Hakko? Weller? Other? Help me choose a Soldering Iron
Jun 2, 2009 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Zentactics

New Head-Fier
To all,

I am putting together my first PCB and realize that it is time to upgrade my soldering irons. (a $10 rat shack pencil and a 35 year old Sears pistol grip) Over the years, I have used theses to work on everything from interconnects and old computer boards, but I really have to upgrade. A lousy craftsman blames his tools, but then again Michelangelo never painted with a roller.

Could you all make a few recommendations? I would be really interested in hearing from those who have tried a few soldering stations.

Here are my criteria:
•I hope to do a bit of PCB - surface mount work (Starving Student and a T-amp surface mount) and build a few cables.
•Under $150 (is this reasonable?)
•I only will be doing this once or twice a year
•I hope to make this my LAST iron, so quality is important

So far I have seen good reviews on the Hakko 936 and it seems inexpensive (under $100) but will I want a better one in the future if I do more surface mount work?

I have also seen a lot of good reviews on Wellers but don’t understand the pros and cons between the models. Why a WES51 vs. a WTCPT?, What is the difference between the analog WES51 vs. a digital WESD51? Is one better for working on record players, and the other for a cd players?
atsmile.gif
atsmile.gif

Thanks for all of your responses!

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 21
I really like the Pace irons. The intelliheat systems are amazing and can sometimes be found for short money on eBay. PACE ST 50 INTELLIHEAT SOLDERING STATION - eBay (item 180363688599 end time Jun-07-09 15:45:43 PDT)

Wellers are simply toys in my opinion. The Hakkos I haven't used, but I did have a Hakko desoldering tool once, it worked out rather nicely. The place I'm working at right now has Metcals and JBCs, both of which I hate. The Metcals I was excited to use, then realized all of the problems they have right away. The Metcal doesn't allow for temperature control, and it has a limited assortment of tips. The JBC tries to be a smart iron and monitors everything, even the handle storage rack. So, if you plug the wrong tool into the wrong rack, you're porked. In a big lab it is a problem as people come in all the time and just mess with stuff.

My favorite systems: Pace.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 21
I've relied on Hakko for several years now. I have a desoldering station with two digitally controlled 936 type irons. It's worked well for me and I can't see upgrading.

The Pace irons look nice, but I'm going to hold off upgrading for now.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 21
I've owned both the Hacko 936 and also two Wellers (WLC100 and WES51). I liked the 936 and the WES51 about the same, they both work very well and have a broad range of temp adjustment. I ultimately went with the WES51 because of its auto-shutoff feature and it's been working great for me for over a year now. Not sure what would make someone refer to it as a toy. We're not talking about professional grade equipment here.

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 21
I've been happy with my Hakko 936ESD. Priced under 80.00 USD.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #11 of 21
Thanks all,

You guys seem to think that all of my choices are okay and so far no one has expressed a compelling reason not to buy one over another, so I guess all will work for my needs. I will read the thread from zkool and make a decision.

I do like the idea of the auto shut off on the Weller. I have a really bad habit of working on things at odd hours of the morning and often forget to turn things off.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again!

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 21
I have a Metcal SP200 and its pretty amazing, got it used for $180 on eBay (used power supply, new everything else, pretty sweet).

At $300 new it's not for everyone but it uses a way different technology than other irons, it really does hold a temperature perfectly and never loses heat, very consistent and powerful. It also has a technology where it somehow knows what heat to be at, so there's no heat adjustment.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 21
I have a Weller WD1001 which I like a lot. It's close to your range if you hunt around for prices. The Pencil is nice and light and very fine yet 65 or 80W whichever you get. The tips are expensive though. Make sure whatever you get has a weide array of tips.

Interesting article about the Metcal

Tweakers' Asylum: REVIEW: Metcal SP200 Other by Tom §.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #14 of 21
If you want to go cheap, avoid Radio Shack. I bought one and it didn't last long, just kinda fell apart. It sucked. However, I'm currently using an iron from sears with replacable tips. its been serving me well so far. Someday I'd love to get a Hakko 936. Heard great things about it.

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #15 of 21
A final note, I went ahead and followed Delta's advice and got the Pace iron. I love it and now need to find a supplier who sells a variety of tips.

As a side note, the pace has an auto shut off feature too. No fear of burning down my house at 4 am.

Thanks guys!

Zen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back