Hakko 936 and Clones. Differences.
Jan 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #31 of 37
Thanks, that thread has confirmed my suspicions.
On a related note there is the new model Hakko fx-888, but all I could find about it is here:
Silicon Chip Online - Review: Hakko's FX-888 SMD-Safe Soldering Station

It's behind a pay wall so you can't see the whole article, but the summary suggests that it is an improved version of the 936.However, it's more expensive than the 936, and looks horribly ugly.Anybody used this model?

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #32 of 37
On the Hakko website there was a comparison of 936 and it's replacement, the 888.
It seems like an improvement of an already great product.

I think that, for the time being, it's not available in the US (the 936 isn't officially discontinued there yet).
Try the European website for more info.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #33 of 37
Yeah, I'm in Australia and it's available here for around 160-180AUD. However, there is also the Goot rx-711as for around $180AUD with postage from GOOT RX-711AS Temperature Controlled Lead-free Soldering Station.The Goot station retails for $250-300 AUD here, however, this is because the local retailers seem to be pretending that .5 AUD = 1 USD even though it's closer to .9 AUD = 1 USD.What is even more insulting is that Jaycar (Australian electronics store) also ships to the USA, and the price for the Goot station is $145 USD.So Americans get a better price then we do from the same shop!

That being said, I ended up fixing my old Micron soldering station, which works fine and is a decent enough soldering station.I just thought I'd post some of my research in case it's useful to someone
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by darklegion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Goot station retails for $250-300 AUD here, however, this is because the local retailers seem to be pretending that .5 AUD = 1 USD even though it's closer to .9 AUD = 1 USD.What is even more insulting is that Jaycar (Australian electronics store) also ships to the USA, and the price for the Goot station is $145 USD.So Americans get a better price then we do from the same shop!

I hate that! We get that an awful lot here in the UK too - British companies selling products made in the UK in the states for less than they will sell them to us! Something not quite right there
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by chum_2000_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
British companies selling products made in the UK in the states for less than they will sell them to us! Something not quite right there
frown.gif

Part of that is the taxes. UK prices generally include VAT while prices advertised in the US don't include sales tax.

Rest is market segmentation. They charge more in the UK because they can
frown.gif

On the bright side, a few things do cost less here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back