Hakko 936 and Clones. Differences.
Dec 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Google is your friend Aoyue 936 - Google Search

Ah - $40 + shipping.

I'm looking at the Aoyue 937+. Aside from the snazzy digital display, it's also got a 45W heating element, versus the 35W in the 936. For another $10, it looks like a nice price.

Also, there's a good deal on Vellemans at the local radio shack - IIRC, they're down to $65 for the fancy LCD temperature-regulated model. Is anyone familiar with these?

Dec 25, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the tips interchangeable?

Yes. Seems like iron is the clone of Hakko, and I believe that Hakko tips are supported.

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #18 of 37
It's worth questioning....

There's several of these hakko clones, or just one with different names. They might not all be the same.

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #19 of 37
Fry's has sold the Hakko 936 at $50 from time-to-time. The ones I've talked to who have been able to compare the clone with the real thing - the clones get hot in the handle, the Hakko stays cool.

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fry's has sold the Hakko 936 at $50 from time-to-time. The ones I've talked to who have been able to compare the clone with the real thing - the clones get hot in the handle, the Hakko stays cool.

yeah, thats true. But it's hardly a big deal. It gets warm in the handle.. not really hot.

Certainly not worth the extra $40 or so to get a real one.

course, if I had a change to buy one at $50.. and I didn't already have the clone, I'd be all over it.

Though... if the real thing has a nice warranty, it might be worth it. I do already have tips that should work for it anyway.

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spasticteapot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone here have any familiarity with the Velleman/RadioShack irons?

Radio Shack and poor quality are synonymous. Best go elsewhere.

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #23 of 37
FWIW, I've never had a problem with handle heat on my CSI clone but I can't speak for all of them. I suspect the main difference is quality of the PCB/components and perhaps the heating element.

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #24 of 37
yes well I can confirm the ayoue elements are different and not in a pleasant way. this does not compare directly because I bought an ayoue 950 set of hot tweezers. I have a hakko 936 that I use heavily every day and never have had any problem with it whatsoever; I change tips many times a day.

the tweezers however turned up and had the large tips installed and I wanted to use the fine tips for the first job. I managed to change one side without issue, but the other side was wedged on there pretty good, like the manufacturing tolerances were out. so I tried to gently coax it off the way I would with the hakko if its still hot and it wouldnt budge, I tried again but with a tiny bit of twisting (again a method that works without fail on the hakko) with my fingers and the element crumbled and the end of it remained in the tip. I used a minimum of force, really gently. so I didnt even get to use mine before it was damaged due to manufacture defect. the element appears to be lighter and less dense, generally of poorer quality than the hakko, the pot also has a cheaper feel about it.

I contacted the seller and he tried to blame it on me; saying I obviously didnt follow the instructions properly because I didnt read the manual before changing the tips lol. i'm sorry, but I dont know about you. after many hundreds of tip changes on the hakko I think i'm pretty ready to do this without reading the manual. its the same process exactly.

so i've ordered a new element from elsewhere and in the meantime i'm using it with one large tip and one fine
wink.gif
takes much longer to heat up on that side, but its still useable in a rudimentary way.

so I wont be buying ayoue again. If you shop around its only a matter of a small saving really anyway and for me, not worth the trouble it caused.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #25 of 37
Had an Aoyue last 2 weeks, threw it in the trash and bought a Hakko which has been working great for 2 years, just whish I knew where to buy tips for it cheap.

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #27 of 37
I have a 'Gordak 936' which just looks like the Hakko or the one on page 1 of this thread.

I've had it nearly three years and it has been faultless. The pencil does get a little warm towards the front and I assumed this was normal but maybe it is a clone issue. In use it is not a problem, I've spent 5hrs+ with it in my hand no issues.

Just built a 4 board Beta 22 and a Sigma 22 without issue, works really well and appears to take the Hakko tips.

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #28 of 37
I was looking at the Gordak unit as well..
There is an ebay seller who describes Gordak Industrial Tools as an "Industrial Sister Company to Hakko" (whatever that means).
He also sells original Hakko 936 units as well as the Gordak 936A (60W version of the 936)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back