school final year student and also audio operator / pre-engineerer in the performing arts center.

You could look at how other people do this (i.e. inner fidelity) then ask if they have a measurement microphone (or 2).
after that, look for an audio interface.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #56 of 93
Quote:
ok my teacher about it tomorrow.are measurement microphones just supper nice mics? I've never heard of one.

yes, they have a very flat FR.
Super expensive too. (usually in the magnitude of $10^3)

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #58 of 93
Quote:
are they kind of like a condenser mic, just more expensive?

measurement mics is just a general term for mics used to do measurements.
weather it is condenser or dynamic has no significance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back