Hamilton Meet, November 12th, 2005.
Nov 18, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #62 of 65
I'm going to post my impressions in a little bit... but I'd like to make a suggestion for the next Hamilton/Toronto/Southwestern Ontario meet. We should set up a quiet room or have regulated listening periods each hour during the middle of the meet. This would allow everybody to prepare their connections/configurations, listening material, etc. and sit at appropriate distances (especially those with open headphones) from each other.

I don't think I listened to any setups for more than 3 or 4 minutes at a time during the whole meet, from 1:30 pm to 4:00 am.

Thanks again to Philodox and also to Rhydon for sharing his bounty of HP-2 goodness. I've been listening to them in the evening for entire week... this could be the last headphone for me. The only thing I might change is swapping the bowl pads for flats.

Yay! I'm off the Head-Fi upgrade treadmill. See you in the Music forums
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #63 of 65
Hmmm...guess I should stop hogging the quiet room like that. I perfected the art of crowd avoidance, and most times I was able to get a good 10-30 minutes of listening in at a time while people were in the other room. When they were in the small room I was in the big room, and vice-versa, it was prett productive for me.

Nov 18, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #64 of 65
same here, there were a couple setups that I listened to for a good 10-15 minutes. Couldve had a bit more quiet I suppose, but with most of the music I listen to it doesnt really matter how loud people are, open or closed.

Nov 22, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #65 of 65
Greyhorse – Sony CD-3000 & Veda Audio Dynahi
These were a big surprise for me. I thought they were going to be bright and brittle sounding, but they were in fact very warm and engaging. It’s possible that I had confused the R10’s sonic reputation with these. These cans are huge; I think they were almost as big as Philodox’s head by themselves! They sounded a bit slower and warmer than the Grados, but I think almost everything does. I hope you enjoyed the Holly Cole disc, Jeff.

Looser – Grado HF-1 & Sol Headphone Amplifier
This is a great combo, Renato. I can imagine sitting back and listening to this for hours in comfortable bliss. The HF-1 has a very warm, organic and lively sound. I liked the highs in this Grado – they weren’t harsh or peaky at all, in fact, they were very mellow and distinct. The bass was fairly diffuse, but I’m sure that will improve with time.

Philodox – Headphile-modded AKG K340
These were much better than the last pair that I tried. Their sound was much fuller and the bass was hard-hitting. Me likey. Lucky Phil. I only wish I had spent some more time with these, but I know that Jason had just gotten them back from Larry’s workbench… wouldn’t want to get between a man and his newborn.

Rhydon – Joe Grado HP-2 & Singlepower PPX3 SLAM
I’ll post my impressions of the HP-2’s in a separate review… the amp sounded great with everything from the K340’s to the HP-2’s. It had a very liquid sound throughout, with a refined treble range and deep bass. Rhydon probably had to spend some time cleaning the fingerprints off that lovely piano-black finish after the meet. Also, we enjoyed the bonus blue-light show in the dark.

Jjcha – Sony SA-5000
I wish I could have heard these. From the descriptions, they wouldn’t have been to my taste, but they are a trip to just look at, and I’m an open-minded Head-Fier. Qualias for normal folks, right?

Asmo – Channel Islands VDA-1 & VAC-1
I wish I had time to hook this up to my portable… it would have helped to answer my questions regarding a DAC’s ability to improve any source. As it was, it sounded great hooked up to Renato’s source.

KW Boys – Various Sennheisers
Ditto above, I like Sennheisers and was most interested in hearing the HD-595. It was as great as I expected… very dynamic and punchy, upfront and versatile. This is a great departure from the standard Sennheiser house sound, definitely the Senns I would get if I didn’t want the HD-580/600 series.

Skipinder – Pocket Amp 2 v2
I really would have loved to hear this amp… it’s high on my list of portable amps to hear, along with the Headsave Go-Vibe MK III.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back