Half murdered Sony D-303: help me to save her! (and me!)
Apr 6, 2011 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Malefoda

Head-Fier
Hi there,

short story, I've found a cheap D-303 on fleaBay, even if not in mint shape it was sold as fully working. It's not, 9V DC adapter does not power up the beast :'(
Not so cheap after all. I'm more than sad, I'm feeling cheated, can hardly sit on a chair...

I've tried to search the forum, can't find a thread related with ease, sorry if there are some, did not find them.

Anyway, maybe we can find what's wrong? As it plays like a charm on 2x 1.5V batteries, maybe it can be fixed.
First, do some of you found that some not-so-perfect-adapter-plug may cause problem? Mine is an aftermaket universal adapter, I've triple checked polarity and voltage (9.54V) before plug-in. I have a 4.5V from a long time lost D-121, but that's way too few.

Second possibility, maybe something is fried, a passive part can be changed, like a rectifier or a resistor, but if it's an IC I surrender. Having the service manual I can't find the way it's working, there is a kind of voltage detector but how does that work? Default set on batteries? Still active but a "between plug and circuit" part is gone?

Here is a small part of the circuit, if that may help... I'm willing to open it and test what I can...
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3125/d303ps.gif

Oh guys, I hate this feeling!

Matthieu

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 3
Yes, you can throw me stones.
Once again I've pushed the "panic!" button without thinking....
The needed plug ends with a plastic ring wich pushes a contact off. My newer wall adapter does not have that, just full contact out and in, not that third part. If needed I can make pics but I guess that was clear for all... but me :'(

Time to check upgrade possibilites!
DC coupling caps : 4.7µF Tantalum (at least they look like), line out and headamp, then 1µF tantalum prioir to headamp, then 220µF to headphones (Grado user, 330 Panasonic FC bypassed by film planned).
What can I do for these SMD Tants?
Some power caps also maybe, OsCon around digital IC...
Also the op amp ( it's a single op amp version, check here : http://www.jd-bbs.com/viewthread.php?tid=2542855&page=1#pid132269116 ), worth swap it? Got some SOIC around, AD8620 and AD8599 in hands. I have no idea of the voltage, I can't find it on FSM).

All inputs welcome! (not too much stones if possible...).

Matthieu

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 3
Maybe it sounds overkill for an outdated PCDP? If some have done mods and found not worth the time and parts please tell!
Evening ideas...
The bottom of the PCB. In clear areas:
The only op amp (rev. 14, the rev. 12 has two),
the coupling caps before line out, 4.7µF tants bypassed by some tiny smd, don't look like ceramic but more like PPS or very tiny films,
the solder side of the headphones 220µF caps,
one of the 2 1µF tantalum coupling caps before the headphone amps.
I've checked and there is DC  each time, no removal possible.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/2143/d303pcbb.jpg

There is some space left for OEM rechargeable Sony batteries, that space can be used for film caps like MKT, but will they be better than those tantalum?
Or for big electrolytics like Silmic II at the headphone out?

Matthieu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back