Hamilton Meet Impressions & Pictures
Sep 21, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
For me, that's just my mind de-programing from the 225's

Something like a Grado withdrawal treatment.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #47 of 59
I agree. It takes a while to get away from the Grado "shouting in your ear" soundstage to an actual soundstage. I imagine the Grado imaging to be like an actual soundstage, but in a tiny little sphere about an inch outside of my head
tongue.gif

"Hole" may have been a bit of an exaggeration on my part.

Sep 22, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #48 of 59
Thanks for all the compliments guys, my head is swelling.
redface.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by looser101
Like Rhydon, my first thought was that this setup was shy in the bass department. But the more I listened the more I realized that this was not necessarily so. It was more like a ruler flat frequency response. Nothing was over emphasized or was there anything missing. What really toke me by surprise was the clarity of this system.

This seems to be the general trend with my rig, it is a creeper. Generally people don't seem too impressed with it at first, but it grows on you. Coincidentally, I found the same thing with NotoriousBIG_PJ's rig at the Waterloo meet... I wasn't all that impressed with it at first, but left wanting it more than anything.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon
HP-2's, MS2i's with DynaHI, Beast, and PPX3 SLAM comparison. I cant wait!

Hamilton Head-fi meet PART II!

Sounds great man... I might have the HF-1's as well depending on how long we wait.
cool.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Don't forget a source shootout too.

Most definately. I am really regretting that we did not get around to it now. Maybe at the next meet I'll try to lay off the beer for the first little while so that I don't start talking incessently so early on.
tongue.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Not to mention all the stuff in my sig as I will make the next hamilton meet.

Music to my ears.
340smile.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
I found them dry, and boring. Maybe i'm just not used to the sound, but it just wasn't to my liking.

Not sure... what were you listening to out of curiosity? I find the AKG's anything but dry and boring.
confused.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Your polks had a decent sound, very good bass and mids, the highs sounded scratchy/harsh to me, but I was surprised how well the lil t-amp was able to drive them that loud. Definetly a nice budget speaker setup.

I've noticed the highs too... not sure what is up with that. For the price though I am very happy with this setup. I agree that the mids and bass are quite nice. Can't see myself needing a sub any time soon. Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Still, I'm puzzled that the modded K340 is being described as "dry" or having "hole" in midrange. Not having heard Philodox's version, I can't say for sure, but both the stock K340 and my modded K340 are pretty much the very opposite of being dry or having midrange hole.

"Dry" usually means to me the harmonic envelope is thin or there's no bloom and decay, but K340 is anything But. I guess one could use "dry" to describe lack of bass quantity, but K340 driven by Dynahi has Plenty of bass for my tastes. Of course, it's not PS1 bass, but it's there...

As far as midrange hole, if anything K340 has larger-than-life midrange density and richness and 3-D focus, anything but a "hole."

As others have pointed out, 'hole' was probably a bad word to use and I think the 'dry and boring' coments might be due to their somewhat reserved nature and stark contrast to the Grado's and the HD595. Most of the folks that actually spent a fair amount of time with them managed to get their AKG legs so to speak.
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
from the sounds of things, we could do another one next month and have twice the number of people and equiptment... sweeeeeeet

Exactly what I was thinking... what do you think would be the best time to hold it? I'd like to hear some input from Todd and Jamie on this as they are either A) Really far away or B) 'Notoriously' hard to attract to a meet.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 22, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #49 of 59
saturdays work the best I think, I can pretty much book off any saturday I feel like whenever I want, so count me in for whenever

Sep 22, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #50 of 59
Did someone leave a burnt CD with some creepy music at the meet?
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #52 of 59
hehehe... it's probably yours isn't it?

It starts of with some dude chanting: "Power, Power, Power, The Law, The Land"

Sep 23, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #53 of 59
Those living by death, will die by their own hand?

A Perfect Circle - Annihilation

listen to the disc, its got some good stuff on it
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #54 of 59
Ok, I'll give it a try... I just got a little weirded out by the first two tracks. It's been a while since I listened to anything like that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #55 of 59
well I have extremely varied tastes. Those 2 APC songs are probably their weirdest (or are up there) but I chose them for one of my demo discs because of the sound. You'll find some rock, alternative, classical (Jupiter and Mars by Holst), a bit of metal, some jazz and some craziness on that disc if I remember correctly. Can't hurt to broaden your horizons
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #56 of 59
Ah, I didnt realize it was a mixed CD. I will definately give it a listen in that case. If you've listened to the CD that I gave away at the meet all the way through I think you will see that my tastes are pretty varied as well... I tried not to put on anything that was too hard to handle though, so it is on the polite side.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #57 of 59
Forgot to mention this earlier:

Rhydon, you left that disc in my computer... you know, the one with the infamous 'track 6' that you kept thinking was 'track 7'? I think I had meant to make a copy of it before I started hitting the Whiskey. Who is it anyways? It is very familiar...

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #59 of 59
Oops... thanks.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back