Hair loss
Oct 18, 2008 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

-NaCl-

Head-Fier
Maybe I am just a bit paranoid, but would wearing headband causes hair loss since it does rub against the hair or the forehead. I do recall hearing something people who wear high socks tend to have less leg hair since the sock rub against their legs and removes some of the hair.

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 17
I am positive that it will happen.
The additional loss will most probably not be noticeable though, as we have 10,000's hairs up there...
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 17
Your hair is constantly falling out and re-growing. This is obvious if you have long hair.
It is normal to brush your hair to remove these hairs, and there are a lot of them.
Wearing a headband may just have an effect similar to brushing, removing a lot of the hair that is falling out, or pulling out other hairs.

If those people have less hair on their legs it is because it is falling out at a greater rate... if they stopped wearing longer socks I think it would grow out normally.
I doubt that long socks reducing leg hair by rubbing against it is true though.

Maybe hairs have a limited number of times they can fall out, in which case hairbands would accelerate the permanent loss of hair. But unless that has been proven it is unlikely to be true (I'm sure a lot of research has been done into hair loss)

It seems to require a lot of force to pull out a hair by the way, I can't see socks and headbands being very good at pulling out healthy hairs.
Do you yell in pain like you are getting a leg wax when you take off your socks?
tongue.gif

And a simple experiment... rub your fingers across your arm/leg for a while and see how many hairs fall out... none
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by silencewithin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh... hair follicles grow only about 20 hairs in their lifetime according to wikipedia. Interesting!

Which Page? I have not heard that before and am interested to read it.

As to the OP, I don"t think that wearing headphones is much like wearing socks in that whie wearing sock while walking around the sock will be constantly rubbing against the leg. Wearing headphines (unless walking around) the headband tends to be static.

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by silencewithin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh... hair follicles grow only about 20 hairs in their lifetime according to wikipedia. Interesting!

Let me go edit that to say "on average" instead of "only" really quick, before people get confused once again by the infamous wikipedia. Everyone should know by now that its information is often slightly farther from the truth then a good source.

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by -NaCl- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I am just a bit paranoid, but would wearing headband causes hair loss since it does rub against the hair or the forehead. I do recall hearing something people who wear high socks tend to have less leg hair since the sock rub against their legs and removes some of the hair.

Don't put socks on yer head either. Just stop wearing socks altogether, matter of fact just stop wearing headbands, heck just go round naked.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 17
Constant worrying cause hair loss too, have you think about that?
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 17
Ah it all makes sense now! I have no pubes because I wear my underwear too tight.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 17
I don't think wearing anything on your head is going to cause hair loss. You may have some hairs fall or be pulled out, but they should grow back. Actual hairloss is caused by a hormonal thing.

On a side note, regarding the hairy leg and socks thing. My legs are pretty hairy except for the lower areas which are virtually hair free. I've always worn high socks so I'm wondering if that somehow inhibited the growth in those areas during my hair growing years.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 17
People really worry about strange things.
I would be more worried about long term impact on my hearing from using headphones, than hair loss.

But thats just me.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah it all makes sense now! I have no pubes because I wear my underwear too tight.

These are one of ht lines that you pray thart they're trying to be comical, if not then, damn.

Think of it this way most females know and reconize that young men have hair loss because of testosterone and it actually becomes a turn on.

The fully shaved head look is in, and it does you some looks from across the bar. So don't worry about it, if you have hair sure you can brush it and what not. But to remove the hassle and still look cool? priceless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back