Hamilton Meet: Location Poll
Jun 23, 2006 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Guys,

I need help picking our location. Please only vote if you are attending the Hamilton Head-Fi Meet.

Thanks,

Jason
340smile.gif

The Undermount Bar and Grill

The pictures shown on the website are the bar area. The area that we would be using is seperate, enclosed, but with access to the bar area and patio through two doors. It was supposed to be used as a ventilated smoking area before they changed the laws so that you can't smoke anywhere and it was never used in that capacity. You can see into the bar area through a windowed wall as well as out on to the patio. The section we will be in is to the left of the 'specials board' in the bottom right picture to give you a better idea...

Pros

- Food and drinks can be purchased. [good pub fare, decent selection of beer]
- Comfortable. Air Conditioning. Washrooms. Easy access to outside.
- I know the owner. It will be free. We can rearrange the room as we'd like.
- We can have dinner there once we are done.

Cons

- It's a bar. If we run late there will be drunk old men that might get curious. On the upside I know most of them. In fact, I am in one of those pictures on the site I just realized. I doubt anyone will be able to pick me out though.
- Music. Though hopefully we can get them to turn it off in the room we are in.
- Outlets not installed yet, though they may be in time for the meet. JD is fine with us dropping down extension cords to power strips from the ceiling though.

The Party Room

In my building on the main floor.

Pros

- Cheap, only $42 bucks.
- Fridge.
- Lots of tables.

Cons

- Only 3 outlets.
- No air conditioning!
- Washroom needs a key.
- Will be tricky coming and going. [you will need my keys]
- No air conditioning!

My Condo

I'm sure if you do a search you can find pictures of it. I will add two options for the Condo, one with cats restricted to the bedroom and one where they roam free [I'll add the two together for the final decision]. They might get into something but are fairly good. As long as we all keep an eye on them they should be fine. Plus it will be a little easier on them and give us another room.

Pros

- Extremely comfortable. We can geek out with noone the wiser.
- Will have cold bottled water and chips, people are welcome to BYOB and snacks.
- Tons of power jacks.
- Multiple rooms.
- Cats.

Cons

- Fairly large, but not anywhere near as much table space as the other two.
- Cats.

--------------------

No matter which way we decide, I think we should go for dinner at The Undermount once the main meet is over and go back to my Condo for a later meet with less people afterwards.
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 18
I'm going to say the party room, but the pub is really iffy on me. I'm a child, so their could be some problems with that, and I don't really want to be in a place that's busy with other people if we're doing head-fi stuff, but on the plus side, I've never played pool in real life, and I would love to get a game with some other guys
smily_headphones1.gif
. Have you checked up with the bar to see if it'de be okay to bring me in?

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
I'm going to say the party room, but the pub is really iffy on me. I'm a child, so their could be some problems with that, and I don't really want to be in a place that's busy with other people if we're doing head-fi stuff, but on the plus side, I've never played pool in real life, and I would love to get a game with some other guys. Have you checked up with the bar to see if it'de be okay to bring me in?

It is a 'bar and grill' not a nightclub. It is fine for youngsters to be there as long as they aren't drinking. There will be other people there, but not in the area we are in... though some may wander in out of curiosity. I know most of the regulars there though, so that should not be much of a problem.

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
It is a 'bar and grill' not a nightclub. It is fine for youngsters to be there as long as they aren't drinking. There will be other people there, but not in the area we are in... though some may wander in out of curiosity. I know most of the regulars there though, so that should not be much of a problem.

Hm, sounds interesting then, I had a feeling it was a kelseys sort of restraunt / bar.

Let me ask you, am I the only one worried about the outlets in both locations? I don't think running extension cords is a very good idea, and 4-5 outlets is certainly not enough -- if we have 20+ people coming, some may be bringing multiple things themselves and if we join surge protectors together that'de be unwise.

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 18
Order of preference:
1) Condo with cats
2) Condo no cats
3) Party Room
4) Bar

The outlet issue is the killer for the bar. Plus it's less "homey".
Party room would probably also be on the impersonal side, and maybe a little warm.
Your condo rocks. All the separate rooms makes for great atmosphere, where you can break out into little groups. The view is awesome, couches, access to food etc... makes it the best.

The only issue with your condo might be the size of the crowd. Maybe reserve the party room but plan on using your place. If too many people show up we can move down.

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 18
Before I vote, could you give more detail regarding the difference in size between your place and the party room (at your place)? Sometimes party rooms are not more spacious than the apartments, just all in 1 big room. I kind of like the 'quiet room' option, and this rules out the bar to me, seperate room or not, but this is a lot of people for an apartment or condo.
It would be good to meet your cats, too, especially the one in the picture saying 'touch my headphones and die!'

I agree with Jagwire's outlet concerns.

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 18
I voted for in your condo (your place).

For me, cats are not a problem ( I have one myself). She can be a little
evil_smiley.gif
, but she has never messed with my headphone gear.

I think, after going through all the options; it will have the most convenience to suit gear setup, available outlets ( I can't hang my Tice Micro Block from the ceiling at the bar
rolleyes.gif
, and I think it would still be too noisy to fully appreciate the stuff everyone is bringing.

The party room doesn't sound so good either (one big room, too few outlets).

I say, your condo unit has everything a small meet like this needs. If people object (or are allergic) to your cats, you can always keep them in the bedroom, like you suggested. I personally like animals, and wouldn't mind keeping an eye out for them. I volunteer, in fact; so you can set me up wherever they hang out (even in the bedroom). LOL!
tongue.gif

It also sounds like the least expensive option. Maybe once everyone has shown up; we could all go in on a "group pizza buy"
icon10.gif
! Shouldn't cost much if everyone chips in for a few pies.

Just my thoughts! Peace!

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 18
I'm going to have to vote condo. The party room is fine, but if it's a sweaty one, it's not good, especially with expensive electronics around. Let the cats out for a bit if you want. Also the bar would be slightly noisy, which would make the listening room impossible to have, just like the party room, unless you make the listening room the washroom (cans in cans we'd call it). I like the dinner idea, any idea when we'd go for dinner?

Jun 23, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Let me ask you, am I the only one worried about the outlets in both locations?

No, you're not. This is the main reason I am leaning towards the condo still.
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #10 of 18
Oops... I meant to vote cats let out.

I also think that the outlets make my place the best bet. As Yorgi pointed out, it is comfortable and relatively nice too.
wink.gif

I don't think the noise at the bar would be too bad, but it has the potential to be. The no air conditioning in the party room kills it for me.

I'll see how the votes go before making a decision though.

Jun 23, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #11 of 18
Noise at the bar concerns me. Plus as an ex-Hamiltonian I know what kind of sweatpanted riff raff could venture in and hock a loogie on someone's amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Why not plan to have it at home, but rent the party room anyway as a backup (in case things get too busy in the condo)? Or vice versa (in case power becomes a serious issue in the party room)?

I'm more than happy to chip in substantially more than a tooney for the party room/snacks/catering/cage dancers/catnip/whatever. I'm sure others will be too.

Lastly I'm all for letting the cats roam free -- after all, they were there first.

Jun 23, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #12 of 18
Condo with the cats restricted if we don't have too many people, or let them roam if we need another room.

2nd choice is party room, lack of outlets & AC worries me

The bar, while nice, is going to be a pain in the ass to haul gear to. Plus all the other issues.

Jun 23, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #13 of 18
Do head-fi meet virgins get to vote on this? No? Well I just did anyway.
tongue.gif

Let the cats run free!

HerdingCats.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by milhouse6
Noise at the bar concerns me. Plus as an ex-Hamiltonian I know what kind of sweatpanted riff raff could venture in and hock a loogie on someone's amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Why not plan to have it at home, but rent the party room anyway as a backup (in case things get too busy in the condo)? Or vice versa (in case power becomes a serious issue in the party room)?

I'm more than happy to chip in substantially more than a tooney for the party room/snacks/catering/cage dancers/catnip/whatever. I'm sure others will be too.

Lastly I'm all for letting the cats roam free -- after all, they were there first.

My sentiments exactly.

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #15 of 18
I voted for option 5: My Condo [JAGWIRE restricted to bedroom]
tongue.gif

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back