Hamilton Meet Impressions & Pictures
Sep 20, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #32 of 59
AGH! With school having just started, and work, I completely forgot! I havent even been logged in to see any posts about the meet! Philodox, I appologize for not getting back to you, was too swamped! Dang, missed a meet
frown.gif

I really wanted to audition some stuff.... grrr... next time I guess.

Sep 20, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #33 of 59
No problem, It is too bad you could not make it.
frown.gif

From the general sentiment of the meet though, I wouldn't be surprised if we did a follow up some time soon... tkam was sorry he had to miss it as well, and if we can get him to come we might be able to drag NotoriousBIG_PJ out of his shell.
biggrin.gif

Also, if anyone who missed the meet would be interested, I'd be game to have a mini meet in the next month some time...

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #34 of 59
Hey gang,

I'm glad that I can finally post some impressions; I'll be somewhat happy when I get an internet connection working at home (I have half a life right now... woohoo!).

Tedson and I arrived late to the meet, so we weren't able to test everything. A lot of people were packing up gear and heading out, so I focused on the HP-2 set as they were going out the door (thanks Rhydon). They were very smooth... this could be partly due to Aerius' monster toob amp. The build quality is exceptional on these cans, but they do seem a bit heavy in comparison to my Alessandros... they are definitely built to last. Details and dynamics are excellent, but they make me wonder how the MS-2's would compare... did anybody do a direct comparison of these cans?

I also spent a lot of time with philodox and Aerius' AKG 340's... these were excellent in overall sound and imaging. There seemed to be a bit of a mid-range "hole" in the sound, but I'm used to the upfront nature of Grado designs, so my ears probably didn't have time to adjust. There was a definite difference between philodox's Headphile-modded set and Aerius', but I didn't do a direct comparison to investigate this further.

Looser's mystery SHA amp sounded good on my MS-1's. I didn't seem quite as clear and distinct as my Classic, and a bit warmer, but the design was probably not intended specifically for Grados. Also, it was running quite warm... even the knob was toasty. Excellent for those long Canadian winter nights.
tongue.gif

I'm really sorry that I missed hearing the Sennheiser HD595's, since they seem to have a different sound from the 600-series. Also, I would have liked to hear the Headamp GS-1, since I was very close to getting the Headamp Gilmore Lite before Norm sold his last Headsave Classics.

I had a great time with the guys as the last meet at Tomek's, and I hope we set another meet sooner rather than later. I'll post more impressions as time allows, and avoid making any further references to vegetarianism and customs officials. Perhaps we'll have a sign at the door of the next meet:

"Please check all weapons at the door. Thank you, and enjoy the music."
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
There seemed to be a bit of a mid-range "hole" in the sound, but I'm used to the upfront nature of Grado designs, so my ears probably didn't have time to adjust.

I think I know what you are referring to here and I wouldn't exactly call it a hole... I'd need more time with the Grado's to say for sure though. I do know that the midrange of the Grado's and AKG's are both quite different yet somehow equally enticing. This is part of what is finally bringing me around and forcing me to reconsider Grado headphones as an option in the future.
cool.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #36 of 59
This time around I will tackle some impressions of Philodox main setup. The beautiful Eastsound CD-E5 (with it's equally nice, extruded aluminium remote), the diMarzio m-path interconnects, the Veda Audio DynaHi (what a power monster) and finally but not least, the heavily modded AKG K340.

Like Rhydon, my first thought was that this setup was shy in the bass department. But the more I listened the more I realized that this was not necessarily so. It was more like a ruler flat frequency response. Nothing was over emphasized or was there anything missing. What really toke me by surprise was the clarity of this system.

The bass had beautiful extension and resolution. I never thought this possible from a headphone. The way I figure it, bass is probably the hardest thing for a headphone to get right. The K340 did it with ease.

In fact there was nothing that I could put my finger on that this well matched system didn't do well.

Unfortunately we never did a source comparison but I'm sure that any deficiencies would of been readily apparent.

Since like Philodox I like my music loud, other listeners may have a completely different experience.

Next up will be Yorgi's setup.

-R-

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon
HP-2's, MS2i's with DynaHI, Beast, and PPX3 SLAM comparison. I cant wait!

Hamilton Head-fi meet PART II!

Don't forget a source shootout too
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #41 of 59
Sorry for not getting around to posting my impressions yet, been a crazy week at work.

First off, it was a lot of fun, I didn't get a chance to compare everything I wanted, (eastsound vs anything) mainly. But I did get to listen to it a lot at least.

I loved the GS-1 headamp, I definetly want one of these, they sound great with the senns. I listened to the dynahi also with my senns, and the sound was very good, but by then I had a few beers so I don't remember exactly how it sounded lol.

I don't know, if its just the AGK house sound, or what, but I didn't really like the akg 340s at all. I found them dry, and boring. Maybe i'm just not used to the sound, but it just wasn't to my liking.

The main thing that struck me with the eastsound, was its speed and impact, I really liked that, I would of liked to compare it to my source though, next time
biggrin.gif

I enjoyed all the other a/b components, and hope that next time, we should setup a more organized A/B table, for swapping parts in and out to do comparissons. I think thats something a lot of people like to do.

Your polks had a decent sound, very good bass and mids, the highs sounded scratchy/harsh to me, but I was surprised how well the lil t-amp was able to drive them that loud. Definetly a nice budget speaker setup.

I had a good time, and I am looking forward to my next meet, it was a lot of fun, and you were a great host
600smile.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #42 of 59
Sounds like you guys had great fun!

Still, I'm puzzled that the modded K340 is being described as "dry" or having "hole" in midrange. Not having heard Philodox's version, I can't say for sure, but both the stock K340 and my modded K340 are pretty much the very opposite of being dry or having midrange hole.

"Dry" usually means to me the harmonic envelope is thin or there's no bloom and decay, but K340 is anything BuT. I guess one could use "dry" to describe lack of bass quantity, but K340 driven by Dynahi has Plenty of bass for my tastes. Of course, it's not PS1 bass, but it's there...

As far as midrange hole, if anything K340 has larger-than-life midrange density and richness and 3-D focus, anything but a "hole."

I'm very perplexed indeed...

Sep 21, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #43 of 59
Indeed.

Biggie.

Sep 21, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #44 of 59
from the sounds of things, we could do another one next month and have twice the number of people and equiptment... sweeeeeeet

Sep 21, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #45 of 59
On the K340 sounding thin & having a hole in the midrange, I notice that as well when I've been listening to my Grado 225 for a while and switch back to the K340. For me, that's just my mind de-programing from the 225's midbass hump and forward midrange, as well as the K340 actually having a soundstage and putting sounds in the proper distance where they should be. These effects will combine to make it sound wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back