Originally Posted by RedLeader
after hearing that ppx3 at the meet, this is mighty tempting

that will probably sound very different than the SLAM PPX3 you heard

still a good deal though
icon10.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #47 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
I've found black elastics to be best. It gives darker space between notes and a quieter background. Also, they should be replaced every couple months or else the sound starts getting a bit loose.

LOL, the red ones sure do look purdy though.
tongue.gif

I am being completely serious about the change in sound, the better seal has translated into significantly more bass. I am going to tweak them a bit more tonight as my Wife is at a show.
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon
HiWire's headsave w/ sony portable CDP: To me this was the most interesting of all the equipment at the meet. It had the most unique sound. The low-budget sony CDP seemed to have a sound signature, that when fed thru the Headsave, made the HP-2's sound ways i never thought possible.

I agree, there was some great synergy here. Strange for the price of the source and amp... quite the happy surprise for Mark I would imagine. It almost made me like Elvis.
evil_smiley.gif
Quote:

"when you fit these, its like making love for the first time..." LMAO! im sorry, that was genius. It was a rather 'personal' experience inserting the E4's, becoming "one" with them if you will. Anyway, after they were shoved halfway down my canal, i experienced a sound so personal, so emotional, so involving, i couldn't speak. I LOVED the E4!

hehe... I had forgotten about that. It is so true though.
tongue.gif
Quote:

Jason's Keyboard: Ok, i know its not head-fi equipment, but i think it should be mentioned. I mean, this poor guy, forced by the wife to match his computer system to the room decor, left with some keyboard that frankly, well, should not be used as anything with practical use. LOL, i mean this one we really gave it to Jason for, the guy types 7.89 posts a day, on something that requires you to 'reprogram' when the "o" letter key is somehow confused internally with the zero number key. We couldn't stand the sight of such sacrifice to aesthetics, Renato pleaded Jason to accept his 20$ and buy himself something more along the lines of a keyboard.... LOL it was gold. Jason, man that was the funniest thing ive ever seen.

Sheesh... I'll have to make sure I put out the black Dell keyboard for the next meet. Though, my Wife and I are starting to get irritated by the weird **** that cheap keyboard is doing too.

Also, most of my 7.89 posts a day are done from work... on my Compaq keyboard.
redface.gif
Quote:

After the keyboard dispute, and a couple of drinks, we then proceeded to order some sort of pizza-like solution. This took about 2 hours. Leaving someone who had 5 shots of crown-royal to select pizza toppings isn't exactly the best idea. In the end, none of us could decide on the toppings, i believe there was some debate over "original pepperoni", "NY pepperoni" and "original green olives"..... It was touch and go for a minute there.

I can't believe you guys let me order the pizza. For what it is worth I don't remember picking those toppings and I must have passed out momentarily shortly after doing so as when I came into the kitchen and the pizza had arrived I was genuinely surprised. Renato got a kick out of the 'magic pizza' though, so it is all good. I had some cold pizza for breakfast... the one with the NY Pepperoni. Now that was a good pizza. I left the other pizza for my Wife... and correct me if I'm wrong, but was there NO TOMATO SAUCE!?!? I don't know what I was thinking there.
confused.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf
You might laugh, but I actually found your HD201s REALLY impressive. They even blew my PX100s out of the proverbial water! (for me, anyway)

Not at all, I agree for their price.
wink.gif

I was also quite surprised by your KSC75's. I am not a big fan of clip ons, but damn those sound good for what they cost!

RedLeader, dmb367 - Yeah, I doubt that would sound all that much like Rhydons as his had many upgrades and different output tubes [SLAM]. That Maestro for sale had me sweating though... I almost pulled the trigger, but then I thought it over and I really do want to build my own amp.

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #48 of 65
Andre [BigBadWolf] sent along some more pics... I've omitted the ones that are very similar to other shots we already have up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feens and Skipinder busy listening...
1%20-%20feens%20and%20skipinder.JPG

It looks like I am trying to describe The Fuzz to Skipinder here, but I'm not quite sure. RedLeader is apparently possesed at the moment.
biggrin.gif

2%20-%20dining%20room.JPG

"Wow, these K340's sure need a lot of gain... better turn it up."
3%20-%20xand1x%20-%20k340.JPG

Looks like they caught me with my mouth closed for once... omendelovitz seems to be staring at the HP-2's and wondering what they would cost him. Rhydon is practicing his 'old lady' chord. [Friends joke]
4%20-%20the%20sauna.JPG

"Oh, only $50, let me see if I can find my wallet."
5%20-%20where%20is%20my%20wallet.JPG

Nov 15, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #49 of 65
Well, I figure it's time I post my thoughts on the meet.

A huge thanks to Jason again. I have really enjoyed both meets.

This time around I had a better idea for what to expect and had a better game plan than last meet. I made saure I brought my own music, with many different styles. Having confirmed that I am pleased with my current setup at last meet, I went to this meet looking to just branch out and try some new things.

I had a few notable impressions:

1) The Slam PPX3 - very, very nice sounding amp. Warm, but not too warm. Every set of cans I listend on this sounded quite well, including my own 595's.
This was the biggest highlight of the meet this time around for me.

2) Jason's new K340's - the K340's were somewhat of a letdown to me at the last meet, but it was different this time around. Instead of seeming cold and unlively, they seemed very detailed, very smooth with great imaging and presence. Though I did still find them lacking with the low end, that was the only fault I could find. They certainly need tonnes of power to drive them, the PPX could just barely do it.

3) SA5000 - These were definitely my biggest disappointment. They seemed very cold on every setup I tried, even the tube amps. No bass response at all, and very bright. I couldn't find a music style I liked with them either.

4) HF-1 - An interesting set of cans. Very lively, as I expected. A little bright for my tastes on the setup I was using, but I did enjoy them.

5) MS-1 - If I decided to buy a second set of cans, these would be the ones. Lively like a Grado, but not overly bright. A nice set of cans for the cost.

I did try a few other amp setups and such. but I still don't have the ears to tell all of the little differences, so it's kind of pointless going into that.

Thanks to all who came for making this another enjoyable venture.

Nov 15, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #50 of 65
I usually change the date on my camera whenever I change batteries, but this time I forgot!!! It keeps resetting itself...

Yes, agreed that the KSC75s are big-sounding. I am still impressed with them even after having them for nearly a week. They're just plain fun!

TigerDirect has the HD201 for sale so I'm going to be looking to purchase them sometime soon. Just love that sound!

Thanks again!

Nov 15, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #52 of 65
Jeff [greyhorse] RE: His CSE PH-44 power tap with K-6 power cord and my OneAC CP1105 Power Conditioner
"Wait, that thing has a transformer... it is way better than mine then!"

More funny when you realise that his cost him $500 and mine cost me $20.

Rhydon [Rhydon] RE: My OneAC CP1105 Power Conditioner
"Yeah, he stole that from a hospital. Some old lady is dieing because of him."

I almost died myself when he said this, too funny.
tongue.gif

Eaphan [aerius]
RE: My K340's shocking him...
"No, it really does hurt... bad!"

LOL, I warned you about the love nips man.
blink.gif

Strange that no-one else got hit by them... I'm starting to wonder if my powerconditioner is the cause, or maybe the dynalo and not the headphones themselves. I think I will just get a humidifier for the office to cut down on the static... as a precautionary measure.
icon10.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #53 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
meet5.jpg

That ipod in the center soooo matches the HF-1!

Nov 15, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
That ipod in the center soooo matches the HF-1!

I know
wink.gif
if only i owned an hf-1 to compliment it though...one day

Nov 16, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #56 of 65
That was another awesome meet, next time, I'll have to plan more time to stay late and party it up, or host a meet in waterloo area, and we can all go clubbing
580smile.gif

Impressions: I am still a hardcore Sennheiser fan, I went to the meet with intention to really hear all these grado headphones, but not even the HP-2s really made me happy, but I did prefer the HP-2 to the 340, which I even prefered my 580s over.

The HF-1s were great, very fun, awesome bass and details, but still, too bright for my liking. My impressions were the same for most of the other grado line up, the ms-1s are awesome tho, very fun, and at a good price.

I loved the PPX Slam however, how it sounded with my Senn 580s was very nice.

I was hoping in the last two meets someone would bring the 650s, but it looks like I might just have to buy them myself without hearing them first, I've been looking for a headphone upgrade for awhile now, but it won't be a grado
580smile.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Eaphan [aerius] RE: My K340's shocking him...
"No, it really does hurt... bad!"

LOL, I warned you about the love nips man.
blink.gif

As part of my job training I've been pepper sprayed and zapped with a Tazer. I swear to god it felt like I'd been Tazer'd in the ears by his K340, it was not a fun feeling.

Moving on to the PPX3 Slam. It sounded remarkably like my own amp, then again they both use 6SN7 tubes so it's not too surprising. With my K340, the PPX has a bit more treble while my tube amp has a bit more bass, otherwise I have a pretty hard time telling them apart. I'd say that if we played musical tubes with them for a bit I honestly wouldn't know which is which anymore.

Nov 17, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #58 of 65
I finally got time to get to a computer so I figured I should post something.

First, a big thanks to philodox for his hospitality. Jason went out of his way to make sure I got to hear my share of headphones, and I really enjoyed the experience. I might have been a little spooked out during dinner, but really, I had fun.

Thanks also to everyone else at the meet. It's the first time I felt so comfortable visiting a stranger's house, and it's gotta be because of the great people there.

Impressions:

Jason's K340s - This changes everything for me. It's the first time I've heard a headphone where I could apply the term transparency. With my old pair of CD3000s, I'd always assumed they were about as neutral and transparent as hi-fi got. I mean there's not a whole lot in the signal path, so they must[i/] be transparent right? I now realize that this wasn't the case at all. Jason's modded K340s gave me a breathtaking view of what was going on in the music, and presented that information with a very similar frequency response balance to what I'm used to hearing only with speakers. I'm awed/humbled/depressed.

Rydon's HP1000s - I'm sorry I couldn't like them more Rydon, but I think this has to do with my ears getting used to listening to speakers. I can't even listen to my own CD3000s anymore, so it's not the headphones that are at fault. I found the HP1000s offered a very detailed but extremely forward presentation that annoyed me enough that I really couldn't relax and listen to the music. Unforunately I only listened to them using the SHA, but maybe with the PPX I could have liked them more. Impressive headphones simply for the amount of details they seem to resolve though.

HF-1s - Wow, what a fun sounding headphone! This is the headphone I enjoyed most I think. Very smooth without smothering detail, and better balanced than the RS-150s I have. I think I might end up getting one of these some day.

...darn, I only have 2 min remaining on this library account...

Nov 17, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
As part of my job training I've been pepper sprayed and zapped with a Tazer. I swear to god it felt like I'd been Tazer'd in the ears by his K340, it was not a fun feeling.

Oh man, I am really sorry. Must be that your ears stick out a bit more... with me it has always been just a light little 'love nip'. I suppose it might have had something to do with the different setup... what amp were you listening on?

Jeff - I'm glad you had fun man, it was a pleasure meeting you. Did you get a chance to hear the K340's on the PPX Slam or the HF-1's on the Dynalo? Those were my two favourite sounds of the meet.
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #60 of 65
Forgot to mention this earlier:

Rhydon, you left that disc in my computer... you know, the one with the infamous 'track 6' that you kept thinking was 'track 7'? I think I had meant to make a copy of it before I started hitting the Whiskey. Who is it anyways? It is very familiar...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back