Hagerman Audio Labs "Tuba"
Nov 7, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #16 of 383
Jim,

Thanks for the update, when i was moving your amp around the heft and solidness of it I assumed this has to be a steel case! Even when I looked inside I didnt see any shiny aluminum etc.

I updated my reviews!

Looking forward to trying some NOS EL84's in the Tuba.....

...and not looking forward to parting with it!!

Alex

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #18 of 383
Good Morning!

Listening this am with the Tuba and HD600's, why?

Because its getting closer to sending the unit back to its "home"...

The difference between the HD 600's and the Clears are night and day...both really good...

The Senn house sound here is very, very evident! Crisp, clean and articulate...light saber articulate...

Once again my thought is this amp is so quiet it allows these cans to really allow them to be what Senn designed them to be soundwise.

With live recordings the ability to hear what the audience is doing, make for a really awesome listening session..

Melody Gardots My One and Only Thrill, "Your Heart Is As Black As Night"...come alive, a steamy , sulty piece, with pianos, brass, and Melodys beautiful voice.....

For the last week I have spent at least 2-3 hours with the amp and have stopped comparing finding its just fun to listen to the music and re-discover the sound and content...

Ah life is good!

Alex

Nov 8, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #19 of 383
I put my order in this morning. Now, I do my best to patiently wait for it to arrive. I suppose I have to go to work, so sitting by the door isn't really an option. I will be back with my impressions once I have spent some quality time with it.

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #21 of 383
Hello,

I just received a set of NOS RCA 7189's from Jim at Hagerman Audio Labs in Honolulu.

Jim asked me if I was interested in trying out some different tubes and I of course said "Yes!".

They arrived today via USPS Priority 3 -day mail, on a Sunday!

Here is what I got:

image.php

Now for me its hard to really test for differences objectively with tubes because of the time it takes to power down and let the tubes cool down so
you wont burn your fingers etc, then insert the new ones, power up and let them warm up.

Too much time goes by and makes it hard to be objective.

So I have a method I use to take some of that pain away and reduce the time in between swaps to some extent...

What I do is use my dac with y adapters to connect to two amps, one is my reference amp, one that I have had hundreds and hundreds of hours on and know its characteristics
pretty well, the other is the amp that I am going to swap tubes out in.

In my case the test amp is the TUBA and I have probably 20 hours of listening with it in the past week...with the stock Mullard EL84's....and its been a great experience.

So I listen for an hour or so with a list of demo cuts I am used to and I use my less than 2 second swap from one amp to the other (level set of course) and do this over
the course of an hour across several songs...

Then after doing this I power down the test amp, remove and insert the new tubes and re-power up and start this hour or so listen to the same songs and swapping
in between the amps.

At least I have a reference amp that I am familiar with and material I am familiar with..so for me this is a good as it gets!

So how did the NOS RCA 7189's work?

Well in short, very nicely!

They seem to be very quiet, no hum, hiss or noise with the volume and either output jack of the Tuba. Dead silent.

One noticeable thing is they are very "sharp" or the attack when listening comes across to me as fast, crisp....no room for error with these tubes....

This adds to the overall dynamic presentation of whatever your listening to, and if its good material is fantastic, if its medicore its painful!

They seem to make the Tuba have the sharpness of a SS amp but with holographic clear imaging...the Tuba is so dang quiet at times with these tubes
I think I am not listening with a tube amp!

The tonality with these compared to the stock tubes is better to me....listening to Feist, Let It Die and When I Was A Young Girl...the tone of the bass etc was a 10 out of a 10.

I don't know how much a matched set of NOS RCA 7189's are but with these tubes and the Tuba you will have a very, very nice setup that will pair with a wide variety of headphones.

Either set of tubes will make you smile, but please mister, may I have some more of those RCA 7189's ?

Thank you to Jim at Hagerman Audio Labs....for the loan of the amp and tubes.

Now I have to save my retirement pennies !!

The Tuba will be winging its way back to sunny Hawaii!

Alex

Nov 27, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #25 of 383
Hi, everyone. I'm considering getting this AMP for my Audeze lcd-3, wondering if it has enough power for them. Has anybody tried lcd-3's with the Tuba? I've zero experience with tube amps, what kind of dac will benefit from tubes more? Or any decent will do?
Thanks for your help!

Nov 27, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #26 of 383
I have not tried LCD-3 yet. Sundara work well, but do not get very loud. Grados go super loud (ear-splitting) as do HD600. Very loud would be DT990. According to LCD-3 specifications, they should work nicely with plenty of headroom.

jh

Dec 2, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #27 of 383
<SNIP>
Some may not know or care what a parafeed amp is all about, but there have been several out there, one comes to mind is the The ECP Audio / Beezar Torpedo Headphone Amplifier. This amp had some warts, noise etc...the Tuba is totally free from any noise. Jim posts a complete schematic of the amp online in the downloadable Tuba users manual.
</SNIP>
Alex

I'm not trying to draw attention away from Jim's new amp. He has always offered great value with his products. I've bought some of his stuff, too.

However, you are reporting obsolete information about the ECP Audio/Beezar Torpedo. All of the noise issues were eventually solved with the Torpedo and supplemental parts were freely given to all owners. We've since moved on to other parafeed designs, but they do not compete in the same price category with Jim's offering here.

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #28 of 383
Thanks for the update Tom!

I will take a look at your new parafeed designs, I assume they are on your website?

I have never had the chance to listen with one of these, maybe someday!!

All the best
Alex

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #30 of 383
I've just had one land for review, and have to say it looks a treat with the optional walnut sides - I'd go so far as to call them a 'mandatory'.

Yup. Now I need to change my pants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back